Who would win Aragorn vs Jaime Lannister?

Iulian Fedot

Yeah, if Martin says Jaime is better then Jaime is better. That *is* how it works, since Jaime as a character is now at least partially based upon Aragorn.

If Chris Tolkien were to step forward and reveal that Aragorn actually underwent intense sword training for the remainder of his life until he was better than Jaime Lannister, then whatever, but until then if the author defines their character as X in relation to Y, then we must accept that relationship unless Y changes. It doesn't matter whether or not Y is his creation.

Your opinion. We can agree to disagree, but Martin still has no say over Tolkien canon or Jamie's relative standing to other characters outside of Westeros (and he's not allowed to bring the characters into Westeros without the consent of the author).

These are all just opinions, not facts though. So all this 'that is/isn't how it works,' including mine, is subjective.

• 6 months later...

I'll try to break it down for you.

Lets say you imagine a car. You create an imaginary car, in your mind. And in your mind, the car can go x mph.

Now, lets say I in turn imagine a car. I've created another imaginary car. Neither car is real. But in my mind, the car can go x+1 mph. In fact, that is one of the definitive attributes of my imaginary car, that it can travel faster then your purely imaginary car.

Now, you can try to argue that your car is the fastest car in the world. That it has a W-16 2000hp engine with a body frame made from unicorn horn.. You may say that there is no way that my car, which is made from a soap box and has wheels made of stale wonderbread slices, can go faster then yours.

But in the metaphysics of my world, that I have created, which is totally imaginary, my soap box with wonderbread wheels still goes x+1 mph.

GRRM, the creator of his own little imaginary world, says that his imaginary boy is better then JRRTs imaginary boy.

That's how it works.

I don't read it that way. I don't read GRRM as making an unlimited statement of Jaime's ability, such that however strong Aragorn may be, Jaime is stronger. And I think that would be silly.

I think Jaime's ability, however good he may be, is finite and limited and within the bounds of ordinary humanity. I think GRRM is comparing his (canon) assessment of Jaime's ability, to his (non-canon) assessment of Aragorn's ability. And it is perfectly possible he is underestimating Aragorn; having forgotten those details of Tolkien's story that show Aragorn really did have abilities beyond those of the ordinary human.

Seriously.

Have any of you guys actually READ Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion and all the expanded universe material?

Aragorns lineage is blatantly superhuman where as Jaime even at his best doesn't reach PEAK human. As a Numenorean Aragorn has superior strength, stamina and likely speed to anything that Jaime could ever possess, and when we add to that having over three times the other mans experience... well Jaime will look like a child being beat up by his older brother.

I don't read it that way. I don't read GRRM as making an unlimited statement of Jaime's ability, such that however strong Aragorn may be, Jaime is stronger. And I think that would be silly.

I think Jaime's ability, however good he may be, is finite and limited and within the bounds of ordinary humanity. I think GRRM is comparing his (canon) assessment of Jaime's ability, to his (non-canon) assessment of Aragorn's ability. And it is perfectly possible he is underestimating Aragorn; having forgotten those details of Tolkien's story that show Aragorn really did have abilities beyond those of the ordinary human.

specially when he hints more comparisons that might not have logic in tolkiens canon. if gimli can beat the mountain, and gregor has a big chance against jaime as he did with oberyn, that would make gimli better than aragorn, since Jaime is clearly better than him.

martin is messing with tolkiens own canon, so F him xD

Oh come on, Aragorn would win. It's not even a question. Aragorn must win. If anything should go wrong, Legolas will help him out. But nothing will go wrong. Aragorn killed two head orcs, fought a troll, fought Nazgul, survived a fall off a cliff, lived in the wild for decades. What did Jaime do? Stabbed Aerys Targaryen in the back and won a tourney or something?

• 1 month later...

Aragorn. At the Battle of Pelennor Fields he emerged unscathed, whilst in the middle of battle with orcs, mumakil, Nazgul, and Haradrim. Whatever kind of warrior Jaime is with both hands, he wouldn't get through that in one piece.

Aragorn can also cleave through armour with his blade (otherwise how else is he killing the heavily armed Uruk-hai and orcs?), which is almost physically impossible. That's how strong he is and how mighty his blade is.

By his race alone he is physically (and mentally) more powerful than Jaime in every way. He's a wise, patient man, not one to ever be riled by anything Jaime has to say to him.

In terms of battle experience, he's far, far, far older than Jaime and a veteran of battles far before the War of the Ring. Jaime has experience in duels and jousts. He's not a soldier.

Jaime Lannister is an exceptional human knight in Westeros, a low fantasy setting renowned for its realism and limited combat application compared to more magical franchises, including Lord of the Rings. His greatest feats of skill were to slay 3 of Robb's bodyguards (10 Northerners according to the TV show) before allowing himself to be disarmed and captured. He also fared quite well against Brienne of Tarth, a renowned knight with full battle equipment, while having his hands tied. Before that he did not kill any noteworthy characters, as both Big Belly Ben and the Smiling Knight survived their encounters with him. He was regarded as an equal to Barristan Selmy, which would perhaps place him as being worth at least 5 ordinary Kingsguard members. However, they are only human. Unlike a certain someone he is now pitted against.

