How is there such an apparent lack of coordination between the apparent Targ supporters (Martells, Varys, Ilyrio, etc)

Caraxes

Been a while since a I read DWD but this was one of the big impressions I came away with… It seemed odd to me that after all of the years of planning for Aegon’s VI ascension to the throne, the apparent baby swap, fostering of Dany and Viserys, brokering the Khal Drogo marriage and everything else that specifically Varys and Ilyrio have been working so meticulously at in support of the Targaryens for so long , that:

1. Considering we know that Varys and Ilyrio are working on this together, and that they not only seem to be working to help Dany but Also Aegon IV, it just seemed crazy to me that they would let Aegon, Connington, and the rest of the GC pack up and go to Westeros whilst completely abandoning the whole very, very important (both militarily and for the support of the ppl) idea of bringing these two forces together (Aegon and Dany + Dragons) and that all of the sudden he just up and goes to Westeros after a little conversation w Tyrion. You would think that Connington, Varys Ilyrio, or someone or something would stop this after all these years of planning, and make sure that they join forces or at least really talk to Aegon and try to make him understand.
  1. With Varys being who he is, and quite possibly having more knowledge of the dealings, motivations, and secrets of the lords of Westeros than any living character, how would he not have coordinated the support of the Martell’s into all of this as well. Did he really have no idea that they were still Targ loyalists?

It seems like if Varys and Ilyrio are really pulling the strings here it would make A LOT of sense for them to coordinate these Forces that all seem to have the same goal (return to Targ rule) andafter waiting 17+ years to make a move they would take a little more time to bring together Dany, her Dragons, Aegon, the GC, AND the Martells… sounds like a winning combination to me and again just seems like a no brainer that these masterminds would have gone for but they’re seemingly just letting all of this stuff fall apart when they are finally close to their goals.

I know their goals are unclear at the end of the day, and that there are arguments to be made against this but it was the overall feeling I got after reading the book.

What am I missing?

The Martells are aware of no such plan but I think Littlefinger is in on it and he has done his part well and then some, for selfish-personal reasons no doubt.

This. The tapestries along with the fact that i think in the show he mentions "Aegon's enemies" referring to the conqueror but it was a little tongue in cheek the way it sounded. Also, it would make sense if we assume he's saving Sansa for him.

well they litteraly need to improvise every step of the way, 1, viserys dies 2. drogo dies 3. eggs hatch 4. dany stays in slaver's bay 5. aegon turns for westeros 6. aegon wants to fight in storms end

you can't ecxpect them to be prepared for everything

Who is ect.? Its just 2 different parties that arent on the same page

meaning everyone else including the parties that are not the masterminds behind it.. dany, aegon, GC, connington, depending on how you look at it this is certainly more than two parties. I understand there are hypothetical answers to all of this. I just found it frustrating and almost unrealistic that after 2 decades of planning this, so much could head in the wrong direction all at once. like wouldn’t Connington know that it makes sense for them to at least try to make some sort of alliance with Dany. Also, again I feel like Varys would or should have known about the Martells and some much more logical alliance or marriage could have been set up rather than blindly sending Quentyn Martell and a few guards out to Essos to die.

I guess I just felt like the missteps and lack of coordination was really disappointing being someone who would like to see the Targs come back in one way or another.

I can certainly see there are a number of potential reasons for all of this now...

Using Viserys and the Dothraki to cause chaos in Westeros, after which the "uniting against" the Dothraki forces would be ruined by outing Cersei's children as bastards, causing Westeros to crumble to pieces. Then Aegon with the GC could easily invade.

Dany, in the early plans, was simply meant as payment, to get the Dothraki on Viserys' side.

With Aegon being Elia's son, Varys and Illyrio would not have doubted that Dorne would support their cause.

meaning everyone else including the parties that are not the masterminds behind it.. dany, aegon, GC, connington, depending on how you look at it this is certainly more than two parties.

Depending on how you look at it being the operative phrase (we live in the eye of a one eye-d giant named mutumba)

All 4 of those listed belong to Varys and Illyrio's scheme, and dany later dornes; They're the only two whove been planning this rebellion since the end of the last

meaning everyone else including the parties that are not the masterminds behind it.. dany, aegon, GC, connington, depending on how you look at it this is certainly more than two parties. I understand there are hypothetical answers to all of this. I just found it frustrating and almost unrealistic that after 2 decades of planning this, so much could head in the wrong direction all at once. like wouldn’t Connington know that it makes sense for them to at least try to make some sort of alliance with Dany. Also, again I feel like Varys would or should have known about the Martells and some much more logical alliance or marriage could have been set up rather than blindly sending Quentyn Martell and a few guards out to Essos to die.

I guess I just felt like the missteps and lack of coordination was really disappointing being someone who would like to see the Targs come back in one way or another.

I can certainly see there are a number of potential reasons for all of this now...

Aegon was convinced to go to Westeros by Tyrion.

It isn't much but I don't think I need to say more. We all know the convincing Tyrion can do, and the fact that other banners would rush to Aegons aid is a great reason to sail to Westeros. He will probably have all the aid he needs from that.

Although I am curious.... who all would align with Aegon? I am interested to know

I always felt that their whole plan was to put "Aegon" on the throne. They get Viserys to invade with drogo and they use Aegon to save the day. The Martells knew nothing of varys/illyrio's plan, otherwise they would have tried to arrange that Arianne marry Aegon all those years go instead of viserys.

I agree I think crowning Aegon in the number one goal.

But I've never buyed into the set Viserys and Dany up as villains idea. Why would you willingly create another enemy for yourself? One with a large army feared thoroughout the known world (though in reality are terrible) . Also why would you drag the Targaryan name/image through the mud a second time?

Rather I imagine Varys and Illyrio have lots of potential pay-offs, back up plans and contingencies. Ideally they'd subdue Viserys and supplement the invasion of the Golden Company with Dothraki Screamers. But if either Viserys or Daenarys died, the plan still steams ahead.

Archived