Kudos to Rory McCann (possible book spoilers)

GloveroftheNorth

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/15/game-of-thrones-showrunners-on-season-4-finale-twists/

Why can't he ask, if he's dead, just say so, right? Just clues, could be wrong, I'm just throwing them out there...

He knows better than to ask because he would obviously get a non-answer. The answer to whether the Hound is dead or alive is a huge carrot to dangle in front of the audience.

I'd be fine never seeing him again on the show. As much as I like the actor, going out with that much ambiguity is great, it would be almost an insult to the character to show him alive and well later.

Alex Graves said this about the Hound when he was being interviewed about not including LS in the episode:

“As far as The Hound, as I told the story … he’s gone. How is he going to survive that? The real point of it was that she walks away, it wasn’t that it’s left open ended.”

He could very well be pulling the same trick as GRRM. The "Hound" is dead...but Sandor lives.

I love Rory's portrayal of the Hound.

He took a character from the book that was there, a bit despicable but not as bad as his brother but still a pretty non-good dude and he made the Hound larger than life for me, to the point where I couldn't wait to see what he did next, what kick ass line was going to come out of his mouth next.

He and Maisie made a great duo on the show and I though his final scene tonight really nailed it, the desperation in his eyes at the end when he's begging her for mercy was 100% right on the money.

He knows better than to ask because he would obviously get a non-answer. The answer to whether the Hound is dead or alive is a huge carrot to dangle in front of the audience.

That was my point, if they don't answer, then he might be alive. If he's dead, and they were done his story, they'd just say so.

I thought he has been excellent in his portrayal of The Hound all the way through the show, however in his final speech there was something quite moving in it.

I think it was down to the performance of McCann that we have a renowned murderer and killer, a tough guy on the brink of death looking back at his life and realising how miserable it's really been.

Particularly, what I found quite haunting was when he says he should have taken Sansa, as it would be the only good thing that would have happened to him.

Anyway I think that the show could potentially set this up nicely for his Redemption especially if he is the hooded man with the church.

Well, hope to see McCann back as the Hound soon, another excellent casting choice.

Agreed on all of this, particularly the bold part. Rory is an amazing actor and an awesome Sandor Clegane.

I liked the "maester hiding behind this rock" foreshadowing. The Elder Brother is in that area; if he doesn't get cut from the show that is.

Yeah, I know. Either that, or the Eyrie's maester is out to gather some herbs and medicine before winter falls. Actually, the fangirl part of me has this head canon where the knights of the bloody gate report to Baelish that the Hound and a girl claiming to be Arya Stark came to the bloody gate and somehow somebody sends someone over there to check, finding the Hound and bringing him to the Eyrie. So to everyone saying that the TV show is fanfiction. It's not. What I just wrote two sentences back - that's fanfiction. :lol:

@Woman of War

Of course Sandor didn't truly mean what he said about Sansa.

When he is "mocking" Mycah who begged and bled all over his horse, it's his way to say "I am sorry", and when he said "I should have f***ed her bloody", it's his way to say "I'll never see her again". And probably to enrage Arya enough to kill him, indeed.

And Arya is seeing right through him in that scene.

She sees that, as much as he tries to make everyone believes it, he is not a cold-hearted monster. Far from it. But his strengh and monstruous appearance is what shields him from the world.

Now, why is he not killing himself? Well, maybe he doesn't have his sword or dagger around, I don't know.

I like Brienne too, she is very likeable character. As much as I love my Hound, she couldn't die like that anyway.

Well said. I'm pretty sure Sandor lost his weapons during the fight and what with a broken leg and other injuries, he had no alternative sort of asking Arya to kill him. I also liked this "don't make me beg" line. He was so close to breaking at that point.

However much I hate the idea, I'm not so sure he's coming back. So far Arya tends to have encounters with characters we come to love (Syrio, Jaqen, Hound) and they just disappear after ambiguous endings.

We have Alex Graves even saying how LSH may not be part of the HBO version, as well as the cryptic "I think the Hound is done" quote. Of course, we can't trust anyone - writers, directors or even Lena H. - but we've seen enough changes to not be surprised if the Hound is left ambiguously absent.

What would be the point of him being alive if not for the sole point of redeeming his honor and finding his purpose, in a truly heroic fashion? Certainly not just to cameo as a distant figure digging graves for one scene, I'd hope

Again, I hope against hope that there are still big things awaiting Sandor Clegane. In fact, my hope rests on how often people call him "Ser", and he always responds with a vicious retort about "not being a knight". He did it with Brienne as well, so perhaps he will find and accept what it means to truly be a knight, and end up saving Sansa or Arya, or killing his zombie brother in a crucial moment.

They are all liars and trolls there, and everyone of them better than us. :leaving:

I don't get into all that parsing of words. I think it's a romance, because it's written like one. A romance starts with a seed that's planted, and grows, there's no hard and fast line that says, now it's a romance.

I think he's coming back, sounded like a Hound vs. Sandor thing in the director interview. Maisie and Rory hinted he'd be fine at Comic Con (also Rory mentioned there might be love). There's another one here:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/15/game-of-thrones-showrunners-on-season-4-finale-twists/

Why can't he ask, if he's dead, just say so, right? Just clues, could be wrong, I'm just throwing them out there...

Agreed. If I don't see him die on screen and his dead body being burned to crisps, I'm not trusting anybody in this show to stay dead.

