What's the stupidest theory you've read ?

Bearded Swordsman

As Apple Martini pointed out, there aren't many R + L = J supporters that think he'll wind up on the throne. I know I don't. That said, it'll add a certain layer of poetic irony to the character. The boy who could have been living the high life in KL had Rhaegar gotten his way has instead spent his life as a bastard in WF and then at the Wall. He hasn't lived a bad life, but he also hasn't lived a princely life.

Then there's the angle of him possibly being the rightful king, or at least a claimant. As you said, Jon has already had two tests to his oath. But remember that Maester Aemon, another Targaryean, had three. There's a reason that was mentioned; Jon will have a third test to his oath. Don't you see the poetic symbolism in this?

Now, I don't know how his potential parentage will reach public ears, and I'm sure most won't believe them anyway. But Howland Reed was a close friend of Ned Stark's and was at the TOJ with him; I wouldn't put it past him to convince some of the Northern Lords of this. That could be a catalyst of him having to face the temptation yet again of breaking his vows. And it would add yet another complication in fighting the Others. Jon, I'm sure, will not give into this temptation of breaking his vows, but in this scenario he would have to try and convince the Northerners that a more important war is coming, and not to worry about getting him on the throne.

Now, I'm not saying this is exactly how it goes down. But it is one possible, plausible scenario. The R + L = J theory has a hell of a lot of foreshadowing and evidence backing it up, almost to the extent that it would be bad writing if that isn't the case. Yes, there's disagreement over the specifics. Some think Rhaegar and Lyanna married, some believe the kidnapping story, others think he'll sit the throne, and still others believe that Rhaegar was right about the PTWP and that Jon is the embodiment of that prophecy. And if that's the case, R + L = J is pretty damn important.

Edit: Also, you seem to be assuming Aegon is really who he claims to be. It would be very GRRMesque to first reveal a red herring hidden Targ before giving us the real deal.

1. How is it poetic for somebody to not have a great life... but then have pretty much a great life, or at least a good life?

2. Jon has actually had more than two tests of his oath. First, when he went to mole town. Second, after the Fist of the First Men. Third, with Stannis's offer of legitimization. Perhaps others. So, no poetic symbolism.

3. The R + L = J theory has a lot of foreshadowing -- in your opinion. Without the internet I'm pretty sure hardly anybody at all would have ever picked up on it. R + L = J did not arise from evidence pointing to it; somebody had a whim, and then as time went on evidence was been warped to validate R + L = J. Much of the other theories are the same.

4. How would Jon fulfill the PTWP, even with Targ heritage? It's pretty clear to me that AAR is Dany; why else would GRRM include Maester Aemon's puzzling together of the theory? If anything, though, I say the prophecies are most likely unimportant. Mel, for instance, is obviously a strong believer in AAR; she's also a strong believer in a lot of things that turned out to also be false. I say Jon is just Jon.

To treat it as fact is not logical thinking, as it is all in the hands of Martin. So yes, one can deny it, until Martin writes it.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, I think I can conclude that it's a duck without GRRM beating me upside the head to tell me it's a duck. It was written to be figured out, and the author isn't in the habit of spoonfeeding every little thing. He expects people to figure things out for themselves a lot of the time.

My two biggest picks for "Most stupid" are:

"Ned is somehow alive" and "Rhaegar is somehow alive" - though thousands saw their deaths as it happenned.

There are so many terrible ones.

These seem to be recent "board favourites":

Howland Reed=High Septon

Mance is Rhaegar...

Daario being Benjen

None of these make the slightest bit of sense.

Euron being Daario is literally impossible.

And as for this:

Cat's children being Edmure's (Robb), LF's (Sansa), Bloodraven's (Bran) and Hodor's (Rickon)...

So Arya is the only one of Ned's children that is actually his ?! :rolleyes:

Archived