Mundobasket 2014

maria underfoot

Following the hype of the world cup, it's time for basketball!

These are the first day results:

Serbia-Egypt 85-64

Brazil-France 65-63

Spain-Iran 90-60

Croatia-Philippines 81-78

Argentina-Puerto Rico 98-75

Greece-Senegal 87-64

Ukraine-Dominical Republic 72-62

Turkey-New Zealand 76-73

USA-Finland 114-55

Angola-South Korea 80-69

Slovenia-Australia 90-80

Lithuania- Mexico 87-74

It's a shame Tony Parker's not playing, because I think France would be a truly dangerous threat if they had him. But with him not at the competition it feels like a bit of a two-horse race. Can't really see anyone other than the USA or Spain winning the thing. I'm cheering for Lithuania and Slovenia to do well - the draw is such that one of them should make it to the semis. Not sure that either will be able to hang with the USA when they get there though :(.

Also, I dislike the way they've set up the knockout brackets so that teams from pools A and B can't play teams from pools C and D until the final. It would be better if there was some crossover so that teams in different halves of the draw actually had a chance of playing each other, IMO. Would also make it harder for two teams to have to play each other twice if one group ends up being much stronger than the others (almost certain to happen with Group A having so many good teams in it).

ST

I did not know this was a thing. Where can I see a schedule?

http://www.fiba.com/spain2014

You'll find the full schedule under Games.

Greece made it to the next phase by winning the first 3 games but the first two were really easy. The next two against Croatia and Argentina will be challenging and will determine what position we'll actually get in our group..

Serbia won against Egypt and Iran, but lost to France by 1 point after what appeared to be a non-existent foul by Raduljica in the last second of the match.

I haven't seen that match but there was a bit of talk about that and the ref who awarded the foul and free throws has been suspended from the tournament so it appears to be something more than the usual "ref robbed us" speech.

I'm french, and I don't think there was a huge foul, though Radujlica's defense was a bit rough and risky when you should absolutely NOT make any foul. It was a rough call, but "robbing" might seem a bit of an exageration, because the referee had been calling those kind of fouls all game long, on both sides. I'm not saying he was right, I'm saying you should adapt when you can't foul your opponent. But I'm biased so my opinion isn't that valuable.

Anyway, the game was tied, so it would have gone to overtime. TBH we deserved the win against Brazil and we lost, we didn't have a really good game against Serbia, and perhaps we should have lost, although Serbia has not been able to kill the game when they could (and should) have, especially in the early 3rd quarter.

Serbia will qualify though, and you look at the group B, exept Senegal who will probably go against Spain, the teams are all at pretty much the same level so I don't think it will matter much in the end.

I'm french, and I don't think there was a huge foul, though Radujlica's defense was a bit rough and risky when you should absolutely NOT make any foul. It was a rough call, but "robbing" might seem a bit of an exageration, because the referee had been calling those kind of fouls all game long, on both sides. I'm not saying he was right, I'm saying you should adapt when you can't foul your opponent. But I'm biased so my opinion isn't that valuable.

Anyway, the game was tied, so it would have gone to overtime. TBH we deserved the win against Brazil and we lost, we didn't have a really good game against Serbia, and perhaps we should have lost, although Serbia has not been able to kill the game when they could (and should) have, especially in the early 3rd quarter.

Serbia will qualify though, and you look at the group B, exept Senegal who will probably go against Spain, the teams are all at pretty much the same level so I don't think it will matter much in the end.

"Ref robbed us" is an excuse used too often in Serbia and that's why mentioned it.

I didn't see the match so I can't comment but I've read some reports and how even Lovergne (spelling?) said the foul was a harsh call (this might be Serbian media making stuff up ;))

There was a point in the match when our team had a 10 point lead and couldn't break the match in our favour so the ref should definitely not get the blame.

Interesting to see Australia beat Lithuania, although I guess they do have a very decent team. Might make it interesting - in that pool you really want to try to finish 1st or 3rd to avoid being in the same quarter of the bracket as the US. We could end up in a situation where it's in Lithuania's best interests to lose their last match against Slovenia to give them more of a chance to reach the semis...

ST

"Ref robbed us" is an excuse used too often in Serbia and that's why mentioned it.

I didn't see the match so I can't comment but I've read some reports and how even Lovergne (spelling?) said the foul was a harsh call (this might be Serbian media making stuff up ;))

There was a point in the match when our team had a 10 point lead and couldn't break the match in our favour so the ref should definitely not get the blame.

It's "Lauvergne" actually. But he's biased too, he played for the Partizan, and stated that he loved Serbia and Belgrade hahaha.

Plus, he's the kinda guy that would get his eyes teared out and still call it a "harsh call".

Watched Brazil:Serbia last night... The weirdest basketball match ever... First only Brazil played, then Serbia, then again Brazil... There was only one team playing... Different team at different periods...

Serbia won against Greece rather comfortably.

It surprised me quite a bit, I must say. With Greece 5-0 record from the group stage I expected a very tough match for our guys.

Instead, they controlled the match in the first half and slowly but surely widened the gap in the second.

I'm glad for these guys and hope they do well in the next round, too.

Archived