Could Robb Stark have declined KoTN title?

finnegan_stark

I think the first thing an independent North would do is rebuild their fleet - as Robb was doing. It was still a work in progress but with some more time for training it could be a strong deterring force. 50 war galleys(with more on the way) is nothing to laugh at. The Iron fleet is only 100 war galleys.

They don't have any experience naval commanders and would be crushed by any of the major naval powers in Westeros.

In my opinion the King of the North was Robb's first test on whether he could lead his men and he failed spectacularly. At that point he was in no position to come out with such outrageous claim which contributed in ruining the friendship his father built throughout the ages with the Baratheons. Robb surrendered to the demands of the same lords he needed unwavering obedience from.

I am pretty sure that Eddard was in the same position during Robert's rebellion. He was dragged out of the shadows to become leader of one of the most strongest families in Westeros and he had to gain the respect not only of his own banner men but also to the Tully's (Lord Tully promised his daughter to his elder brother and not to him), his new wife and probably the strongest and most thick headed warrior of his generation (Robert Baratheon). Yet he kept everyone in line and they bled for him.

Robb Stark should have bide his time and see how the war in the South would have evolved before striking back. He would have had time to organize his army, plan his moves correctly and make some serious allies. I won't be surprised if Renly would have closed an eye to the King of the North thing if Robb helped him in gaining the iron throne.

He couldn't refuse it because it was an unspoken deal.He was already seen as a green boy and to refuse that would made everyone thinking that Robb was gutless too.But he could probably assure his bannerman that they would be independent in the end and for that to happen they would join a much larger force first.That could have worked.

I don't think the implications would be as drastic as many posters have claimed. Robb had just won the Battle of the Whispering Wood and the Battle of the Camps -- he was at the height of his power. Refusing would have invited mumblings and disenchantment. But that's about it at that point. No one is going to mutiny or declare for the Lannisters right after Robb reaches Riverrun and has Jaime Lannister in chains.

I'm also not so sure that refusing a crown would have led to immediate mutiny, but it would have had serious implications. Mostly because deferring any decision on who to declare for would have meant not deciding what his war aims were - and that is a recipe for disaster because any strategy not made with defined objectives is going to be totally fucked up.

Robb went into the war with a clear objective of getting Ned back, and his strategy did not require him to annihilate the Lannisters but to be enough of a threat that they would return Ned in order to bring him back into the Kings Peace. A decision had to be made when it was because the old objectives no longer applied and Robb needed new objectives before he could continue the war.

Basically, Robb could have refused the crown if he had been able to say 'No, we are going to declare for X instead', but saying 'No, we are going to do nothing instead' would have been dumb. And there was no option of 'X' because they had already discussed the reasons Robb could/ would not kneel to anybody.

(Note, Robb was waiting for a letter from Stannis hoping he would have crowned himself. Robb only held the meeting after one failed to arrive and Renly had crowned himself. Robb believed Joff was lawful king but would have been willing to accept the first non-Lannister in line to the throne - but he could not declare for a non-combatant in the war).

Archived