When is 'Mercy'?

watson98

Slightly unrelated question, who by Westerosi law is now the technical heir to Casterly Rock, assuming Jaime, Tyrion and Lancel (?) are out? Devan or another cousin? Cersei's theoretical son from another marriage?

Cersei is the current Lady of the Rock. After her, Tommen, who may or may not keep it. Then Myrcella. Afterwards, Lancel's younger siblings. Then Gerion's and Ty's trueborn children. Genna Frey is next, with her own children following her. Only then Daven and it becomes a bit muddy.

Cersei is the current Lady of the Rock. After her, Tommen, who may or may not keep it. Then Myrcella. Afterwards, Lancel's younger siblings. Then Gerion's and Ty's trueborn children. Genna Frey is next, with her own children following her. Only then Daven and it becomes a bit muddy.

In Theory Cersei is the current Lady of the Rock but Tywin did have two sons who are still alive and if Jaime was to leave the Kings Guard he would be the wrightful Lord of the Rock and not Cersei.

In Theory Cersei is the current Lady of the Rock but Tywin did have two sons who are still alive and if Jaime was to leave the Kings Guard he would be the wrightful Lord of the Rock and not Cersei.

Since he needed to break a ton of laws to do that, nobody would care about the law anyway.

Nor does Jaime in any way intend to leave the KG except in a coffin. He's fighting tooth and nail to prevent that.

She was to be the "Lady of the Rock" while Tywin was alive, aka she was to be the caretaker. Being a woman she cant inherit the rock. If we go in line of succession Tywin is dead, Jamie swore a vow cant inherit,Tyrion is a convict, Kevan is dead, Lancel swore a vow, so Martyn Lannister is the current Lord of Casterly Rock.

She was to be the "Lady of the Rock" while Tywin was alive, aka she was to be the caretaker. Being a woman she cant inherit the rock. If we go in line of succession Tywin is dead, Jamie swore a vow cant inherit,Tyrion is a convict, Kevan is dead, Lancel swore a vow, so Martyn Lannister is the current Lord of Casterly Rock.

That is not how it works.

To quote Asha a daughter comes before a brother. Only the Targaryan sucession to the throne bypass females. All the other sucessions consider them (In the Andal sucesion as is this case the previous Lord daughter comes first before his brother)

Think of Alys Karstark, she is the next in line for Karhold if her brother die. That is the whole reason her cousin was looking to marry her, to steal her "claim". Thats why Sansa is believed to be such a good match, she comes with a whole region. There are also a great deal of ruling ladys in Westeros outside of Dorne by her own rigth, like Lady Waynwood in the Vale, Lady Oakheart in the Reach and Lady Mormont in the North.

Cersei is the undisputed Lady of the Rock, since Jaime is sitll a member of the Kingsguard, Tyrion has been disinherited for his crimes and Tywin didn't leave any will to choose another heir. In the appendix you can see her titles and in AFFC she appoints her castellan and Warden of the West while she is Queen Regent.

After Cersei, we have Tommen, it is up to him to take possesion of the title along with dominance of Storm's End and Dragonstone and give them to his second or third sons or pass them to his sister and other faithfull bannermen.

Some cousin or nephew can try to seize the castle but it would be pretty reckless to cross the crown.

I think depending on how the upcoming war efferts goes against the Tyrells I think we will could see an effert of Lannister men try to convince Jaime too claim his wrightful place as Lord of Rock and put Cersei in her place as a woman. Let us not forget the effert made to replace Cersei as Tommen's regent with her uncle during "A Feast For Crows & Dance With Dragons" so I don't think Cersei's claim too the rock is that secure.

Mercy does say this........“I’ll grow titties in a year or two.” Mercy rose, to tower over the little man. “But you’ll never grow another nose. You think of that, before you touch me there.”

I'd imagine that Arya/Mercy is still young to look at herself in this way.

:agree: she could easily be 13 at most 14 at this point which would be a few months at most a year from the end of DWD. The Gold Queen could either be Marg or Cersei. Marg being a golden rose and all. But my money is on Cersei. Varys wants her to cause a lot of chaos.

1 to 2 months after the epilogue I reckon, first Winds Arya chapter.

