Do any of the ASOIAF Characters rank in your top 10 in fiction? (spoilers?)

Marcus Agrippa

That class sounds cool and awful at the same time. xD

I suppose I was a bit limiting but honestly nothing in fantasy has inspired me like this has... All the series that I grew up with are just trash... Not really trash, but less engaging.

Special shout out to Kaladin Stormblessed and Shalla from stormlight archive. I forgot I enjoyed the hell out of that one.

It's a 300 course so its mostly research based. Pain in the neck- but I am ok with it. It's cutting away at some of my stances towards people however at the same time its enforcing that for a really smart species... we so dumb.

Really not even Aragon or Gimli (books not movie)? Gimli is so damn tough that I think he could crush the hound in a one v one. Granted I do get it do. So many of these characters have great stories. Some of them seem repetive like cat or littlefinger. Once I heard about the red wedding I was sure he was going to kill joff and I was also sure he was going to move in sansa.

Anyway I will need to start creating a tally for ASOIAF characters. This is my own little project. Amazing that theon seems to top the list right now. He doesn't seem to get as much action as Stannis, Daenerys, Sansa, Cat, or Ned does.

Since other people named their top 10-

1. Carolina Red vs blue

2. Tony Soprano- The soprano's

3. Dr. Ellie Sattler- Jurassic Park (movie- not book)

4. Caeser- Rome

5. Brienne- ASOIAF

6. The Genie- Aladin (Disney version* this might just because of robin williams)

7. Kathryn Merteuil- Cruel intentions- (her character MADE that movie)

8. Elsa- Frozen

9. Stannis- ASOIAF

10. Alan Grant (Jurassic Park- Novel not movie)

Jurassic Park the book is one of the better 90's books. I would suggest reading it even if everything we know- this event could never happen.

While all of the main characters in ASOIAF are very complex and iwell written, for some reason i just can't place them in my top characters of all media. But if I limit it to books only, I think I can place Jon in the top 10 with some difficulty. Tyrion and Ned will most probably make it to the top 20.

I understand that- I had to think hard of some sort of standard. Stannis if I think about it might actually be in the teens. And where movies give you advatages of seeing your characters and getting a clear read- same goes for tv.

If you want to elect classics thats your own choice- it is your list. I have a logical way of putting my list together based on character strenght.... and a lot of those characters are flat in my head. Do I knw why? probably not but If you compare Brienne and Juliet- Brienne is better in almost everywhere.

Hmmm....

This is hard, across all medias would I include an ASOIAF character in my top 10? The only one who would be able to get there is Dany.

I grew up watching a lot of animation and films with my brothers and many of them have stayed with me throughout the years but also as time has pass I keep on adding more characters to the list. I loved Conan, Wolverine, Batman, Optimus Prime, Goliath (Gargoyles), Han Solo, Elizabeth Bennett, Virgil Tibbs, Annie, Jen and Kira (The Dark Crystal), Odysseus, Van (Escaflowne), Dexter, Sirius Black, Rose Hathaway, John Crichton, Sorcha (Daughter of the Fores), The Unicorn / Lady Amalthea (The Last Unicorn), Anne (of Green Gables), Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, The Doctor, Olivia Dunham, Walter Bishop, etc, etc...

I think you need to do sub-categories across all media is just too hard.

From Macbeth to the 'historical' plays, Shakespeare had a pretty massive influence on ASOIAF. I know there's a GRRM quote to this effect somewhere...

Prehaps I should give them a read then. In latin I had way to much of verigal and homer I was about done after that. Maybe it wasnt vergial maybe I am thinking of pliny the elder

Shakespeare would be insanely embarrassed if he knew how much of his reputation rested on Romeo and Juliet, his weakest surviving play by far.

Reputation amongst whom? And surely "Hamlet" would loom larger in the imagination of those with a casual knowledge of the plays.

YEP WE'RE GONNA DO THAT.

Fuck your mummified canon. Besides, Shakespeare makes sexposition look chaste.

+1

I don't really have anything against the mummified canon; it has its own value. But the art of writing has advanced over the centuries, not retreated, and ASOIAF is as grand a story as you will find anywhere in the largest library. Not only that, but characters are its strength. I dare say ASOIAF is the first story that has ever been told that has over 20 highly memorable individual characters, as it most assuredly does.

Yes, but only 1 for me.

Cloud Strife - Final Fantasy 7

Logen Ninefingers - The First Law

Jaime Lannister - ASOIAF

Maximus Decimus Meridius - Gladiator

Charles Brandon - The Tudors

Dr. Gregory House - House M.D.

Cesare Borgia - The Borgias

Sawyer - LOST

Wolverine - X-Men

Aloysius Pendergast - The Pendergast novels

Archived