NBA Offseason - LeBronapalooza

Trebla

Wow, Stephenson signs with Charlotte on a 3 year deal for 9 million a year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11221796/lance-stephenson-charlotte-hornets-3-year-27-million-deal

So Indiana offered nearly the same per year, on a 5 year deal for 44 million, and that was not good enough?

Anyway, Indiana in trouble.

FUUUUUUCK!!!!

Yeah, Lance Stephenson might be crazy but he filled an irreplaceable role in Indy's offense. His versatility and athleticism was critical on a team that didn't have a ton of either. His 7 RPG as a SG saved a team with a 7'2" guy who can't rebound. Wizards just destroyed them on the glass that entire series. Indiana wasn't wrong to hold firm and avoid overpaying him but their problem is they have no reasonable starting SG to replace him. Rasual Butler or CJ Miles? They gotta do something because this team more than any depends on their starting 5 to carry them.

Paul George will probably kick up to SG. If they really like what they saw from Chris Copeland, he can step in at SF. That said... I have to wonder if Bird let his beef with Lance get in the way here. The guy should have been locked down weeks ago.

Chandler Parsons upset with The Rockets for looking for someone better than Chandler Parsons...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/new-maverick-chandler-parsons-takes-offense-to-how-rockets-treated-him-during-free-agency-030411610.html

he's a moron for those comments in my opinion. If you want to stay in Houston, don't sign the freakin' offer sheet from Dallas. Houston would have been crazy to re-sign him at that number.

Chandler Parsons upset with The Rockets for looking for someone better than Chandler Parsons...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/new-maverick-chandler-parsons-takes-offense-to-how-rockets-treated-him-during-free-agency-030411610.html

He should be thanking the Rockets for letting him out of his rookie contract one year early. He'll be making $14m this next season instead of $1m because of their wink-wink deal. Just enjoy the $13m you've been gifted and thank the organization for your time there.

We aren't talking about non-max contract guys, though. At least I'm not. I'm talking about the elite level superstars that you need a couple of to compete for championships. You just can't realistically count on finding those types of guys outside of the top 5 of the draft.

Legitimately competing for a championship is probably beyond the reach of a lot of teams though; who should instead focus on just being good enough to regularly make playoffs runs in the hopes that some other team makes a desperate deal with them that opens up a short window on more than that.

I agree that being between the 5th and 12th best team in your conference is a wasteland for teams that have the potential to be elite, but for the small markets teams its not bad to be the Atlanta Hawks.

In other news, Zach Lowe has an article up that the NBA submitted an official proposal revamping the lottery system to the competition committee.

The league’s proposal gives at least the four worst teams the same chance at winning the no. 1 pick: approximately an identical 11 percent shot for each club. The odds decline slowly from there, with the team in the next spot holding a 10 percent chance. The lottery team with the best record will have a 2 percent chance of leaping to the no. 1 pick, up from the the minuscule 0.5 percent chance it has under the current system.

The proposal also calls for the drawing of the first six picks via the Ping-Pong ball lottery, sources say. The current lottery system actually involves the drawing of only the top three selections. The rest of the lottery goes in order of record, from worst to best, after the top-three drawing is over.

There's also still talk about "The Wheel" proposal, but its on the backburner for now.

He should be thanking the Rockets for letting him out of his rookie contract one year early. He'll be making $14m this next season instead of $1m because of their wink-wink deal. Just enjoy the $13m you've been gifted and thank the organization for your time there.

Yeah, it's hard to feel bad for him when he cashed out so mightily. Thank your lucky stars and shut up, seriously.

I've got a crazy idea to make the NBA a lot more interesting, and it will also fix the massive imbalance between the West and the East:

First, add two more teams to the league (revive the Sonics and add another team. I think one for Louisville and/or Kentucky makes sense).

Second, scrap the current conferences.

Third, establish a World Cup style bracket. Teams would never have a fixed position, and a lottery system would place each team randomly into one of eight 4 team sub conferences.

Fourth, may the best team stand!

Legitimately competing for a championship is probably beyond the reach of a lot of teams though; who should instead focus on just being good enough to regularly make playoffs runs in the hopes that some other team makes a desperate deal with them that opens up a short window on more than that.

I agree that being between the 5th and 12th best team in your conference is a wasteland for teams that have the potential to be elite, but for the small markets teams its not bad to be the Atlanta Hawks.

