How Much Has This Delayed Winds?

Seriously, hundreds of thousands of words and countless hours were pored into this book, and this book is not The Winds of Winter. How much do you think this has delayed the next book in the series? And do the owners of this site take any responsibility for it, or are they just going to shirk it and pretend they had a right to cash in on their friendship with George?

Yes yes, it's all well and good to pretend that fans have no right to be upset that the author is doing everything except the one thing that is expected of him, but I'm asking a quesiton about reality.

I'm curious how much delay to the series this pointless exercise has caused. And I hope either Elio or Linda have the constitution to answer. After all, it's their fault.

Yes yes, it's all well and good to pretend that fans have no right to be upset that the author is doing everything except the one thing that is expected of him, but I'm asking a quesiton about reality.

I'm curious how much delay to the series this pointless exercise has caused. And I hope either Elio or Linda have the constitution to answer. After all, it's their fault.

I suggest you listen to the video that Ran and Linda posted regarding their work on the WoIaF. You'll hear them discuss GRRM's writing process and the work that went into this book (which I am totally appreciative of, and look forward to reading).

Westeros.org on... The World of Ice and Fire

Also, as Gaiman says, GRRM is not your bitch.

I suggest you listen to the video that Ran and Linda posted regarding their work

Ah, I see. So he used the WOIAF as a write'rs block-breaker, and a palate cleanser. Well, that makes me feel better.

Also, as Gaiman says, GRRM is not your bitch.

LOL at the Gaiman drones. You guys are too funny.

Ah, I see. So he used the WOIAF as a write'rs block-breaker, and a palate cleanser. Well, that makes me feel better.

LOL at the Gaiman drones. You guys are too funny.

I'm quite happy that we'll get pieces of the overall story this October, and it's pretty exciting to think that this book will make or break some theories! I'd much rather read a finely tuned Winds than a story that doesn't fit the overarching series. I can imagine that certain details (e.g. Jon's "death") may need to be worked out.

Some MC introduced GRRM as "definitely not your bitch" at Comicon,and that has always stuck with me! :P

Q: Has the World delayed the release of TWoW?

A: No. In order for it to get released, George needs to, not just finish it, but start writing it. I see no indication that he has, other than re-polishing leftovers. My desire to read TWoW diminishes with every published extract of the World book because, in all honesty, it doesn't hold a candle to the first three books.

And, yes, that Gaiman quote is beyond tiresome. Calling yourself a professional writer calls for one thing - professionalism.

He's said that he's a quarter finished. This was a year ago, at the Season Three premeir of GoT. Given that he had been writing for about a year at that point, it wouldn't be a terrible pace. However, you have to factor in the carry-over chapters that he has, which means that even with a healthy chunk of the book already written, he's still only 1/4 of the way through. The prognosis doesn't look so good anymore.

Side stuff like this upsets me, because it's niche bullshit that nobody cares about. We all want Winds, not this stupid fake history book. Yeah, maybe after it's all said and done, sure, but in the video the site owners said themselves that they may need to release a revised version after the series is finished. So this was just a money-grab. They're cashing in on the success of the series, not actually giving us anything of value.

Just write the book, George.

Well,

Tool's my favourite band, they released their last album in 2006(!) and have been writing a new one (first mentioned) since 2009.

So at this point I am keeping bets what will be sooner; the new Tool album or the Winds of Winter. :)

22 May, 2014 (10:12am)
TOOL WRITING UPDATE

The other day an insider (and by "insider" I mean truly an insider!) told me that since getting back to working on material for the next record, things have been going VERY well. Now, don't read more into this than it suggests - which is that there have been some good writing/arranging sessions as of late. Progress!.. We'll take that any day!

I don't like the Gaiman comment. IMO, a writer has the moral obligation to finish what he started. However, he/she also has a moral obligation to deliver a quality product to the best of his/her abilities. And that takes presedence over a speedy release imo.

I do think you're being harsh though. GRRM got a little carried away, but he's still working on the main story. And to say no one cares about TWOIAF is an overstatement. I think many of the posters on these boards, including me, are stoked to get our hand on background material. We also want WoW of course, but we'll get that when we get that.

As far as I remember from what Ran let slip over the years, GRRM's contributions to TWOIAF (and the material that was edited down to become TPatQ and the upcoming Rogue Prince), were written while he was working on ADwD and he was being stumped by the Meerense knot, suffering from the writer's block, etc. So, I'd venture to guess that it didn't delay Winds of Winter at all.

And some of us are very interested in all that background info, thank you very much.

Side stuff like this upsets me, because it's niche bullshit that nobody cares about. We all want Winds, not this stupid fake history book. Yeah, maybe after it's all said and done, sure, but in the video the site owners said themselves that they may need to release a revised version after the series is finished. So this was just a money-grab. They're cashing in on the success of the series, not actually giving us anything of value.

Just write the book, George.

Don't speak for everyone else.

Archived