How did Barristan know to go to Pentos and ally with Illyrio to find Daenerys?

Archmaester Drew

I think he had some "assistance" from Varys. He didn't come up with the idea on his own.

Really? Barristan was member of Small Council, he must have known that Viserys and Dany were protected by Magister of Pentos. I always assumed that he went to Pentos on his own...

Really? Barristan was member of Small Council, he must have known that Viserys and Dany were protected by Magister of Pentos. I always assumed that he went to Pentos on his own...

I'm sure he knew that, yeah. But I also think he waffled between Dany and Stannis more than he let on, especially based on what he told Joffrey when he walked out (which he has yet to tell Dany, by the way). Wouldn't surprise me if Varys offered up some suggestion.

I'm sure he knew that, yeah. But I also think he waffled between Dany and Stannis more than he let on, especially based on what he told Joffrey when he walked out (which he has yet to tell Dany, by the way). Wouldn't surprise me if Varys offered up some suggestion.

Yeah, the question "how he knew" is what I was answering to, but the question "how he got there" doesn't exclude Varys.

I think Varys most likely contributed to Selmy's journey by omission...I doubt Selmy disappears from KL without Varys expressly allowing it to happen. Maybe at most something along the lines of Tyrion except Selmy probably needed a greater sense that he was making his own decisions/plans.

Where I think Varys probably contributed more than is discussed is the gradual erosion of Selmy's faith in the cause he was serving, and/or guilt about the Targaryans he wasn't serving. I think this would have been done very subtly, chipping away with the odd comment here, the odd reminder there, probably all the while being himself someone who represented what Selmy despised in himself.

Him knowing about Illyrio is illogical for one reason.. If they knew about Illyrio, there's no way Illyrio would've been able to safely travel to KL and talk with Varys beneath the Red Keep in GoT.

I'm pretty sure that was done secretly and no one knew about it. Which is why Varys met with Illyrio in the dungeon.

I always thought Varys was involved. It's one thing to know they're in Pentos, and another to walk up to the house where they were staying (being a famous member of the Westerosi Kingsguard) and gain admittance. No way he just goes to Illyrio and gets assistance without a pass, if you will, from Spider-man.

Archived