Will the Iron Men take Oldtown?

Archmaester Drew

Just to mention some stuff.

1. The Hightowers aren't leaving for the Shield Islands, the fleet being built/hired are meant to protect the Sound, not to project power.

2. The city will be protected by like 10,000-15,000 men, it'll not be blackwater with the defender being outnumbered 3:1.

3. Lord Leyton being stupid to fall in the Rodrik gambit would contradict his stance in the entire war.

The Ironmen will definitely take Oldtown - why introduce Euron as such a threatening antagonist if he doesn't pull this off? Sam said it himself - if Oldtown and the Arbor falls, King's Landing will fall apart.

Most importantly, I think the "great stone beast ... breathing shadow fire" is being created by Old Lord Leyton and Malora the Mad Maid. If Euron is to take control of it (which seems likely; the other slayer of lies visions refer to other claimants of the Iron Throne), he will need to conquer Oldtown.

Perhaps Melisandre's vision about the sea and the three towers indicates that three of the Hightowers will be killed during Euron's invasion.

IMO, the Redwyn fleet will have to be destroyed before the Ionrborn can take Oldtown. I also think there has been a setup for Garlan to try and retake the shields thinking that the Ironmen are away at Oldtown only to be ambushed by them. Once the Reach starts taking losses things will open up. We could all be wrong about who will attack Oldtown, afterall we know there are people in Dorne calling for exactly that.

I will be impressed if they succeed in taking Oldtown, especially when the Iron Fleet is on the other side of the world. I'd imagine it's a pretty hard city to take. Even if they do manage it, they'll take heavy losses. Add that to the heavy losses Victarion will suffer and has already suffered, it's hard to see where the Ironborn can go from there. But if they manage to get dragons... Euron is clearly going for an all or nothing approach. Knowing GRRM, I think I can guess which way it's going to end. But Oldtown could well be a victim of Euron's mad schemes.

I meant Butterbumps the Tyrell fool (or any fool for that matter). People don't know how authoring works. Euron was not made and hyped to die early & ignominiously in TWOW. Get off fat Sam's nuts & pink mast.

As an author, yes, characters take on a life of their own and can go in directions you never anticipated but certain elements of plot you MUST adhere to b/c they are part of your plan. That is why GRRM will not change the R+L=J that he put in print in '96 even if people figured it out (like smart people can) and it's why King Euron will not die on a silly failed sack of Oldtown early in TWOW from fat sam like some here are envisioning.

Also, what's w/ everyone on this- Sam will kill Euron with an arrow nonsense? Where does that hogwash originate? It's on some dumb shit and proof you don't know how writing works.

Be angry if you want but I'll be here when TWOW comes out and expect an apology.

I do not proclaim to KNOW where the story is going, but I can expertly attest to some things that will NOT happen. This is one such.

The Sam killing Euron originated partly because of his nickname of Crow's Eye.

I doubt sam will go all commando and take out Euron , even by his own admission his greatest victory, against a white walker was almost accendental, and that being part of his character will probably not change.

That said I think he will play a major roll. Euron is going there for a reason, maybe for dragon eggs, maybe for another reason. Sam will play a roll in Oldtowns defense, amd may possibly stop Euron from taking over the city but Euron will get away.

If you think Euron is about to die early in TWOW from a failed raid on Oldtown you're dumber than Butterbumps.

So you're calling me dumb?

The Ironmen will definitely take Oldtown - why introduce Euron as such a threatening antagonist if he doesn't pull this off? Sam said it himself - if Oldtown and the Arbor falls, King's Landing will fall apart.

Most importantly, I think the "great stone beast ... breathing shadow fire" is being created by Old Lord Leyton and Malora the Mad Maid. If Euron is to take control of it (which seems likely; the other slayer of lies visions refer to other claimants of the Iron Throne), he will need to conquer Oldtown.

Perhaps Melisandre's vision about the sea and the three towers indicates that three of the Hightowers will be killed during Euron's invasion.

Except Euron wasn't introduced as a really threatening protagonist, IMO,and he already has impacted the storyline by sending the Iron Fleet to Dany and creating division between the Reach and Cersei. The "great stone beast breathing shadowfire" doesn't fit Euron in any way.

KL could still lose the Arbor and Oldtown without Euron taking them by way of joining Aegon. They supported Aegon II in the first Dance.

Also, what's w/ everyone on this- Sam will kill Euron with an arrow nonsense? Where does that hogwash originate? It's on some dumb shit and proof you don't know how writing works.

Be angry if you want but I'll be here when TWOW comes out and expect an apology.

I do not proclaim to KNOW where the story is going, but I can expertly attest to some things that will NOT happen. This is one such.

No offense, but being a teacher you could more professional in the way you argue. Denigrating another's argument doesn't prove you're right or add anything to your argument, just that you are showing a lack of respect for other's opinions. Proof you don't know how writing work? Do you have a copy of TWoW in front of you to verify those claims?

Apologize for what? It isn't a sin to hold an opinion or theory different from yours. Also, what if the theory proves to be right? Would it be you giving the apology? :laugh:

It would fit Sam's character arc. The striding huntsman of his sigil wields a dagger and a bow and arrow. Sam's archery skills have been given attention several times throughout AFfC with the last time his arrow going into a longship. I doubt that attention paid to his archery is for nothing. It will have a role to play later on in the series. Sam already killed an Other with a dagger, and killing Euron with a bow and arrow would have him become the striding huntsman of his sigil.

So you're calling me dumb?

Except Euron wasn't introduced as a really threatening protagonist, IMO,and he already has impacted the storyline by sending the Iron Fleet to Dany and creating division between the Reach and Cersei. The "great stone beast breathing shadowfire" doesn't fit Euron in any way.

KL could still lose the Arbor and Oldtown without Euron taking them by way of joining Aegon. They supported Aegon II in the first Dance.

No offense, but being a teacher you could more professional in the way you argue. Denigrating another's argument doesn't prove you're right or add anything to your argument, just that you are showing a lack of respect for other's opinions. Proof you don't know how writing work? Do you have a copy of TWoW in front of you to verify those claims?

Apologize for what? It isn't a sin to hold an opinion or theory different from yours. Also, what if the theory proves to be right? Would it be you giving the apology? :laugh:

It would fit Sam's character arc. The striding huntsman of his sigil wields a dagger and a bow and arrow. Sam's archery skills have been given attention several times throughout AFfC with the last time his arrow going into a longship. I doubt that attention paid to his archery is for nothing. It will have a role to play later on in the series. Sam already killed an Other with a dagger, and killing Euron with a bow and arrow would have him become the striding huntsman of his sigil.

Very good point. Sam is a major character, one whos character arc started long before Euron came on the scene. There is more of a chance of getting some resolution on his arc over Euron being unstoppable.

Archived