Aragorn Elessar is a Dúnedain, a race of Men gifted with long life and superior endurance, strength and durability to common humans. He is a descendant of the great half-Elven king Elros Tar-Minyatur and has lived for 88 years honing his skills as a ranger, mastering both the bow and the sword with unparalleled skill. His sword is Andúril, the sacred Flame of the West, reforged from the shards of Narsil that slew Sauron - a Maia, angelic if not divine beings set to aid the gods in shaping the world. In the Skirmish at Amon Hen, he slew 16 Uruk-hai - monstrous creatures clad in thick armor and many times stronger than any human - using only an ordinary sword and a dagger. He later killed 20 Uruk-hai in the Battle of the Hornburg, and (alongside Gimli) plowed through the entire tortoise formation of Uruk-hai outside the gate of Helm's Deep. I could not even count how many ordinary Orcs he slew, nor give enough praise to how easily he did so. His physical prowess was enough to not only go toe-to-toe with an Uruk-hai, but actually hold his ground in a sword-lock against a 19 foot troll - a troll that would smash Gregor Clegane to pieces with a single punch.

So, the conclusion. With Aragorn's superhuman strength and the magical properties of Narsil - a god-slaying weapon - he could easily cut through any physical (and, as proven in his encounter with the Army of the Dead, intangible) matter in Westeros with ease. I think a single sword stroke would cut through Jaime's entire armored body, including his sword and shield, ending the battle instantaneously. Even if that is not the case, we see that he is simply superior in every way - stronger, more durable, more enduring, faster, and not to mention far more experienced. We are comparing a man who could theoretically slay 5 humans, against a man who can plow through legions of superhuman monsters and not take a single hit.

Aragorn is as strong as Gregor Clegane, as fast and agile as Syrio Forel, as skilled as the top 10 Westerosi knights combined, and wields a magical sword that can destroy an opponent's soul and cut through god-empowered armor. I don't see Jaime surviving this encounter except by begging for mercy.

Jaime Lannister is an exceptional human knight in Westeros, a low fantasy setting renowned for its realism and limited combat application compared to more magical franchises, including Lord of the Rings. His greatest feats of skill were to slay 3 of Robb's bodyguards (10 Northerners according to the TV show) before allowing himself to be disarmed and captured. He also fared quite well against Brienne of Tarth, a renowned knight with full battle equipment, while having his hands tied. Before that he did not kill any noteworthy characters, as both Big Belly Ben and the Smiling Knight survived their encounters with him. He was regarded as an equal to Barristan Selmy, which would perhaps place him as being worth at least 5 ordinary Kingsguard members. However, they are only human. Unlike a certain someone he is now pitted against.

Aragorn Elessar is a Dúnedain, a race of Men gifted with long life and superior endurance, strength and durability to common humans. He is a descendant of the great half-Elven king Elros Tar-Minyatur and has lived for 88 years honing his skills as a ranger, mastering both the bow and the sword with unparalleled skill. His sword is Andúril, the sacred Flame of the West, reforged from the shards of Narsil that slew Sauron - a Maia, angelic if not divine beings set to aid the gods in shaping the world. In the Skirmish at Amon Hen, he slew 16 Uruk-hai - monstrous creatures clad in thick armor and many times stronger than any human - using only an ordinary sword and a dagger. He later killed 20 Uruk-hai in the Battle of the Hornburg, and (alongside Gimli) plowed through the entire tortoise formation of Uruk-hai outside the gate of Helm's Deep. I could not even count how many ordinary Orcs he slew, nor give enough praise to how easily he did so. His physical prowess was enough to not only go toe-to-toe with an Uruk-hai, but actually hold his ground in a sword-lock against a 19 foot troll - a troll that would smash Gregor Clegane to pieces with a single punch.

So, the conclusion. With Aragorn's superhuman strength and the magical properties of Narsil - a god-slaying weapon - he could easily cut through any physical (and, as proven in his encounter with the Army of the Dead, intangible) matter in Westeros with ease. I think a single sword stroke would cut through Jaime's entire armored body, including his sword and shield, ending the battle instantaneously. Even if that is not the case, we see that he is simply superior in every way - stronger, more durable, more enduring, faster, and not to mention far more experienced. We are comparing a man who could theoretically slay 5 humans, against a man who can plow through legions of superhuman monsters and not take a single hit.

Aragorn is as strong as Gregor Clegane, as fast and agile as Syrio Forel, as skilled as the top 10 Westerosi knights combined, and wields a magical sword that can destroy an opponent's soul and cut through god-empowered armor. I don't see Jaime surviving this encounter except by begging for mercy.

Also, just to clarify, I am not in any way criticizing George R. R. Martin's incredible works of fantasy, nor trying to act like a fanatic fanboy of the Lord of the Rings franchise. I am simply a realist - Westeros is a world with limited levels of magic and supernatural elements, while Lord of the Rings has plenty of it. While this does not necessarily make Lord of the Rings a better series, it certainly makes it more powerful in a crossover battle comparison.

Archived