Anybody here in to boxing?!

Skythe1

Can't say either of them seem like dudes you would want to spend any time with but that Groves is just so annoying. I hope Froch knocks him out. I'll say Froch in 8.

You nailed it! Also, the MMA thread is for boxing too.

You nailed it! Also, the MMA thread is for boxing too.

Well, technically.

I've tried to use it for that purpose once or twice and it never works. :P

I'm excited for Martinez v. Cotto. Also Marquez v. Alvarado was a good fight to watch.

I'm debating whether to stay/get up for that. Probably won't in the end and track it down later but I'll see. Should be good, anyway. I do wonder if Martinez is in good enough shape to eventually face Golovkin. I hope he's not eventually pushed into it even if he's not, though, because Golovkin is obviously a guy who can hurt people and there's no point Martinez winding down his career on a potentially bad note.

I'm also waiting to see what the Golden Boy split means for potential future matchups - so many fighters are with Haymon that it's not going to be as seismic a shift as some hope, but there are possibilities. The biggest one being Canelo, who definitely is a GB fighter and who's got several tasty options if he can now fight on HBO.

Canelo will sooner than later be a middleweight and unless Quillin is with Shaeffer and it creates complication, that belt is going to him once he's ready to move up. I wonder how the split will work out.

Speaking of Quillin, I heard they rejected a fight with David Lemieux. The guy's not the most talented fighter out there, but I believe he could walk through Quillin, which they probably know.

I'm excited to see Martinez vs Cotto, mainly because I wanna see if Martinez is ok or if he's fading. I like Martinez a lot, but if he's anything but a 100$% tonight he will never fight GGG. If Cotto wins, he NEEDS to fight Golovkin.

Damn. Seems Martinez is not okay in terms of carrying on his career. Dropped three times in the first round?

But yeah, Cotto v Golovkin has to happen now. And yeah, I suspect a Canelo - GGG fight is inevitable at some point unless GGG goes up a weight before Canelo comes up and establishes himself at middleweight. Exciting times... hopefully.

• 1 month later...

I just wanna use this thread to give big props to Bernard Hopkins. Where Adonis Stevenson moved from HBO to Showtime in order to avoid a fight with Sergey Kovalev and try to get one with B-Hop, Hopkins has gone 'hahaha nope' and moved the other way, signing with HBO to fight Kovalev in November, and giving this quote as he goes:

always ran to the fire, not away from the fire. That's who I am. That's my personality. I come from an era that's not the era of today. I just happen to be here.

Stevenson, and everyone ducking GGG at middleweight, and indeed all the habitual duckers plaguing boxing these days: you've been shown up by a 50-year-old. Get it together, dudes.

I was a big De La Hoya fan back in the day and the Hopkins fight was a bad blow but I didn't really think Oscar would beat him then.

Hopkins really brought it after the Kovalev win, I liked the silly shot he took at Kellerman for losing the interview also. It will be amazing if a 50 year old does what these youngsters in their primes are apparently afraid to do.

I didn't see the fight, but yeah, the whole project was a disgrace from the start, especially since Peterson was fighting on the same damn card so it's not as if there weren't good fights available. Sure, there might have been an argument to say that Garcia, after his problems last time, needed a tune-up, but there are much better ways to handle a tune-up. For starters, it should never have been promoted as a main event and I think the outcome shows even in terms of giving him an easy one, there should have been a better, or at least bigger, fighter in with him.

Porter vs Brook next week should be good, though, looking forward to that.

Archived