Does Bran need a weirwood nearby to warg?

nymxria

I'm just curious because I don't have any recollection of any weirwoods in Mereen. A lot of you are convinced that he will warg thousands of miles into a dragon. Of course, Bran and a dragon fits perfectly with Bloodraven's promise to 'make him fly' but surely, just the way he needs a weirwood to see/communicate, he would need one to warg into a dragon.

Unless the Bran/dragon theory is revolved around Dany's arrival to Westeros, which I can see and have no problem with. What I would like to see here is Bran leading one of the dragons to the cave and, considering Bloodraven's ancestory, he jumps out of his throne of roots and his like 'Bye, sucker. I used you to get me a dragon. Peace out.'

First of all lots of nutters are convinced that Bran will warg into a dragon all the way in Mereen it is by no means certain or even the general consensus so I think you're right to be skeptical. Sure I suppose its technically possible but this one is still way above the tree line up on tinfoil mountain. As far as him needing a Weirwood to theoretically warg into a dragon, I don't see why he would. He hasn't needed one around to warg into anything else. Considering that he has already warged into a human without one which there is a case to made that it would be more difficult because of a human's, yes even Hodor's intelligence I don't see him needing one to warg into a dragon. If you mean to ask if we think he can warg into something via the "Wiernet" its possible but it can't be definitively proven but as I said its also never specifically ruled out by anything in the text.

Arya skin-changed into a cat in Braavos. And she can warg into Nymeria across the Narrow-Sea. So I don't think a weirwood in the vicinity is required for warging.

I forgot about that, so that definitely makes it more possible but I agree with you I still don't think a Weirwood is needed .

Arya skin-changed into a cat in Braavos. And she can warg into Nymeria across the Narrow-Sea. So I don't think a weirwood in the vicinity is required for warging.

I think the idea is that once you bond with an animal you can slip into it's skin from half the world away, like Arya with her wolf. We've yet to see a confirmed case of a character skinchanging into an animal that they haven't actually met and bonded with. So Arya can skinchange into the cat in Braavos, or Nymeria, but would not be able to skinchange into a random cat in Kings Landing. She probably wouldn't even be able to skinchange into the black tomcat (Balerion) from Braavos, because though she's met the animal I don't think she formed any kind of bond with it.

So the theory goes that Bran and Bloodraven may be able to use the "weirnet" to bypass this rule. This would give Bloodraven access to just about every raven in the seven kingdoms, instead of just ones that fly up north to his cave.

I don't believe that Bran or Bloodraven can just warg any animal in the world. That just seems ridiculous to me.

I've got no evidence for this but I assume Bran needs to either be in close proximity to an animal or have a connection to it (like Arya and Nymeria) to warg it.

I don't believe that Bran or Bloodraven can just warg any animal in the world. That just seems ridiculous to me.

I've got no evidence for this but I assume Bran needs to either be in close proximity to an animal or have a connection to it (like Arya and Nymeria) to warg it.

I agree that any animal in the world is ridiculous. Think of what Bloodraven could have accomplished with that ability. Still I wouldn't rule out him being able to warg an animal that comes into direct contact with a weirwood, like the ravens perching on them. Assuming the "weirnet" is a real thing and all the trees are connected.

I think Bloodraven can essentially warg every raven that passes through a general vicinity. (Read: The Wall) But his strongest pair(s) of eyes are the ravens already at the Wall and beyond it. Mormont's raven is definitely, without a doubt, one such pair of eyes.

till I wouldn't rule out him being able to warg an animal that comes into direct contact with a weirwood, like the ravens perching on them. Assuming the "weirnet" is a real thing and all the trees are connected.

Yeah agreed.

Im not sure how all of this even works, but it seems more logical to assume that Bran could warg something that is in his general direction. What if a dragon did come into contact with a weirwood?

Exactly what I was going to post. It's magic, so until Martin tells us the rules, anything goes. But we can have reasonable expectations. There has to be some kind of balance. If Bran can skinchange to anything in the whole world, he would be stupidly overpowered.

We don't even know if Arya can fully warg Nymeria from that far away. She seems to be warging in dreams, sure, but we don't know how much control she has over Nymeria. That could be explained by her connection, the fact that "wargs" seem to have a special place between skinchangers because the connection to wolves is easier/stronger etc. (technically warging refers only to wolves)

Anyway, the one thing we know is that you can warg away from Westeros. Arya wargs a cat.

The possibility of warging into something as monstrous as a dragon, even at the remaining two's immature age and size, is rather ridiculous and too, umm, easy? GRRM would never stoop to something so fairytale like.

I'm also sure that the whole dragon blood bonding thing will come into account. Cats, dogs and even humans are easily tamed/befriended, but a dragon? Nah. No dragon in history has bonded or succumbed to anyone other than a Targ/Blackfyre.

