Will the Iron Men take Oldtown?

Archmaester Drew

Ah, I see. Though it would also make sense for it to be Raventree because it would signify all the different regions they had land in. Thanks for the correction though!

I would've thought so too given the relationship between the II and Riverlands, but the main part of the Blackwood sigil is the dead weirwood. The ravens only go around the side, at least for the kite-shield looking design I've seen thus far.

I think Euron will try to take Oldtown, but will fail due to two things: Sam and Connington arriving to aid the city.

Yes, Melisandre had a vision of towers falling by the sea, which means the Ironborn will kick some Hightower ass

I doubt that given the ambiguity regarding the vision.

Woah, fucking right! (Why haven't I recognized it before?)
- Longship for the Iron Islands -> checked
- Grape cluster for the Arbor -> checked
- Raven for Oldtown -> soon checked(?)
- Green pine for Bear Isle ->... coming soon?!

Except Euron is focused on the south not the North, so I doubt he'll try to take Bear Isle. The remaining Ironmen in the North have been dealt with except Dagmer. That is where the theory falls.

Yes. I think Euron is going to do in the Reach what Theon did in the north. The attack on Oldtown will only be a feint at first, Willas and Garlan will take all the men they can muster to defend the city and retake the Shields, while Euron takes a force up the Mander to take Highgarden unawares. When Willas and Garlan rush back to HG, the ironmen will sack Oldtown.

Unrelated rant: How the fuck could Balon believe Theon is a weakling? He basically won the war for his father, and somehow Asha is better than him for taking a wooden castle with 4000 men, while Theon took WINTERFELL with thirty? THE FUCK?!

Yes. I think Euron is going to do in the Reach what Theon did in the north. The attack on Oldtown will only be a feint at first, Willas and Garlan will take all the men they can muster to defend the city and retake the Shields, while Euron takes a force up the Mander to take Highgarden unawares. When Willas and Garlan rush back to HG, the ironmen will sack Oldtown.

Unrelated rant: How the fuck could Balon believe Theon is a weakling? He basically won the war for his father, and somehow Asha is better than him for taking a wooden castle with 4000 men, while Theon took WINTERFELL with thirty? THE FUCK?!

Indeed. At least Asha concedes "It was cleverly done, and if you had the brains to put the castle to the torch and taken the Stark boys back to Pyke you could've one the war in a stroke."

No offense, but that sounds a bit convoluted to me. HG is deep in the heart of the Reach with a large army watching the Mander and a boom chain, and how would Euron be able to sail up the Mander to HG with a large army at the Shields near the mouth of the river? I doubt a crippled Willas would lead forces himself at Oldtown. Oldtown offers richer pickings in HG being one of the most important cities in Westeros, and Euron would need to move faster than he is able to go from HG to Oldtown without being seen. Also what about the army at the Shields you mentioned? Euron would have to sail out of the Mander to get to Oldtown, and the army at the Shields going to HG would likely inhibit that.

How will they take the city is a problem.

It'll be heavily garrisonned (unlike Winterfell) and the defenders will not pick a bait and left the city unprotected (like the Shield Islands). If the aftermath of the SI is known, then the defenders will fight to the death.

I think Euron will find a way. He will strike a castle along the Mander with his full power. Redwyne and Hightower Fleets will retake the Shields and close the mouth of the Mander to wait for Euron to come, who is up on the river. Instead of going down the river to the trap, Euron will have his men carry his longships up to the Honeywine and take Oldtown in the rear. Oldtown will not expect an atack from there and the city garrison will be further weakened by the force sent to close the mouth of Mander and defeat Euron.

This way, the reinforcements will be days/weeks away and the city will be ripe for taken. But I think JonCon will arrive at the last moment to smash the ironborn against the walls. He will claim the glory but the battle will be really lost when Sam slays Euron with an arrow before JonCon arrives.

You know giving this a re-think I don't think Euron will take the city so much as sack it, specifically he'll go after the Maesters and (their supposed) stash of Dragon eggs. We've already had a POV in which a key that an archmaester had was stolen by a Faceless Man, and Euron's used Faceless Men before...

And he's learning magic, and if Dany can hatch dragon eggs, why can't he? Especially since one of those mages he's got actually met Dany and could have asked her entourage questions about what she did to make the eggs hatch.

The thing about the scneario in which Euron takes his ships overland to the Honeywine to attack Oldtown from behind, is that the plan is highly risky.

If he was caught in land carrying ships he is lost. Garlan is close, with 10-20k army.. Lots of horses.

There is no way he can pull it off withought taking out that army first.

Second greatest city, although the one I'd choose to live in.

And I don't think they'll take it, but many men will be taken, and Sam is probabably among them. Unless Sam kills Euron with an arrow, which would be cool as fuck.

Second greatest city, although the one I'd choose to live in.

And I don't think they'll take it, but many men will be taken, and Sam is probabably among them. Unless Sam kills Euron with an arrow, which would be cool as fuck.

why don't more people choose to live in the arbor...seems like it would have a good climate, has great wine, you could sail for fun and I imagine that the women around the area would be attractive, also huge navy so unless the ironborn throw their entire strength at them, they should just about never been invaded, excluding dragons of course

why don't more people choose to live in the arbor...seems like it would have a good climate, has great wine, you could sail for fun and I imagine that the women around the area would be attractive, also huge navy so unless the ironborn throw their entire strength at them, they should just about never been invaded, excluding dragons of course

I prefer Oldtown...the Hightowers are extremly smart, I like how the city is described in AFFC, and honestly, there's no safer place than there.

Although I'll give you I wouldn't mind living in the Arbor.

There's a problem with Euron, and is the fact that he doesn't have his 100 strongest and largest ships, the 100 from the Iron Fleet.

All he has are small longships, 40 oars each (at best). He shouldn't have more than 10-15,000 men with him right now. Really weak army. The quality of the warriors is not the best as well.

Attack Oldtown, all but guarantied.

Take, no. I see the two Greyjoy uncles failing in unison across thousands of leagues.

Both will essentially die to give another factions power.

There are only two more books left, and Winter has come.

The Iron Born's foolish effort to conquer Westeros will end sooner rather than later.

Euron will get bloody close though, and will likely fail due to Sam or (f)Aegon coming in/advising at the last second.

He's already attempted one trick, so he will likely try another high risk one that will be his salvation turned to ruin.

Archived