Why is Visenya not a very common name?

Ser Eric

Is it not a bit surprising that we know of only one women (Rhaenrya's daughter doesn't count) named Visenya in the Targaryen family tree? Now, I realise that all the Targaryen kings barring Maegor are descendents of Rhaenys but Visenya was one of the 3 heads of the dragon so it's almost a bit shocking that we know of no one else named Visenya.

First of all, Visenya, Rhaenyra's daughter, definitely counts. Second, you already said it yourself, the line continues from Aegon and Rhaenys, not from Visenya. Third, the name Viserys seems to be the male form of Visenya (or at least derived from Visenya). There were multiple Targaryens names Viserys.

And fourth, and perhaps most importantly, we don't know the entire tree yet, and especially about the Targaryen women we have very little info. There might have been a few who were named Visenya, or something derived from Visenya), we just have yet to see it. The world book will be an excellent chance for that.

It might also have something to do with what happened when Maegor took the throne. Is Visenya actively helped Maegor usurp the throne from Aenys' children, I can see why their descendants wouldn't name many children after Visenya.

We don't yet know exactly how Aerys I died, but if Visenya/Maegor had anything to do with that, it could be an explanation why no one of Aenys' descendants children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren ever named their child Visenya (or Maegor, for that matter). Although we should keep in mind that a male version (Viserys) seems to have been quite common.

We don't yet know exactly how Aerys I died, but if Visenya/Maegor had anything to do with that, it could be an explanation why no one of Aenys' descendants children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren ever named their child Visenya (or Maegor, for that matter). Although we should keep in mind that a male version (Viserys) seems to have been quite common.

Three Viserys' in 300 years counts as common? Or were there more who I missed?

Maybe people just didn't like Visenya.

First of all, Visenya, Rhaenyra's daughter, definitely counts. Second, you already said it yourself, the line continues from Aegon and Rhaenys, not from Visenya. Third, the name Viserys seems to be the male form of Visenya (or at least derived from Visenya). There were multiple Targaryens names Viserys.

And fourth, and perhaps most importantly, we don't know the entire tree yet, and especially about the Targaryen women we have very little info. There might have been a few who were named Visenya, or something derived from Visenya), we just have yet to see it. The world book will be an excellent chance for that.

It might also have something to do with what happened when Maegor took the throne. Is Visenya actively helped Maegor usurp the throne from Aenys' children, I can see why their descendants wouldn't name many children after Visenya.

:agree: Makes perfect sense.

Archived