Also, going off topic for a second, a nice bit from that interview about killing characters that are still alive in the books:

We did not want to kill [Dothraki horserider] Rakharo, but Elyes Gabel got some excellent offers for bigger roles and we knew we were losing him. So rather than have him disappear from the show we decided to put his head in a saddlebag.

I kind of expect Graves to say he portrayed the Hound as if he were done. I really think to even hint otherwise would be massively spoilery, and not something I think he'd want to allude to in an interview this far ahead of time, without even a new book sitting on the stands. That said, though, I could see it going either way - we may never see him again, or he may return in a blaze of glory. I know which I'd prefer =) And my poor little Hound-loving heart, while rather gleeful to see it went down like it did in the book (with reference to how he and Arya parted ways) and not having to watch him receive the Gift of Mercy like I'd wholly expected, just can't quite shake this bitter, sad ache. I hate saying goodbye, even if there's the teensiest, tiniest hope it's only temporary. And I hate not knowing.

And more than anything, I hate not being able to look forward to eyeballing more of the darling Rory.

WSJ: And how ironic that she takes his money.

Maise: It symbolizes that moment [in episode 3] when he took the father’s silver. In that moment, she’s saying what the Hound said then: “Dead men don’t need silver.” All the lessons he taught her she’s now using against him.

I love those cowboys, I love their gold,

I loved my uncle, God rest his soul,

Taught me good, Lord, Taught me all I know,

Taught me so well, I grabbed that gold,

And I left his dead ass there by the side of the road.

although i think this would be awesome but he can barely walk i just don't see him ever getting back to 100%.

The way the storylines have been set up... he does sort of need to come back. Since the show sort of clued in a lot of people, and the title gives up the possibility of book spoilers:

It's a pretty common theory that Robert Strong is Gregor Clegane. After last night's episode, this is even more of a sure thing. Very, very early on it was shown that there was only one man who could realistically beat the Mountain to a standstill - the Hound.

Now, look at how their storylines have gone:

The Hound leaves and the Mountain returns.

The Hound and the Mountain both act as 'guardians' - the Hound protecting Arya and the Mountain fighting for Cersei.

Both are wounded in their tasks.

Both are dying as a result of their tasks by someone who is in the service of a Lannister (Brienne-Jaime, Oberyn-Tyrion).

Both are reborn (Sandor as a Sparrow. Gregor as an undead knight.)

Now, in the book (show people might want to ignore this!), we know Cersei is calling upon Gregor/Robert to be her Champion when dealing with the High Septon. There's only one person that can beat him, it has to be the one following the same story arc. Besides that - we have the entire horrible history of the Clegane brothers to finally resolve. And the best way to resolve it? The same way it all started... and consequently, the easiest way to kill one of the undead in this world.

The way the storylines have been set up... he does sort of need to come back. Since the show sort of clued in a lot of people, and the title gives up the possibility of book spoilers:

It's a pretty common theory that Robert Strong is Gregor Clegane. After last night's episode, this is even more of a sure thing. Very, very early on it was shown that there was only one man who could realistically beat the Mountain to a standstill - the Hound.

Now, look at how their storylines have gone:

The Hound leaves and the Mountain returns.

The Hound and the Mountain both act as 'guardians' - the Hound protecting Arya and the Mountain fighting Cersei.

Both are wounded in their tasks.

Both are dying as a result of their tasks by someone who is in the service of a Lannister (Brienne-Jaime, Oberyn-Tyrion).

Both are reborn (Sandor as a Sparrow. Gregor as an undead knight.)

Now, in the book (show people might want to ignore this!), we know Cersei is calling upon Gregor/Robert to be her Champion when dealing with the High Septon. There's only one person that can beat him, it has to be the one following the same story arc. Besides that - we have the entire horrible history of the Clegane brothers to finally resolve. And the best way to resolve it? The same way it all started... and consequently, the easiest way to kill one of the undead in this world.

Absolutely! I sometimes think people forget that GRRM is telling a story.....and great stories have rhythms and beats....

I hope that Sandor is saved by eldar brother ! I presumed the hound was on quiet Isle since his horse was there . I don't see why they had brianne fighting the hound ? I just think Sandor will end up being a sworn sword of Sansa but who knows have to wait 10 months to find out.was disappointed with ending an read rogues today wasn't impressed with the short story about daemon targ

Oh God he ripped up my heart this episode, especially since it could be the end for him. I've always loved Sandor- book and show- sometimes in spite of myself because I don't think I should love such a dark character so unconditionally but I've always had a strange attraction to him and always had a soft spot for vulnerable/dark characters. Believe me, I don't think I should like him as much as I do or condone his negative words and actions. I feel like his scenes have been the ones from the finale that have stayed in my mind and that is amazing considering how excellent it was overall. And I'm sad because I have a feeling, like others have said, that even if he is alive in the show we won't see him again, he'll just be living a peaceful background life that only book readers will even really register. Which I suppose is happy enough, but I'm too mean to want this ending for him, I want to see him more.

I also think this episode especially hurt because of the good writing, and acting of Brienne and Arya. I loved the almost paternal instincts they had towards Arya, I love his dysfunctional help of the Stark children. And I love that they kept in Sansa references, though characteristically vulgar. What he thought were his last thoughts and words consisted of telling Arya to go with Brienne and were about Sansa.

Please don't die. Why are these god darn books/episodes so heart crushing.

Archived