Michael Brown Shooting and Civil Unrest III

davos

It's pretty clear to me that the cop with the police dog was pranking us.

But we should have at least 3 threads where we all Judge the cop without a trial.

We must also have several posters claim "fuck the police".

Because if we didn't have those threads.

We might rush to judgement without a trial.

And we wouldn't want that, now would we???

But we should have at least 3 threads where we all Judge the cop without a trial.

We must also have several posters claim "fuck the police".

Because if we didn't have those threads.

We might rush to judgement without a trial.

And we wouldn't want that, now would we???

Trial??? People still aren't even sure there will be any charges.

So I watched the Daily Show's take on Ferguson (link: http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ufqeuz/race-off ).

What struck me the hardest was actually the montage of Fox outlet commentators and the content of their... comments. In some cases, it's even worse than the crap we get on this board. And that stuff is out there in a major news outlet that millions of people trust. It gives me a sense of despair in a way, to see the conversation still stuck at that level for so many people. And I am not even the worst affected ethnic group. Some days, I wonder why black Americans haven't just up and enacted a coup already.

So I watched the Daily Show's take on Ferguson (link: http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ufqeuz/race-off ).

What struck me the hardest was actually the montage of Fox outlet commentators and the content of their... comments. In some cases, it's even worse than the crap we get on this board. And that stuff is out there in a major news outlet that millions of people trust. It gives me a sense of despair in a way, to see the conversation still stuck at that level for so many people. And I am not even the worst affected ethnic group. Some days, I wonder why black Americans haven't just up and enacted a coup already.

Please look to the "America's gun culture" and "militarization of the police" threads to the answer to that question.

Yes, it devolves into a language that is essentially filled with fighting words and it happens pretty quickly in part because the protests in Ferguson are seen as a challenge to legal authority. In some ways this attitude is justified, the guilt or innocence of this Officer will be decided in Court, as every reasonable person knows. In fairness the system is biased in favor of that police officer, under Missouri law, if he can reasonably prove that he felt endangered he is allowed to react with lethal force. I'm not sure if this will get past the Grand Jury and if it does I don't see how the Officer gets a fair jury trial, the entire jury pool has been contaminated.

As far as the gun and police culture goes, its a product of the 60's, 70's and early 80's and it was a reaction against the increased rights granted to suspects by the Supreme Court in several decisions as well as lax sentencing laws. Guys would commit murder and get out in 7 years back then, in some juridstictions. Hollywood was producing movies left and right decrying this, Dirty Harry and Death Wish come to mind and they were the tip of the iceberg, often it involved a lone vigalante or a small group of them or in Dirty Harry a rouge cop who dispensed the justice that system refused too. Politicians picked up on it because it was popular then terrorism came along and reinforced it further and now here we are. How we get out of this clusterfuck is really beyond me but a coup by Black Americans seems like a really bad idea.

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but as a non-American I´m quite fascinated by the sticky race relations across the pond. Anyone care to share their sociological perspective on why the killing of white Dillon Taylor (by a black cop) hasn´t made the bigger headlines? Is it because folks of his demography don´t use such cases as pretexts to loot and demonstrate other anti-social behaviour?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1435685/justice-for-dillon-taylor-why-has-unarmed-white-man-fatally-shot-by-black-cop-in-utah-been-ignored/

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but as a non-American I´m quite fascinated by the sticky race relations across the pond. Anyone care to share their sociological perspective on why the killing of white Dillon Taylor (by a black cop) hasn´t made the bigger headlines? Is it because folks of his demography don´t use such cases as pretexts to loot and demonstrate other anti-social behaviour?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1435685/justice-for-dillon-taylor-why-has-unarmed-white-man-fatally-shot-by-black-cop-in-utah-been-ignored/

I'd give it a B- if it wasn't for the name, which ratchets the whole thing up to B+ level at least. This should be good.

Do me a favor and find a dozen other cases like this from the past year, of a white person being killed by a black cop, and then maybe your post won't be seen as the race-baiting that it is.

Do me a favor and find a dozen other cases like this from the past year, of a white person being killed by a black cop, and then maybe your post won't be seen as the race-baiting that it is.

And maybe avoid the racist-ass "pretext to loot" horseshit.

Archived