Small market teams can win, though. OKC and San Antonio are the two best teams in the league, and two of the smallest markets. Golden State and Portland are very good. Small market teams can't win via free agency. They have to win via the draft, but they can do it. They just have to hit on their lottery picks.

First, add two more teams to the league (revive the Sonics and add another team. I think one for Louisville and/or Kentucky makes sense).

There already isn't close to enough talent to support 30 teams. Adding 2 more just makes it worse.

Things might change now that they're in San Fran, but free agents weren't lining up to go to Oakland.

I don't think they managed to finalize that S.F. deal. That being said, there really isn't much of a distinction to made between Oakland and S.F. from a player's perspective. You could easily live in The City and play in Oakland if you so choose.

The NBA lottery is the dumbest thing in all of professional sports.

That's categorically untrue. Skip Bayless is the dumbest thing in all of professional sports, and nothing's even come close since Brett Favre retired for good.

Bay area is no small market!

The NBA is weird though, the size of the city is only one factor in determining the prestige of the franchise. I look at it thusly:

A League of Their Own (1) - Lakers. No NFL team in LA, and all the glamour of Hollywood. There's no team like the Lakers.

Big Market Franchises (8) - Knicks, Nets, Celtics, Bulls, Rockets, Clippers, Mavericks, Heat. These are teams that through a combination of a history of winning and franchise exposure can attract free agents.

Middle Class Franchises (9) - Washington, Atlanta, Detroit, Philadelphia, Orlando, Golden State, Portland, Phoenix, Denver. These are franchises that typically have to overpay in order to attract or maintain talent, but who can get good players to talk with them in the years that they have a strong team.

"Small" Market Franchises (11) - Thunder, Raptors, Pacers, Hornets, Cavaliers, Bucks, Grizzlies, Pelicans, TWolves, Kings, Jazz. These are the teams that even when they are good, they cannot really attract good talent, and have difficulty resigning guys even to lopsided contracts. These are typically either smaller cities or worse yet, in Canada.

Defy Categorization (1) - San Antonio. Maybe when Tim Duncan leaves they'll return to Middle Class status.

Obviously teams can move up and down depending on talent and franchise prestige, as evidenced by the Clippers moving into "Big Market" territory.

I'd move Atlanta from Middle to Small. The size of the city suggests otherwise, but they haven't been able to get any of the free agents this year to even listen to their pitches. Too many playoff series on NBA TV, and a reputation for lackluster fans, has done something to them.

The NBA is weird though, the size of the city is only one factor in determining the prestige of the franchise. I look at it thusly:

A League of Their Own (1) - Lakers. No NFL team in LA, and all the glamour of Hollywood. There's no team like the Lakers.

Big Market Franchises (8) - Knicks, Nets, Celtics, Bulls, Rockets, Clippers, Mavericks, Heat. These are teams that through a combination of a history of winning and franchise exposure can attract free agents.

Middle Class Franchises (9) - Washington, Atlanta, Detroit, Philadelphia, Orlando, Golden State, Portland, Phoenix, Denver. These are franchises that typically have to overpay in order to attract or maintain talent, but who can get good players to talk with them in the years that they have a strong team.

"Small" Market Franchises (11) - Thunder, Raptors, Pacers, Hornets, Cavaliers, Bucks, Grizzlies, Pelicans, TWolves, Kings, Jazz. These are the teams that even when they are good, they cannot really attract good talent, and have difficulty resigning guys even to lopsided contracts. These are typically either smaller cities or worse yet, in Canada.

Defy Categorization (1) - San Antonio. Maybe when Tim Duncan leaves they'll return to Middle Class status.

Obviously teams can move up and down depending on talent and franchise prestige, as evidenced by the Clippers moving into "Big Market" territory.

San Antonio is definitely small market. THey built 100% through the draft, and have been able to retain Duncan, Parker, etc. because they win. This isn't baseball. Small Market teams can actually win, they just simply have to bulid their roster through the draft and niche free agents.

That's a pretty solid breakdown, methinks. To simplify it, I have to imagine the biggest factors have to be "who am I playing with", "who am I playing for" and "what are our prospects for getting a ring? Minus that, I suppose it's "how much are you willing to pay me?"

That's categorically untrue. Skip Bayless is the dumbest thing in all of professional sports, and nothing's even come close since Brett Favre retired for good.

Lol. He was right about Tebow. I personally love his lunacy!

Archived