Would the Estermonts have the best claim to the Iron Throne if the Baratheons (and the Targaryens) become extinct?

Lord Rhaegel Tarly

If Tommen, Myrcella, Stannis, Shireen, Aegon and Dany die, then could that make House Estermont the Royal House? The mother of Robert, Renly and Stannis was an Estermont, born from the main branch and was a sister to the current head of the house, Lord Eldon Estermont. Now I know that Robert's claim to the throne came from his grandmother being a Targaryen, but if the Targaryens become extinct as well, or do not return to Westeros any time soon (or get exiled again), would the genealogy conclude that the Estermonts are the rightful rulers of the Seven Kingdoms? i.e. They are the closest kin to the male line of the previous rulers.

First I guess we assume that everyone adheres to the rules of inheritance, and that the seven kingdoms and the Iron throne continues as before.

As I've seen/understood it, Robert became king because he was the rebel lord who was closest related to the last targaryen kings. One might argue that since Dany, and possibly Aegon (and Jon) are the rightful heirs but for the sake of argument let's say they are dead as well. In that case we go back to the next person closest in trueborn line to either the last Targaryen kings, or the Baratheon brothers. If you or one of your ancestors in that line were bastard born, you're out. If you go by Targaryen line it's probably Doran Martell, but there might be someone else we haven't heard of. If you go by Baratheon line it is someone we don't know about.

There also sometimes seems to be possible for a relative to a spouse to inherit lordship/lands but I would think that is unusual or a "last resort" if no real relative exists.

Of course, this is all hypothetical, in a real situation like this it would either be he who conquers everything who rules, or the the seven kingdoms as a political entity would cease to exist. Or a combination of the two, someone takes the Iron Throne with power, but some kingdoms break free.

No. The Baratheons might have Estermont blood, but the Estermonts don't have Baratheon blood. It's the Baratheon line that's royal. So they'd need to find, in theory, houses into which a Baratheon had married, not a house that had married into the Baratheons. More likely though they'd have to call a council to designate someone.

House Baratheon was founded by a bastard I don't see why it can't be continued by one

Who in Westeros would chose Gendry or Edric as king?

And who would legitimize them?

And House Baratheon was founded by a bastard yes but only because he was the king's brother, and it was that king that started the house by marrying Orys with the Stormking's daughter, not Orys himself

What about all robert baratheons sons? Gendry? Ned?

Bastards without a backing.

Ned isn't Robert's, by the way. I guess you ment Edric Storm, but he isn't called Ned.

House Baratheon was founded by a bastard I don't see why it can't be continued by one

A rumoured bastard with a dragon or three at his back and successful in battle. Big difference.

Who in Westeros would chose Gendry or Edric as king?

And who would legitimize them?

Whoever profits from using them as a means of gaining the Stormlands support.

A rumoured bastard with a dragon or three at his back and successful in battle. Big difference.

Isn't there someone in Edric's rough direction with three dragons who could use a little meat puppet to control the Stormlands?

The Martells are next in line after House Baratheon dies out. Then the Arryns (and by extension, possibly Timmet son of Timmet). After that the Velaryons, if there are any left. And we have a number of Targs whose descendants are thus far unknown. There's Egg's third son, Aerion's boy, several of Jaehaerys I and Alysanne's kids. Then any Blackfyres could make a play. And there are always any number of Aegon IV descendants.

House Sunglass and Celtigar are both Valyrian blood, and the Targaryens probably intermarried with both at one point.

Almost all of the great houses probably have some claim on the IT, however distant, as per Ned's line to Robert "You had the better claim, you're grace"

Archived