Why are the Unsullied so specialized? Where do their puppies come from?

Game Of Thrones

The unsullied are nameless, identityless fighters. When you start creating divisions between them, you give them identities and reasons to say 'why should I die as an unsullied knight compared to those trash infantry men' rather than 'this one serves.'

If the GMs can kill pain they can probably kill identities like the FM.

Actually i think that the astapori masters are quite genious. They give a very special product for very special needs, just like Volkswagen did with the beetle, they sold those things as useless retarded cars meant for families and people who wanted to modify them to excess.

An Unsullied batallion just out of the factory is the embodiement of perfection in old ages, obedient and disciplined. They are trained with several weapons for long years making them very proficient with them and they lack fear. Cavalry, either light or heavy are no match for an unbreakable phalanx of fearless men with spikes or spears as the scotts proved several times. Their main weakness was their static position that made them susceptible to be slaughtered by the longbowmen just like unsullied would be massacred if they fought the raven's teeth.

But now, a great commander, like any modder knows that you don't want fancy stuff like a Mercedes S Class when you can take a beetle and make a luxury limo with pool, the same reason you don't buy a high performance computer from a retail vendor, you buy some pieces, build it and then upgrade it yourself.... Put some chainmail on those unsullied, provide them rather normal sized shields and upgrade their spear, polearm, harberd and lance software and then you make them form a massive square a hundred men wide and twelve men deep and then put your trained mercenary crossbowman with helpers in the middle and just sit on the rear watching those knights being slaughtered in futile attempts to break the phalanx.

You save your light and heavy cavalry made out of knights and more mercenaries for a well timed attack from the rear, or make a counter move against light infantry like archers or chase off your retreating foe and you even keep some elephants for the lulz of trampling your enemies to death...The austrian and french also thought that the Swiss and the Flemish were nuts to fight heavy cavalry with infantry and they paid the price.

Also, In the special case of Daenerys she has an enormous advantage in the way of several commanders used to the westerosi kind of fight and their weaknesses and a black dragon... If she takes my advice she'll win every battle by using the flemish square phalanx that can be both defensive and aggresive, letting the cavalry being slaughtered, having the enemy retreating or commiting and then set them on fire to finally unleash your cavalry (knights and dothraki alike) to deal with the burning and scared men, surround the enemy forces like in operation Uranus and then finish them with a volley of arrows and fire.... With all the westerosi decent commanders either dead, turned or in the north everyone else is ill-prepared for that kind of warfare by thinking their knights are all-mighty and stuff.

To defend a city with walls all you need is infantry and archers, no cavalry, so they don't need the cavalry unless they want to fight in the open or attack. Archers don't have to be that brave so they can just use mercenaries, that's easy to find. They may even have some commoners or slaves who use crossbows which are easy to use, although that's just speculation.

What's hard to find is phalanx soldiers whose whole life is war and they have no personality, but somehow they are still brave cause they have nothing to lose and are eunuchs. Granted, that's not realistic, but let's say we buy that GRRM bs.

The puppies can just come from farms. If they have as many people, why not have dog farms? you can breed much more animals than. It would be grossly counter-productive to breed dogs just to have them killed while they are still puppies by the unsullied, but it is possible.

The point is, GRRM wanted to make the Unsullied sound cool and disturbing at the same time, so he made this up about Unsullied and their training. It doesn't have to make sense completely, just to be technically possible so that he could put it in the story. I still don't buy it at all but let's just let it slide. Let's call it poetic licence, whatever.

The Unsullied are not the most sensible of GRRM's creation but I take them on equal footing with dragons; it's fantasy. I also do my best not to think about the economy involved. Still...

I mean, only one out four make it through training? And they each kill one baby? So to 'produce' a batch of 8 000 Unsullied you need 40 000 persons? And you sell them, so you are continuously going through that process? And they are the core of your defense force? Both product and armed force. And you are willing to sell them all at once, leaving yourself undefended?

IRL, slave armies were a real thing, such as in the Ottoman empire, but they were well treated and most definitely not castrated. If anything, you want to stud your best specimen, not castrate them! Never mind the idiocy of rendering your melee fighters weaker and less agressive by depriving them of testosterone.

Are you telling me it's impossible to train a disciplined troops fightout castrating them? So the the secret of turning the Navy SEALs into real badasses would be to cut off their balls?

Oh well. Fantasy. Wargs, White Walker, Dragons and Unsullied. In order of increasing fantastical elements.

So why not Unsullied knights? Unsullied light cavalry? Unsullied pikemen? Unsullied archers? Unsullied swordsmen? Unsullied mounted archers? Unsullied horses?

:eek: :))
Seriously speaking, probably it's a cultural thing. They train them to fight in the old Ghis way, as light infantry, because this is all their masters know.

I can get past the fact that they are painless etc. Even the puppies, absurd as that is. But it simply makes no sense that you're in the business of selling soldiers for so long and no one ever thought of making them better or diversified. If you can create perfect soldiers, why would you make them weaker on purpose? Oh, wait, that's right. Slavers must respect the plot, and the plot demands that the Unsullied must be just strong enough to help Dany and then die.

Archived