Small Questions v.10089

Jon Weirgaryen

In the chapter where Ned first meets LF and LF asks if Brandon ever spoke of him Ned claims that Brandon did often and heatedly. I thought Brandon was killed relatively soon after his duel with LF and that Ned was in the Vale at the time so how is it possible for this?

Perhaps Eddard was just trying to shut him up...

"Often, and with some heat," Ned said, hoping that would end it. He had no patience with this game they played, this dueling with words.

Eddard IV, Game

This one's dumb as hell. In Storm of Swords, when she discovers Barristan and Jorah's deceptions, Daenerys freaks out and the chapter ends with "'You go….you go….' ….and then she knew where." Where does she know they're going?

I thought she decided to send the couple of them to the sewers... :) .

I have a question too: when Jaqen H'ghar came up with the "weasel soup" plan, did he already know that the Bloody Mummers decided to go over to Roose Bolton? Or did he find out only after the execution of the plan?

This one's dumb as hell. In Storm of Swords, when she discovers Barristan and Jorah's deceptions, Daenerys freaks out and the chapter ends with "'You go….you go….' ….and then she knew where." Where does she know they're going?

To the sewer.

In her next chapter in describes in detail how she sent them on a suicide mission that they both managed to survive...

ETA: double ninja'd

I thought she decided to send the couple of them to the sewers... :) .

I have a question too: when Jaqen H'ghar came up with the "weasel soup" plan, did he already know that the Bloody Mummers decided to go over to Roose Bolton? Or did he find out only after the execution of the plan?

A man sees. A man knows.

A simple no might be wrong. R_T is the queen of love and timelines.

:D

I have to admit, I have wondered about that one as well. Since the duel between Brandon and Petyr occured after the Tourney at Harrenhal, most likely only months before Brandons death, there wouldn't be any time for Brandon to tell Ned about Petyr after the duel.

So I'm guessing that Brandon had been at Riverrun before. That would make sense, as Brandon was betrothed to Catelyn, and Hoster would want to see who he was marrying his daughter to. Petyr would, by then, have most likely already been there, at Riverrun. And with his early obsession for Cat, he most likely immediately took offense to Brandon, causing Brandon to talk to Ned about Petyr..

Any visit that Brandon would take to Riverrun would give Petyr oppertunity to react to Brandon, and it would give Brandon another oppertunity to discuss Petyr with Ned when Ned visited home (perhaps when arranging the betrothal of Lyanna and Robert?), or when they met up elsewhere, or when (if) Brandon visited the Vale (with people from the Vale in his group on the way to KL, it wouldn't be strange if Brandon had visited once or twice).

From Dance 18, the chapter where we learn who Young Griff really is :

"Enough," said Griff. "Be quiet, all of you."

Septa Lemore sucked in her breath. "What was that?"

"Where?" Tyrion saw nothing but the fog.

"Something moved. I saw the water rippling."

"A turtle," the prince announced cheerfully. "A big 'snapper, that's all it was." He thrust his pole out ahead of them and pushed them away from a towering green obelisk.

This passage happens before Tyrion unmasks Young Griff as Aegon. So did GRRM make a mistake, or is it just a "teasing", a hint?

From Dance 18, the chapter where we learn who Young Griff really is :

This passage happens before Tyrion unmasks Young Griff as Aegon. So did GRRM make a mistake, or is it just a "teasing", a hint?

Well, I guess Martin was teasing us, showing us that Tyrion had found out something about the character we readers believed to be Young Griff, son of Griff the sellsword. I don't believe he made a mistake, this would be a rather big blunder. Since the chaper is told from Tyrions perspective the use of the word prince should tell us that Tyrion knows (or believes to know) who Griff really is.

Mychel, the happens before Tyrion beats Haldon at Cyvasse and gets Haldon to confess, but Tyrion already suspected, since it was Tyrion commentating, I guess his head just filled in his own suspicion.

Actually it's after, Tyrion beating Haldon at Cyvasse is in Dance 14, the previous Tyrion chapter.

Well, I guess Martin was teasing us, showing us that Tyrion had found out something about the character we readers believed to be Young Griff, son of Griff the sellsword. I don't believe he made a mistake, this would be a rather big blunder. Since the chaper is told from Tyrions perspective the use of the word prince should tell us that Tyrion knows (or believes to know) who Griff really is.

If so, it's rather unusual. The prince's mention is not from Tyrion thoughts, it's from the narrative text. If it's really a hint, it's strangely given.

If it is after the game for secrets with Haldon...Well, I'm not sure what to think about that. It could be a hint since Martin didn't (in the narrative) reveal the secrets Tyrion discovered, it happened off-screen. A really interested and keen reader would therefore begin to look for signs but it is quite oddly placed...

Since it is a POV, I guess that the description is from Tyrion's Point of View as well, right? So the word Prince would be from his POV as well. As Tyrion had already discovered the secret, this might simply have been a second hint (isn't the first hint "Gods and wonders always appear, to attend the birth of kings." ? ;) last line of the cyvasse chapter).

That Young Griff is called prince in description (by Tyrion), could simply be a second hint, fitting GRRMs pattern (though it is a rather short period).

1) very subtle hint ("...to attend the birth of kings")

2) less subtle, but still subtle, hint ("...the prince announced cheerfully.")

3) spelling it out (Tyrion calling YG Prince out loud, and the boy confirming it / YG telling about his identity as Aegon)

Archived