Who's got a bigger stick up their butt? Jon or Stannis?

Little Member

Oh, Stannis definitely has a bigger stick up his butt. Jon is actually quite a flexible thinker, even if he is morose half the time (that would be those R genes I suspect).

Stannis is often hilarious, but as the straight-man. As many say, I'm not sure he's trying to be funny; more likely he just so deadpan serious he comes off that way. (If this was the film Dragnet, he'd be Joe Friday.)

Stannis is often hilarious, but as the straight-man. As many say, I'm not sure he's trying to be funny; more likely he just so deadpan serious he comes off that way. (If this was the film Dragnet, he'd be Joe Friday.)

Exactly. He's a perfect deadpan snarker rather than funny, tbh.

A character given to gnomic, sarcastic, sometimes bitter, occasionally whimsical asides. They can vary wildly from rare, funny one-liners to complete obnoxiousness. The Deadpan Snarker exists to deflate pomposity, point out the unlikelihood of certain plans, and deliver funny lines. Typically the most cynical supporting character. In most cases, it is implied that the snarker would make a good leader, strategist, or consultant given their ability to instantly see the flaws in a constructed plan. More often than not, their innate snarkiness is the only thing preventing the other characters from comprehending this for themselves. In other cases, the Deadpan Snarker resorts to sarcasm because they're the Only Sane Man. Tends to be shot a Death Glare when they go too far (and probably isn't without one of their own, either). Note that due to the definition evolving, the "Deadpan" part of the title has gradually become The Artifact and a deadpan delivery is no longer a necessary part of the trope.

Archived