All-time Fantasy top 5

Calibandar

Yeah, I can see your point. I wonder, though, if there aren't at least a couple of applicable contributions he made to English literature as a whole (I'm not the person to really answer this -- maybe DF or ?? would be able to elaborate.)

In my own ignorant internal universe, I usually lump LotR in with Beowulf or the Song of Roland -- thematically, not stylistically.

Yes, Tolkien had a fairly good translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight/Pearl that made the rounds about 40-50 years ago and his name first was made in medieval Black Country literature (esp. poetry). As for "placing" him, he had quite a few decent ideas and some talent in writing, but his better work, writing-wise, can be seen in that gest he wrote that's in vol. 3 of the History of Middle-Earth series.

Oh, and because I thought the results would be different on wotmania, I did a similar poll this past Friday (still ongoing) and the top 5 there and those close behind (very preliminary, as most of our viewership is Monday-Thursday). Have 46 different authors nominated so far, so the relatively low point totals don't reflect the 20 or so that have voted so far:

1. Martin (34 pts.)

2. Erikson (22 pts.)

3. Tolkien (15 pts.)

4. Williams (12 pts.)

5. Borges (10 pts.)

And just below them:

Gaiman (9 pts.)

Jordan (8 pts.)

Constantine (8 pts.)

Wolfe (7 pts.)

Feist (7 pts.)

I'm so proud of Borges getting that much love there, not to mention Gene Wolfe. :D

Oh, and because I thought the results would be different on wotmania, I did a similar poll this past Friday (still ongoing)

1. Martin (34 pts.)

2. Erikson (22 pts.)

3. Tolkien (15 pts.)

4. Williams (12 pts.)

5. Borges (10 pts.)

Gaiman (9 pts.)

Jordan (8 pts.)

Constantine (8 pts.)

Wolfe (7 pts.)

Feist (7 pts.)

I noticed that unlike here or Malazan, the author who is the supposed focus of Wotmania is only in 7th place, maybe the site is slightly misnamed ;)

He's the biggest phenomenon among people who read certain message boards dedicated to hashing out who is the best among author... I think that's a pretty limited subset of the SF/fantasy readership we're looking at here.

Anyway, all this will soon be moot once TG has destroyed the genre once and for all with his transcendence of tawdry boundaries of style and classification according to "fantasy".

My (and some others') definition of "fantasy" includes the surreal and the speculative, not just secondary-world, so that's why Borges has received the love so far. Oh, and as for Jordan not being near the top...there's a HUGE difference between our Other Fantasy section and the rest of the site. A good many regulars there tend to actually hate WoT with a passion, which is amusing to me. And now I see I'm getting some there to read Saramago, so I'm a VERY happy camper, even if I'm tired from this new job - I HATE morning work!

While I know they aren't the top 5 in the genre by any means, they are my top 5 authors:

1. George R. R. Martin

2. Steven Brust

3. Glen Cook

4. Tad Williams

5. Hmm... I guess I just have a top 4, because there are too many authors that can take the #5 spot.

• 5 months later...
Ah, but for those who haven't read a tonne within the genre or know a bit about SF/F history, these authors are relatively unknown. However, for those who don't know better, Tolkien = History of Fantasy. Thus votes for Tolkien but not for other historically important SF/F authors.

I recently started getting back into fantasy after like a four or five year hiatus. I was kind of wondering why some of those authors don't seem to be on readers' horizons. Leiber is among my all time favorits. Same with Moorcock. Perhaps I'm too old.

• 2 weeks later...
3. Lloyd Alexander (Prydain Chronicles)

Just because books are children's books doesn't mean they shouldn't get mainstream recognition.

Although I was seriously tempted to put in the Gaiman just for the Sandman graphic novels for the same sort of reasoning. But I've been playing Amber RPGs for too long to not list Zelazny, I suppose :)

I'm not sure about total crap, but he's definitely not what I'd consider high quality. Or even terribly medium quality.

Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles were, I think, the first fantasy books I'd ever read...I must have been around 1st grade. Can't recall what I read after that though...

I also noticed that nobody has listed CS Friedman - I think the Coldfire trilogy was a great read, even with some of the moderately cheesy lines.

DK

Archived