:agree: she could easily be 13 at most 14 at this point which would be a few months at most a year from the end of DWD. The Gold Queen could either be Marg or Cersei. Marg being a golden rose and all. But my money is on Cersei. Varys wants her to cause a lot of chaos.

I agree that it has to be soon after the epilogue. They need money in a hurry. I doubt it could be as much as 6 mo. , as I've seen some suggest.

Jon thinks Arya would be about 11 when he receives the notice of her upcoming marriage to Ramsay. Jon - born 283 AC. Arya - born 289 AC. So, if it's still 300 AC at the end of ADWD, Jon's 17 and Arya 11.

Still, with the seasons so out of sync, we don't know if the year has changed , but Jon can't be more than 18 and Arya can't be more than 12 at that time.

I'd guess at the time of Mercy she's 12 ... Maybe a young 13 at the very outside ..depending on how long it took Harys Swift to get to Braavos....( but I think that's stretch. )

Jon thinks Arya would be about 11 when he receives the notice of her upcoming marriage to Ramsay. Jon - born 283 AC. Arya - born 289 AC. So, if it's still 300 AC at the end of ADWD, Jon's 17 and Arya 11.

Arya was born rather early in 289. Furthermore, the timeline at the end of Dance is all over the place and Arya is the one the furthest along into 301.

I wonder if the Gold Queen may refer to Myrcella. Due to her injury may be wearing some kind of golden mask or facade. A golden vail even. Her coming to Kings Landing was mentioned in the Epilogue as well,

I dunno. Just a thought. I'm spit balling. Nothing concrete to support it.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if the Gold Queen may refer to Myrcella. Due to her injury may be wearing some kind of golden mask or facade. A golden vail even. Her coming to Kings Landing was mentioned in the Epilogue as well,

I dunno. Just a thought. I'm spit balling. Nothing concrete to support it.

Love it! But Cersei would still have to be alive somewhere. Maybe Myrcella's regent.

I am pretty sure that the queen they referred to was Cersei. But its a long way from KL to Braavos, and I doubt Harys Swyft had any ravens and a maester with him. Situation at KL may have changed, but when he left, Cersei was in power. The reason Cersei was in power was because Kevan was shot. We don't know which queen will greet them when they return to KL, though. Could be Margaery, Arianne, Sansa or Myrcella.

The chapter must be early on WoW. But probably after one or two Cersei PoVs

1. Situations at KL following Kevan's death (like we had after Tywin's death)

2. The trial

1 and 2 could be in one chapter, I don't know. If Arianne I, II and Jon Connington I are before this, we may also hear about Aegon taking Storm's End, and Cersei's reaction to that news. I'm sure she will send some assassins to kill Aegon. I hope she sends the one ones she saved for Jon.

My guess for the order of chapters is this:

Cersei I

Arianne I

Jon Con I (Storm's End battle)

Arianne II

Cersei II

Mercy

Clearly it's after ADwD epilogue, but not that much later IMO. What I wonder most is how is this timeline related to the last Jon chapter, which must be sooner or not much after the epilogue because there is no mention of white raven, and I think that it would be or if the raven sent to Wall didn't reach its destination there must have been other ravens sent North, but no one mentions them in Asha's or Theon's POV. Also no news of what is happening at Winterfell or at the Wall has reached Arya yet, though there seems to be some information exchange between North and Braavos.

Clearly it's after ADwD epilogue, but not that much later IMO. What I wonder most is how is this timeline related to the last Jon chapter, which must be sooner or not much after the epilogue because there is no mention of white raven, and I think that it would be or if the raven sent to Wall didn't reach its destination there must have been other ravens sent North, but no one mentions them in Asha's or Theon's POV. Also no news of what is happening at Winterfell or at the Wall has reached Arya yet, though there seems to be some information exchange between North and Braavos.

You can't argue with Dance's epilogue. The timelines for each PoV do not end even remotely at the same time. With Sansa and Arya being the one's furthest apart.

You can't argue with Dance's epilogue. The timelines for each PoV do not end even remotely at the same time. With Sansa and Arya being the one's furthest apart.

Yes, but in this case in epilogue Swift is preparing to go to Braavos. In Mercy he is there. I think that it's clear which chapter happened first.

Archived