What age should you be to begin reading ASoIaF?

Visenya's Sword

Honestly, Game of Thrones will be there when you are ready for it. Horror is a better genre for youngsters to get into, because it's not supposed to make any sense. This drama is a mature subject matter, and better suited to people in their late 20's, early 30's.

It's up to you, but being someone with a degree in drama, I can seriously say that there's little to nothing to be gained by someone reading ASOIAF before age 25. Instead, read other stuff... and build a base to work off of. Then dive into this monster when you have a clear understanding of the field of literature.

I listened to the Cure obsessively when I was young and it meant next to nothing to me until I was about 33... reason being, I didn't have enough life experience to grasp the significance of the lyrics. It was just something that sounded cool. Luckily for me, when the time came, the Cure was still there and now I understand the lyrics and it's my favorite band.

Don't make the mistake of thinking "earlier is better" for everything. ASOIAF isn't even finished yet, why on earth would you rush anyone into reading it? If you have to even ask the question, "should this person read this" then just stop.

Honestly, Game of Thrones will be there when you are ready for it. Horror is a better genre for youngsters to get into, because it's not supposed to make any sense. This drama is a mature subject matter, and better suited to people in their late 20's, early 30's.

It's up to you, but being someone with a degree in drama, I can seriously say that there's little to nothing to be gained by someone reading ASOIAF before age 25. Instead, read other stuff... and build a base to work off of. Then dive into this monster when you have a clear understanding of the field of literature.

I listened to the Cure obsessively when I was young and it meant next to nothing to me until I was about 33... reason being, I didn't have enough life experience to grasp the significance of the lyrics. It was just something that sounded cool. Luckily for me, when the time came, the Cure was still there and now I understand the lyrics and it's my favorite band.

Don't make the mistake of thinking "earlier is better" for everything. ASOIAF isn't even finished yet, why on earth would you rush anyone into reading it? If you have to even ask the question, "should this person read this" then just stop.

Or, you read it for enjoyment. I'm 23, and have no problem enjoying the drama and picking up on symbolism, nor some of the major themes of the book.

To the OP. If you're her guardian, you'll know better than us. A some 13 year olds can handle the subject matter just fine, and some can't. I think the best test would be asking yourself if you are fie with her watching the show. If so, I'd say the books aren't any worse.

If you wait til your kids are 15 to introduce them to "adult" themes, you won't be the one introducing them. I'll put a double super-duper guarantee on that one. 15 is laughably old to be learning about even kinky stuff, much less straight sex. Your kids know, trust me.

At age 13 she probably already knows. Trust me. Source; I'm 18, I remember these things.

Age 25 is nonesense. I'm 18 and I get a lot out of the books. You are giving young people too little credit

Age 25 is nonesense. I'm 18 and I get a lot out of the books. You are giving young people too little credit

Unless it's a college course, or someone you know is already investing in it, then I'd say it's not worth it. There's less worthy tasks, but not many. Read shakespeare, or study film. Study anything... but not ASOIAF. I'll tell you, if I could go back and tell myself to read ASOIAF earlier, I would say, don't do it. Even now I'm not sure I made the right decision and I'm 35. It's not even complete yet, still 2 more books.

I didn't find the books series until I was 22, a yearish ago, and I'm sad I didn't find it earlier.

The real question is, since my toddler can read three- and four-letter-words, how long do I have to wait to get her started? Preschool?

I've actually had a kid come up to me while I was reading a book, (GOT), and he knew the book and had seen the show already. Knew all the characters, plots everything.

I was not impressed with him or his parents. I can honestly say it was creepy.

Unless it's a college course, or someone you know is already investing in it, then I'd say it's not worth it. There's less worthy tasks, but not many. Read shakespeare, or study film. Study anything... but not ASOIAF. I'll tell you, if I could go back and tell myself to read ASOIAF earlier, I would say, don't do it. Even now I'm not sure I made the right decision and I'm 35. It's not even complete yet, still 2 more books.

I'm sorry, but no. There is no reason at all to wait until my thirties to read aSoIaF, or any other book for that matter. I get plenty of enjoyment reading it now (and I started when I was 15).

ETA: And I'm not "studying" the books. I'm reading them for enjoyment, like most people do

I've actually had a kid come up to me while I was reading a book, (GOT), and he knew the book and had seen the show already. Knew all the characters, plots everything.

I was not impressed with him or his parents. I can honestly say it was creepy.

That's not cool.

I honestly am excited for the day I can introduce my daughter to the series, but I'm not so eager to watch her innocence get obliterated that I'd push it on her earlier than she's ready to handle it.

I also agree that 25 is a silly number...you think people any younger than that lack cognitive and emotional reasoning? I would have loved these books in my early teens, and just gotten more and more out of them with every reread as I grew up, as I do now.

Personally, I think thirteen is too young. At that age kids still think in terms of black and white, which would mean they miss a lot of the intricacies.

15-17 would be better, and I'd err on the older side.

No, they do not, not in general. Some do, some do not. Sure, many may not get everything that is going on and reading it again when they are older will open up some new perspectives and details, but when she is a mature reader for her age there should not be a problem.

If you wait til your kids are 15 to introduce them to "adult" themes, you won't be the one introducing them. I'll put a double super-duper guarantee on that one. 15 is laughably old to be learning about even kinky stuff, much less straight sex. Your kids know, trust me.

Some of the violence may be a little over the top for kids, but hell, you see that on network TV, so there's not much point in trying to limit them. That'll just make it seem more and more fascinating. Don't fool yourselves.

Thank you for being the voice of reason here.

Archived