Why doesn't Stannis have a Kingsguard?

As for Robb, why would he? The Kingsguard is a tradition tied to Andal faith and customs and to the Iron Throne. Same reason Robb doesn't have a distinct Hand either.

During war time there's an argument to say he doesn't have a distinct Hand-style military adviser in large part because Catelyn reminds him of the danger of seeming to favour one man or one or two Houses in particular. She says that like Ned, Robb showed a good knack for engaging with all the Houses, having them take turns sitting in places of honour at the high table or riding alongside him to provide counsel on the road.

Had he actually become King, it's interesting to speculate as to whether Winterfell would have A) developed into more of an 'out and out capital' and B) How he would have politically controlled the riverlands - e.g. would he have appointed a Warden of the Trident such as Edmure, or maybe had a Hand who split his time between Winterfell and traversing the Riverlands. All pointless speculation of course, because Robb's attention was fully focused on the war effort.

The Hound ain't a knight, though.

Very true, I don't think Duncan the Tall was officially a Knight either from what people have said. But you can't deny, both are great warriors & very loyal which is very useful in any Kingsguard.

I do hate Barristan's judgement of him essentially getting kicked out of the Kingsguard for "Joffrey's Dog", but I think that's for another discussion.

The Hound ain't a knight, though.

And that fact is remarked on whenever anyone gets the chance, because appointing him was seen as a serious breach of tradition. Many people probably even see it as the main reason for the Kingsguards loss of prestige under Joffrey, even though Sandor was arguably one of the most competent at the job.

However, the KG as an institution may be tied to The Seven, and thus shunned in his new order. I doubt that Stannis has no actual protection - Stannis has Melisandre, and Ser Horpe, at least - but no named "Kingsguard".

Still, this may prove unwise when a certain Maid of Tarth comes calling.

Because Stannis is fighting a war, not playing at one.

Actually if Stannis wishes to claim the Iron Throne it would make sense he pay homage to Iron Throne instituitions, such as having a KG

Actually if Stannis wishes to claim the Iron Throne it would make sense he pay homage to Iron Throne instituitions, such as having a KG

Like Renly, with his rainbow guard and tournaments? Renly's out now, before he could even scratch anyone in the WotfK. I loved that reply Catelyn Stark gave at Renly's camp when she was disrespectfully asked why Robb hadn't appeared himself. The Mannis is focused on more important, real King matters. That is why he's getting things done.

For the same reason that Robb and Balon Greyjoy don't have one. The members of the KG are knights, which means a vow said under the faith of the Seven. Stannis follows R'hollor.

I would rather say the concept of having SEVEN Kingsguard is come from the faith of the Seven, there are Knights in the North, but House Robb worships the Old Gods, and Greyjoys worship the Drunk God, Stannis worships Red God (on appearance at least), of cause all of these three would still have their bodyguards, they just do not have the need to orgarnize it into the KG

Well, who would be in his kingsguard? His vassals from Dragonstone? His vassals from Storm's End?

I imagine that his plan was to wait until he took King's Landing and use the kingsguard to win him supporters or reward those who had been faithful to him. I can't imagine him pardoning any of the current kingsguard.

Well, who would be in his kingsguard? His vassals from Dragonstone? His vassals from Storm's End?

I imagine that his plan was to wait until he took King's Landing and use the kingsguard to win him supporters or reward those who had been faithful to him. I can't imagine him pardoning any of the current kingsguard.

It could be this. He has very few loyal men to choose from at the moment. Maybe if he finally wins the IT he will appoint a permanent guard when he has more men to choose from. And I agree, he wouldn't accept any of the Lannister KG as his guards, so I don't think he thinks of them as his rightful KG.

Or maybe not. The KG was a Targaryen/Faith of the Seven idea, maybe he would rather just have rotating guards from his loyal household guard.

Archived