What age should you be to begin reading ASoIaF?

Visenya's Sword

Yes, 13 is a fine age assuming she is mature and you believe she can read this stuff. No need to mollycoddle her, turn on the news and you'll hear about atrocious things most days, so why stop her reading aSoIaF? I suppose if you were particularly worried you could have a talk with her before.she read the series

I think the age is fine. But first, warn her about what she is going to find. Tell her that while the books are fantasy, isn't average fantasy: there are elements that might be considered quite disturbing like violence and gore, also, the language.

Yeah. Warn her in advance of what's in the books, and if she's fine with reading that, then see if she likes the books.

If it helps... My little sister once suckerpunched me in the eye (she should be about 14) for making fun of Twilight. I actually got a black eye lol (actually she threw her purse at me and her cellphone hit me). Had to visit family during xmas and explain to everyone I met that I got beat up by my little sister.

Now she reads better stuff. She doesn't really care for ASoIaF, but she reads other good stuff now.

lol ... and ouch! I bought mine The Complete Novels of Jane Austen for her birthday instead of the requested glitter-stuff.. there's some well written sparkle for you, young lady .. she just looked confused, while her mother grinned in approval :lol:

lol ... and ouch! I bought mine The Complete Novels of Jane Austen for her birthday instead of the requested glitter-stuff.. there's some well written sparkle for you, young lady .. she just looked confused, while her mother grinned in approval :lol:

I hope somebody else didn't get her a sword. . . .

I read Clan of the Cave Bear at that age, or slightly younger (which contains abuse, death curses and rape of the protagonist), and in the sequels the sex is graphic (for books in the 80s it was certainly not conservative). The most important thing is that she can discuss anything in the books with you. I remember how my mother used to read books first and then passed them on to me (including the Auel series). And I thought that was cool, considering what she passed on to me.

In 14. I'm both mature and immature but I aren't exactly an idiot. These books make you more knowledgable then you would be if you never read them,even better,in a rich universe where ASoIaF takes place in the books give so much detail about it and it's gives you insight on betrayals,lies and death at its worst.

Can there be anything more sparkly than Darcy and Lizzy? :cool4:

ETA: and when it comes to vampires... Ann Rices's series is much more fun than Twilight. Lestat wins hands down.

No.

Exactly. Have her read some Hamlet, or Romeo and Juliet, some classic tragedy. If she's still interested later, give her Dunk and Egg... Then maybe let her read the books if you think she "gets it."

Otherwise, I'd say 16-18 is the earliest age you should be recommending these books to people. Honestly, what's the rush? You're only young once.

I think it all depends on the mental and emotional maturity of the individual and how avid a reader they are. Some start to read adult books from a young age, and have no issue with the adult content, others are not. I started to read what my parents rented from the library for themselves when I was about 11. Some had gore in them, some gore and sex, some needed re-reading years later to fully comprehend the political, economical or historical layered critique in them. As long as they feel they can talk, discuss or ask questions about the story, content and so on with a parental figure ime and imo it'll be fine. And if they find it too much too read, they'll put it down all by themselves. Worked best for me, because when I was told I couldn't read or watch something, I'd somehow get my hands on it anyway (even as early as 6 with some children books my parents wanted to keep for later).

I'd say 15-16 would be good, I wasn't allowed to read the full books till then, my aunt would only let me read chapters that didn't involve too much brutality. The rapey-ness is the worst part for a young mind IMO.

I was very mature for my age as well but they still didn't let me, first book series I read fully was the hobbit and LOTR and all the other books pertaining (silmarillion, lost tales parts 1 and 2, children of hurin, even the Tolkien bestiary) which I started in 4th grade and finished it all by 6th, then moved on to eragon which I found childish, 1420 the year china discovered america (college reading level, read it in middle school), the Dune series, absolutely everything by HP Lovecraft and then ASOIAF in early high school.

I just wouldn't want my 13 yr old sister being afraid of being raped or having nightmares about the mountain raping and killing ya know

If you wait til your kids are 15 to introduce them to "adult" themes, you won't be the one introducing them. I'll put a double super-duper guarantee on that one. 15 is laughably old to be learning about even kinky stuff, much less straight sex. Your kids know, trust me.

Some of the violence may be a little over the top for kids, but hell, you see that on network TV, so there's not much point in trying to limit them. That'll just make it seem more and more fascinating. Don't fool yourselves.

I started reading GoT when I was 13, but didn't get to some of the more disturbing stuff (e.g. Harrenhall) until I was about 15.

In retrospect, I think that was too young. Some of the events are really disturbing and I think you risk giving a 13 year old nightmares.

Archived