Anybody here in to boxing?!

Skythe1

I don't know if anyone cares, but Kell Brook is a world champion now. Finally, I'm pleased for him.

His next fight will almost certainly be against Amir Khan, which is a massive matchup in the UK and could probably happen at Wembley.

Will Khan take that fight? He seems to be angling for a fight with Mayweather, which wouldnt happen until 2015 so maybe he'll risk a fight with Brook in between.

Brook looked sharp last night, but I have to say Porter didnt look great and as a whole the fight was a stinker.

Will Khan take that fight? He seems to be angling for a fight with Mayweather, which wouldnt happen until 2015 so maybe he'll risk a fight with Brook in between.

He almost has to. He's been ridiculously inactive over the past year because, angling for that Mayweather fight, he's backed out of other opportunities, which is how Maidana got the jump over him in the first place (Khan backed out of an Alexander fight to wait on Floyd, the same month, Maidana beat Broner and got attention).

He's been talking about Alexander or Guerrero in December but Brook makes much more sensev in terms of exposure. Any one of them is a risk to him, despite Khan being very disrespectful and talking about Alexander or Guerrero as 'tickover' fights. If he fights no-one, the risk is Brook will and put himself firmly on the Mayweather map himself (of course, if Brook beats Khan, which he should, that will happen anyway, but...).

Brook will either face his mandatory Bundo (the guy who beat perennial prospect Frankie Gavin)or Khan if a Mayweather or Pac fight looks unlikely. Very composed performance against an athletically talented and physical as hell opponent. Porter isn't that skilled as a purer boxer though and was badly shown up at times.

As for GGG facing any of the big money spinners? Not a chance in Hell Cotto will be interested and though Alvarez would probably be up for it I imagine his advisers would quickly cure him of that nonsense. Golovkin has been constantly avoided throughout his career, Sturm practically had a restraining order against him.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little note for anyone who might be interested, although being a UK fight it's at an awkward time for boxing in NA (rounds out about 2pm Eastern Time I gather), Carl Frampton vs Kiko Martinez should be a good fight later on tonight. Frampton beat him reasonably convincingly last time they fought but Martinez has improved since then and won a world title, so you've got the interesting position of one fighter looking for a belt, but the other fighter looking for revenge.

I raise this mostly because Frampton, although he's at an unfashionably low weight, is being touted by those who know boxing as possibly Froch's heir as the best British boxer going once he retires (though, of course, being from Belfast the claim of him as 'British' could be controversial - he presents as largely non-political himself, but still). Having watched back a few of his fights recently, I'm inclined to agree that he's on the way at least. Plus neither fighter is going to shy away, so it'll be exiting. Given the other big fight of the weekend is Adrian 'dickhead' Broner vs some nobody, that's good.

Also the winner is a potential future opponent for the magnificent (if sometime patience-requiring) Guillermo Rigondeaux, and given the disaster that HBO turned his career into after he ruined their plans for Nonito Donaire, I'm really hoping for him to get some quality fights asap.

Frampton Martinez should be a good fight, and thankfully Wealth TV is airing it so I can watch it live on television. I've seen Two of Martinez's fights post Frampton, and while he won both pretty convincingly, nothing I saw makes me think this rematch will end differently.

I hope Frampton gets matched up with Leo Santa Cruz if he wins. Rigondeux is a great fighter, but frankly I hate watching him fight.

Speaking of Kell Brook apparently he was stabbed in the leg while on holiday in Tenerife. Hopefull he'll be ok.

Yeah. Not even the first time in his life he's been knifed. Hopefully he'll be fine.

Rigondeux is a great fighter, but frankly I hate watching him fight.

I like Rigondeaux against the right opponent. The problem is he keeps being put in against other defensive counterpunchers. He isn't going to take the lead, because he doesn't need to, and they won't, because they're all too scared of his power, so it ends up just being a waiting game (which he wins, invariably). Even Donaire wasn't particularly keen to get too close, despite having the chin to risk it and the power to reward the risk - though I enjoyed that fight when I watched it back.

Put him in against someone willing to come after him (which Santa Cruz will certainly do and Frampton I think is comfortable with) then you not only give him something to do defensively but give him more reason to let his fists go as well. If there was any sense in boxing matchmaking, he'd be fighting both of those within a year (providing Frampton wins tonight, of course) but there isn't so he probably won't. Though it's a hell of a lot more likely now that he's free of his Top Rank contract.

I just think the way HBO treated him is a disgrace. How can they be so dismissive of him when they try so hard to hype Andre Ward, who might be just as good if not better (certainly more proven at pro level), but is even less interesting to watch.

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this thread just to share the unlikely news, in light of that last discussion, that Rigondeaux' latest fight, this afternoon against a fighter apparently well-regarded in Japan but unknown outside of it, turned out to be a highly entertaining war. Particularly good from round five onwards.

Also, it turns out that although their fight scene does tend to be quite insular (hence boxers with great records and who turn out to be rather good being completely unknown in the west), they do quite appreciate globally recognised fighters going to them- rumours are that this fight was watched by thirty-two million people. Which, if true, is nearly twenty times the size of the biggest boxing audience in the US this year.

• 2 months later...

I might end up banging a lonely drum in this thread especially since the Pac-Pretty Boy fight has its own, but I figure it's worth a bump because the unofficial spring season of boxing is getting underway, with this year already looking far better than last. Keith Thurman versus Robert Guerrero is a very interesting matchup next weekend, and Kovalev-Pascal, Lee-Quillin, Garcia-Peterson and Matthysse vs Provodnikov all due by the middle of April.

But I'd like to draw attention to Carl Frampton's performance last night - he continues to impress and totally overmatched Avalos. Developing into a terrifically fun fighter to watch, too, he's fast become one of my favourites.

It was also interesting within the UK for the fact that for the first time in years, ITV showed the boxing. It could be great for the sport in the country if they keep at it, and if they keep using Frampton as their spearhead he could be a major star- which would then have the extra bonus of drawing more general public attention to the lower divisions, which are still overlooked by the public despite being far more stacked with talent than the higher ones right now.

He did, moreso than expected, though he did put in just enough for (1) the fight to be un-boring and (2) Frampton to have to show something. It wasn't like Santa Cruz fighting his sparring partners or Danny Garcia vs Saika, although Frampton will have to step up the level of competition rapidly if he wants to continue to be taken seriously.

Quigg isn't really that guy, despite the constant media cheerleading of the matchup (he's both a bit shit and a little dull, Frampton should box rings around him), but it does make sense in terms of the narrative to fight him next.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not that uncommon for mandatories to be a bit rubbish, tbh, although it is surprising in a division as stacked as welterweight.

Brook v Kahn needs to happen now. Though it would be pretty funny after all of Kahn's mouthing if Brook got one of May or Pac, which as a welterweight beltholder is a legit possibility if they don't rematch immediately.

Archived