The Novella Portents [Spoilers for everything]

Sword of the Morgan

I think it's pretty clear at this point that GRRM decided to release the Dunk and Egg novellas, as well as The Princess and the Queen and The Rogue Prince, to provide us with information that would become relevant to the ASoIaF story. I just wanted to start a thread to go over some of the things from those short stories that we have already seen become relevant to the larger tale, as well as things that people think could/will become relevant.

For example, we are introduced to Bloodraven in the Dunk and Egg stories, and he ends up being the Three-Eyed Crow.

Also, we read about the dance of dragons in The Princess and the Queen, potentially setting the stage for second dance in TWoW or ADoS.

There are other examples, so let's point out the ones that have already come to fruition and the things that may do so in the future, no matter how large or small.

In aDwD JonCon says that House Frey has been long reknown for treachery and in the Mystery Knight we find out the Freys betrayed the Blackfyre supporters to Bloodraven.

Also, I saw a theory about the Ghost of High Heart being a descendant of the kid Alys Rivers had with Aemond Targaryen, which is cool

And yeah, the Sansa's suitors thingy

Also, I saw a theory about the Ghost of High Heart being a descendant of the kid Alys Rivers had with Aemond Targaryen, which is cool

The name Alys in all his forms is very popular with the Hightower family/around Oldtown and the "modern" Hightower are interested in magic ....

The D&E novellas have lots of Blackfyre-related info. Several possible connections to Varys, as well. Most of which are mentioned in this OP, The Brightfyre Theory.

We are told that Varys, who had been Master of Whisperers for ~20 years up until just recently, smuggled the babe Aegon Targaryen safely out of the city using a double, but was unable to do the same for Elia or Rhaenys. Yet in TPatQ, we see that the then MoW, named Larys, was able to smuggle Aegon II and two of his children out of the city. No doubles, no problem. I think that casts doubt on the credibility of the already dubious pisswater prince story.

In TRP, there are a couple of marriage-related passages that might help us to better understand some of the R+L=J legitimacy issues. 1) When Viserys I is crowned, Daemon asks him to set aside his marriage to the Royce woman, which the king refuses. 2) Later on, Daemon and/or Rhaenyra ask Viserys for permission to marry, which he denies on the basis that Daemon already had a wife.

1) The Faith had no authority over royal marriages.

2a) Daemon/Rhaenyra viewed polygamy as an option. Otherwise they wouldn't have asked.

2b) But also, the "bookish to a fault" Rhaegar would have known that they were denied permission. Which provides a motive for him to run away and marry Lyanna Stark in secret. Permission cannot be denied if it was never requested.

We are told that Varys, who had been Master of Whisperers for ~20 years up until just recently, smuggled the babe Aegon Targaryen safely out of the city using a double, but was unable to do the same for Elia or Rhaenys. Yet in TPatQ, we see that the then MoW, named Larys, was able to smuggle Aegon II and two of his children out of the city. No doubles, no problem. I think that casts doubt on the credibility of the already dubious pisswater prince story.

I took that passage a different way.

Larys did not use doubles, and thus Rhaenyra's side knew they were missing, knew they were out there, and thus kept actively looking for the missing king and heirs. That might have lead to the death of Maelor, who, as Aegons direct heir, would be targetted before Jaehaera (I'm really hoping that we find out how he died in the World Book).

If Varys wanted to prevent such a search, he would need a double.. which he could find for Aegon only.

I took that passage a different way.

Larys did not use doubles, and thus Rhaenyra's side knew they were missing, knew they were out there, and thus kept actively looking for the missing king and heirs. That might have lead to the death of Maelor, who, as Aegons direct heir, would be targetted before Jaehaera (I'm really hoping that we find out how he died in the World Book).

If Varys wanted to prevent such a search, he would need a double.. which he could find for Aegon only.

Sure, but all three made it out of the city alive, which is better than you can say for Elia and her children. While a properly executed baby switch might offer better long term survival prospects for Aegon, it also undermines the supposed long term goal of placing him on the IT, because of the dubious 'chain of custody' involved.

Also, it seems to me that Varys could have swapped babies and still smuggled Elia, Rhaenys, and the Aegon-double out of the city, while planning to send the real Aegon across the Narrow Sea. It seems rather short sighted of the almost infinitely clever Varys to overlook the importance of Elia and also Rhaenys in establishing Aegon's identity and supporting his claim.

When Varys shows up telling you he made a secret deal with a dead person, you can take him at his word if you like, but I won't. :)

Sure, but all three made it out of the city alive, which is better than you can say for Elia and her children. While a properly executed baby switch might offer better long term survival prospects for Aegon, it also undermines the supposed long term goal of placing him on the IT, because of the dubious 'chain of custody' involved.

Also, it seems to me that Varys could have swapped babies and still smuggled Elia, Rhaenys, and the Aegon-double out of the city, while planning to send the real Aegon across the Narrow Sea. It seems rather short sighted of the almost infinitely clever Varys to overlook the importance of Elia and also Rhaenys in establishing Aegon's identity and supporting his claim.

When Varys shows up telling you he made a secret deal with a dead person, you can take him at his word if you like, but I won't. :)

Smuggle away the mad kings hostages? And be burned alive? An infant in his mothers arms would never get a second look. The two princesses missing and Varys will watch himself melt. I believe he is the real Aegon because Elia and him made the plan long before the sack.

Smuggle away the mad kings hostages? And be burned alive? An infant in his mothers arms would never get a second look. The two princesses missing and Varys will watch himself melt. I believe he is the real Aegon because Elia and him made the plan long before the sack.

Varys is a pretty resourceful character. I bet he would try really hard not to get caught. :)

Archived