The possibility of warging into something as monstrous as a dragon, even at the remaining two's immature age and size, is rather ridiculous and too, umm, easy? GRRM would never stoop to something so fairytale like.

I'm also sure that the whole dragon blood bonding thing will come into account. Cats, dogs and even humans are easily tamed/befriended, but a dragon? Nah. No dragon in history has bonded or succumbed to anyone other than a Targ/Blackfyre.

What about Sheepstealer?

If that's a dragon from Dunk and Egg, I'm not familiar with the series yet. If it was somehow controlled by someone other than a Targ, then I'm sorry and spoke too soon. Also, it's not like I don't want something like this to happen, I would love it. Just not in the fashion of simply linking minds if you get me.

I'm just curious because I don't have any recollection of any weirwoods in Mereen. A lot of you are convinced that he will warg thousands of miles into a dragon. Of course, Bran and a dragon fits perfectly with Bloodraven's promise to 'make him fly' but surely, just the way he needs a weirwood to see/communicate, he would need one to warg into a dragon.

Unless the Bran/dragon theory is revolved around Dany's arrival to Westeros, which I can see and have no problem with. What I would like to see here is Bran leading one of the dragons to the cave and, considering Bloodraven's ancestory, he jumps out of his throne of roots and his like 'Bye, sucker. I used you to get me a dragon. Peace out.'

The assumption is that only 3 dragons exist. The reality considering Martin likes to go big is that there could be more undiscovered flying lizards. Or perhaps there is something else meant by this that Martin is trying to disguise? Another flying beast from the far north which is unheard of? More dragons?

If that's a dragon from Dunk and Egg, I'm not familiar with the series yet. If it was somehow controlled by someone other than a Targ, then I'm sorry and spoke too soon. Also, it's not like I don't want something like this to happen, I would love it. Just not in the fashion of simply linking minds if you get me.

It's from The Princess and The Queen and I don't think the previous mention is completely accurate.

There are other riders, and I guess it is an argument that riders don't need to be Targs. But they

could be Targ bastards.

The trees are not in isolation, they are part of something larger and allow the greenseers to "tap into" that larger force. The gods of the children of the forest were not just the weirwoods. The rivers, flowers, insects, animals, rocks, earth and wind (and more) are all part of this force. In short, the trees are just an access point. That said, Bran will not skinchange a Dragon. He will learn to fly by freeing his consciousness from his broken body.

It's from The Princess and The Queen and I don't think the previous mention is completely accurate.

There are other riders, and I guess it is an argument that riders don't need to be Targs. But they

could be Targ bastards.

The wiki says that Nettles is a bastard not that she is specifically a Targaryen bastard. People speculating that she was Targaryen to the best of my knowledge's is just that people speculating. I haven't read the book though just the wiki entry.

The wiki says that Nettles is a bastard not that she is specifically a Targaryen bastard. People speculating that she was Targaryen to the best of my knowledge's is just that people speculating. I haven't read the book though just the wiki entry.

The story does lump her together with the other Targaryen bastards (called "dragonseeds.") It never explicitly says she was a Targaryen bastard or the daughter of one. The released version of the story was heavily edited down for space, so that probably contributed to the ambiguity about where exactly Nettles came from.

The trees are not in isolation, they are part of something larger and allow the greenseers to "tap into" that larger force. The gods of the children of the forest were not just the weirwoods. The rivers, flowers, insects, animals, rocks, earth and wind (and more) are all part of this force. In short, the trees are just an access point. That said, Bran will not skinchange a Dragon. He will learn to fly by freeing his consciousness from his broken body.

I think the Isle of Faces is relevant to that idea.

The story does lump her together with the other Targaryen bastards (called "dragonseeds.") It never explicitly says she was a Targaryen bastard or the daughter of one. The released version of the story was heavily edited down for space, so that probably contributed to the ambiguity about where exactly Nettles came from.

Once again I didn't read it just the wiki so there may be hints in the text that I'm unaware of but the wiki entry for dragon seeds says that is unclear if the all those who were successful actually had Targaryen blood. But like I said haven't read it so you guys may know something I don't but if thats the case its not mentioned in the wiki either. As I understood it she was a slave or servant of some type I could be mistaken about that but if that is accurate I think its unlikely that she had Targaryen blood. Its possible I suppose but if she were a slave/servant she would be the first Targaryen to reach such humble circumstances that we know of.

Yeah, the likelihood of Bran warging one of Dany's dragons still seems small to me. But other, hidden dragons (like the oh so fabled ice dragon within the Wall) is something I could buy into.

I guess the real question is what would Bran really do with a dragon?

Archived