Who WILL Be on the Iron Throne at the End?

Hodor's Dragon

The actually quote George uses is there will be a "few people" who will sit on the throne before the end. It's in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkzodgRaze8 @50:50..This was before Joffrey dies. Tommen, Myrcella, Aegon captures it. Or, more fitting, Henry(Aegon) marries the eldest daughter(Myrcella) of Edward IV(Robert) to unite both lines Lancastrian/Yorkist(Targ/Baratheon who are cousins)

Jon Snow could be Perkin Warbeck too. His(Warbeck that is) confession was extracted under obvious torture. He was in service to Yorkist Edward Brampton(Brampton was also paid by Richard III for reasons unknown)

Dorne is very much like Wales. They are pariahs from the realm at large. The rulers of their principalities style themselves as Princes. The Dornish Marches are probably inspired by the Welsh marches. The characters are to the mold of Spaniards, but the allusion fits well. George himself said there aren't direct parallels in this story, but more of a mash up of characters.

The entire Targ line is technically barred from succession. That includes Jon Snow and Daenerys.

Danearys has no Jasper Tudor who raised her. That's the dead give away. Henry doesn't take the throne without his uncle's leadership. Henry landed with foreigners and a great number of exiled Englishman(The Golden Company) as well.

A few is a rather vague term. I fully believe Aegon will sit the throne, but he won't be the last to do so, unless the reason no one follows him is because there's no throne left on which to sit. Dany is going to fight him, and there's a good chance he will die.

Myrcella would work well as an Elizabeth of York parallel if she weren't already slated to die, quite possibly before Aegon reaches King's Landing. But Aegon would be making a very odd move to marry the granddaughter of the man responsible for his mother and sister's brutal murders, and the supposed daughter of the man who killed his father and then usurped the throne. Emotional reasons aside, Myrcella brings very little to the table, being already engaged to Aegon's cousin Trystane, and the niece of yet another claiming to Aegon's (supposed) throne. She's a sweetheart, and beautiful, but she has no lands or titles, no political clout. At this point, I don't even think the people would care that she's supposedly Robert's daughter. Sansa makes a better Elizabeth of York at the moment. Granted, all of it could change easily during TWoW.

The author is on record as having said that Dorne is inspired by Moorish Spain and other Mediterranean cultures, not Wales. He said there are no 100% parallels, which means none of the characters or regions will exactly mirror their real-life counterparts. But there are certain things he's said are based on certain other things. The Wall is Hadrian's Wall. The North is Scotland. The Reach is France. The Ironborn are the Vikings. The Dothraki are a mix of Mongols and Native Americans, with dashes of other things thrown in. And the Dornish are not pariahs to the realm at large. They're like that quirky uncle no one quite understands, but they aren't shunned or considered outcasts.

Jon would have to be trying to claim the throne to be Perkin Warbeck. PW showed up claiming to be a prince everyone thought was dead. Aegon does the same. Jon will not be claiming to be a dead guy. For the record I don't think Aegon is necessarily fake, but he certainly could be.

We don't know that the entire Targ line is barred from succession, only that Viserys was (and likely any children he might have). At the time that decision was made, Dany wasn't even born yet, and no one knew that Jon existed.

Dany has no Jasper Tudor. Sorry but I have to invoke the no 100% parallels here. Dany had Ser Willam Darry, her brother, Illyrio, and some others various points. Dany also has Westerosi with her. Not as many as Aegon does, but she's undoubtedly going to pick up more. Plus she has dragons. I know Henry didn't, but dragons are rather a major factor.

A few is a rather vague term. I fully believe Aegon will sit the throne, but he won't be the last to do so, unless the reason no one follows him is because there's no throne left on which to sit. Dany is going to fight him, and there's a good chance he will die.

Dany will fight him, with an inferior army and small dragons. If he bonds with one, his superior commanders and alliances will win.

Myrcella would work well as an Elizabeth of York parallel if she weren't already slated to die, quite possibly before Aegon reaches King's Landing. But Aegon would be making a very odd move to marry the granddaughter of the man responsible for his mother and sister's brutal murders, and the supposed daughter of the man who killed his father and then usurped the throne. Emotional reasons aside, Myrcella brings very little to the table, being already engaged to Aegon's cousin Trystane, and the niece of yet another claiming to Aegon's (supposed) throne. She's a sweetheart, and beautiful, but she has no lands or titles, no political clout. At this point, I don't even think the people would care that she's supposedly Robert's daughter. Sansa makes a better Elizabeth of York at the moment. Granted, all of it could change easily during TWoW.

The Maegi prophecy is a weird one, mainly because shroud has two meanings. One that covers a corpse and one that shields or conceals. In that case, Myrcella's Baratheon heritage and claim to the throne(black stag on a golden field) is what protects her. Marrying Myrcella ends any civil war for control of the Iron Throne as the only two lines who have a claim (Targ/Baratheon) would be joined.

The author is on record as having said that Dorne is inspired by Moorish Spain and other Mediterranean cultures, not Wales. He said there are no 100% parallels, which means none of the characters or regions will exactly mirror their real-life counterparts. But there are certain things he's said are based on certain other things. The Wall is Hadrian's Wall. The North is Scotland. The Reach is France. The Ironborn are the Vikings. The Dothraki are a mix of Mongols and Native Americans, with dashes of other things thrown in. And the Dornish are not pariahs to the realm at large. They're like that quirky uncle no one quite understands, but they aren't shunned or considered outcasts.

Actually, no. It is inspired by Wales among other things

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Historical_Influences_for_Dorne/

Jon would have to be trying to claim the throne to be Perkin Warbeck. PW showed up claiming to be a prince everyone thought was dead. Aegon does the same. Jon will not be claiming to be a dead guy. For the record I don't think Aegon is necessarily fake, but he certainly could be.

He'll find out Rhaegar is his father, and I'm sure there will be those who will seek to back his claim. He'll show up with no proof and be labeled a fraud and pretender as Richard was(the Perkin Warbeck story is simply too unbelievable)

We don't know that the entire Targ line is barred from succession, only that Viserys was (and likely any children he might have). At the time that decision was made, Dany wasn't even born yet, and no one knew that Jon existed.

Dany has no Jasper Tudor. Sorry but I have to invoke the no 100% parallels here. Dany had Ser Willam Darry, her brother, Illyrio, and some others various points. Dany also has Westerosi with her. Not as many as Aegon does, but she's undoubtedly going to pick up more. Plus she has dragons. I know Henry didn't, but dragons are rather a major factor.

The fact that Jasper is crucial to Henry taking the throne is important. He was a surrogate father and guided him from a young age. Where will Dany pick up these Westerosi? She's going to land with Dothraki screamers and Unsullied. She isn't landing with Westerosi nobility and a well trained army with a built in alliance

I'm going with no one.

If not, then I like Davos there. He has a habit of rising, from smuggler to knight to Hand of the real king, who happens to be Stannis. Why not king? In a land obsessed with purity of blood, Davos is also a healthy genetic shot in the arm.

• 4 months later...

Archived