Dornish Debates II: Of Orphans and Inheritance

Julia Martell

Yeah, it's a bit frustrating that Doran kinda does this a bit often. To be honest, he could have sent them BOTH to Tyrosh, which is even less suspicious as his wife was from Essos, and meet Viserys and Dany.

Ay, Doran....

Well Mellario is a bit of a contradiction too. She's upset about Quentyn being fostered away and doesn't want that for her other kids, but then because of her falling out with Doran goes back to Norvos away from her other kids.

Sending them both to Tyrosh seems pretty logical to me. Maybe he gave her that option but she didn't also want to be away from Tryst? Or maybe she's Daario! I'm hoping we do see her in the last 2 books though.

Well Mellario is a bit of a contradiction too. She's upset about Quentyn being fostered away and doesn't want that for her other kids, but then because of her falling out with Doran goes back to Norvos away from her other kids.

Sending them both to Tyrosh seems pretty logical to me. Maybe he gave her that option but she didn't also want to be away from Tryst? Or maybe she's Daario! I'm hoping we do see her in the last 2 books though.

I don't believe Mellario left Dorne willingly, if you ask me.

Poor Trys was totally the "save the marriage" baby.

Do we know how long she's been away.

Well Tryst is 6 years younger than Quentyn, and we know Quentyn was sent off when he was "very young" (I'm guessing 5 or 6, so right when she was pregnant with Quentyn). Arianne is 5 years older than Quent? So she'd have been 10 or 11, cupbearer age. So I'm thinking Mellario threatened to harm herself right around then (maybe right after Tryst was born), and then left a couple years later once Tryst was weaned. That's what, 10 years ago? Just a guess.

At least she now gets Drey for entertainment.

Poor Trys was totally the "save the marriage" baby.

Do we know how long she's been away.

She and Doran have spend half their marriage apart. They were married between 272AC/273AC and 276AC.

Trystane was born in 287AC, so she definitly left after his birth.

With them having been married for about 24 to 28 years (say 26 for average), they will have spend roughly 13 years apart.. She will have left within years after Trystane's birth.

Well Tryst is 6 years younger than Quentyn, and we know Quentyn was sent off when he was "very young" (I'm guessing 5 or 6, so right when she was pregnant with Quentyn). Arianne is 5 years older than Quent? So she'd have been 10 or 11, cupbearer age. So I'm thinking Mellario threatened to harm herself right around then (maybe right after Tryst was born), and then left a couple years later once Tryst was weaned. That's what, 10 years ago? Just a guess.

At least she now gets Drey for entertainment.

I guess their marriage was having problems even before that.

(Aegon was the "save the marriage/I'm sorry I crowned that girl, I don't want to sleep in the couch" baby for R and E, it is known)

You can't just say that and leave it there....

Is she the Great Other? What?

I'm pretty sure Doran forced her to. She always wanted to be with her children, but suddenly, when her youngest son is..5? 6? she leaves Dorne.

My ass.

I think GRRM has kinda answered this. Like, some women would rather live the children, or something.

Here's the quote:

It wasn't a good marriage. They married because of an attraction to something new and exotic. Sometimes, attraction happens when you least expect it. He was a prince of a distant country, and she was a woman full of life, who was very appealing, who came from a very different culture. When she comes to Dorne, she finds that there are customs that are different from those of Norvos, especially regarding the fostering away of children to others.

This wasn't a political marriage, nor a magical one, it was simply an example of human nature. Sometimes relationships start on a good foot: you become acquainted, there's a great sexual attraction, you establish a relationship, you marry... and then in four or five years you realize that you don't really have anything in common, that at best you've made a mistake and are in a situation that doesn't have any easy solution in a society such as that of the Seven Kingdoms, where divorce simply isn't common. This is an example that it's not only marriages of convenience that fail, but even the marriages for love can fail.

Sometimes the marriages of convenience in the Seven Kingdoms come out well and those that are for love don't. Sometimes a couple loves one another, and then at some point they don't. There are marriages that also develop out of nothing more than lust (laughs). There's no guarantee that things will go well and the consequence of this is that disappointments develop and you end up estranged, each person going their own way. There's some bitterness from Mellario about this, because as Prince of Dorne, Doran has been able to stay with his children and she has had to leave them.

I think GRRM has kinda answered this. Like, some women would rather live the children, or something.

Here's the quote:

There's some bitterness from Mellario about this, because as Prince of Dorne, Doran has been able to stay with his children and she has had to leave them.

That's exactly what I'm saying. She was forced to leave Dorne.

Found:

Q: If Doran and Mellario had discussed the reasons for why he wanted to send his children away, why did she leave?

It wasn't a good marriage. They married because of an attraction to something new and exotic. Sometimes, attraction happens when you least expect it. He was a prince of a distant country, and shew as a woman full of life, who was very appealing, who came from a very different culture.

[...]There's some bitterness from Mellario about this, because as Prince of Dorne, Doran has been able to stay with his children and she has had to leave them.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

Q: If Doran and Mellario were arguing because he wanted to take the children away, why did she leave?

Well… this marriage, in contrast to the others in the series, wasn’t about politics or alliances. It was for love. Doran was a prince, attractive in his youth, and Mellario fell in love with him. Like in real life, two people are attracted to each other and join their lives. But then love can fade, and so things come up that can separate you. It also helped that where Mellario is from, the custom of sending your children away to other places was unthinkable, and she didn’t understand it. So there were several factors, and in the end nothing held her to Dorne anymore.

(NINJAed...!)

Archived