If Aegon is the real son of Rhaegar, would Dany bend the knee?

Lee-Sensei

Step back there and consider what your asking:

"Sit and pass the exam, while you're still sitting through the lectures."

If you see ALL of Slaver's Bay as one massive lesson on the things she needs to let go of (like her "empathy" when it stops her being ruthless if required) then maybe - maybe - her final ADWD chapter indicates she will be much more the mother of dragons from now on, and much less the Mhysa. And so, hopefully, a less conflicted and more effective ruler.

How many epiphanies has she had now?

(Personally I think this is mostly down to GRRM's knot, but w/e, based on what we know...)

Not sure why the laugh. When they were hatched, it's expressly said they're so small a single wing of a blade would kill them. Protecting them, not having them taken from her, these were all a big deal - again, no one trained her in dragonrearing.

1) how was protecting them a big deal? Who tried to kill them, and how did she stop them?

2) you're missing the point. Slightly more grown and ONE was worth an entire industry. There are very few chickens about which you could say the same.

How many epiphanies has she had now?

(Personally I think this is mostly down to GRRM's knot, but w/e, based on what we know...)

Well yeah the knot seems to have been a huge blight on her storyline. But I think even more so, the huge waiting time between books that has made people feel like Dany's delayed invading Westeros for 18 years.

She hatched her dragons like, what - 2 years before the end of ADWD? She ain't doing bad for herself.

1) how was protecting them a big deal? Who tried to kill them, and how did she stop them?

2) you're missing the point. Slightly more grown and ONE was worth an entire industry. There are very few chickens about which you could say the same.

What I originally meant is that they were useless in battle until grown - while hugely desirable and so vulnerable.

If Viserys was laughed at up and down the Free Cities, how much attention would his younger sister have been paid?

Sure, Viserys was laughed everywhere. His extremly hot and beautiful sister...well, I doubt any man would laugh at her. I'm pretty sure every single man who met her wanted her.

... wanted her, so they they could teach her diplomacy, military strategy, and how to rule?

If only she'd known.

:|

Who's saying anything about military strategy? I'm just saying she was probably taught like any Essosi princess would have been taught.

Well they're so good at figuring out prophecy, doncha know.

I'm also still waiting for evidence of any sort that Dany's less glamorous experiences have made her a better ruler. Surely if that were the case, she'd have done better in Slaver's Bay. Empathy is nice but it doesn't feed people. And the free people of Westeros aren't exactly going to be bowled over by abolitionism. Which is all Dany can offer: "You're free!" Security, food, employment, stability? Who gives a shit about any of that when you have empathy? :D

I don't think you're going to get an answer you'll agree with since you don't think she's a good ruler. But anyhow, she's tried to secure security, food, employment and stability for her people. It's not like she hasn't gotten these things because she doesn't know how or hasn't tried. She doesn't hold court and hand out empathy like Oprah does cars.

I'm sure there will be other liars, betrayals and battles even after 500 years.. Like today.. :dunno: This is why I don't understand ''slayer of lies'' title..I can't imagine a country without lies.

Dude. No one is saying there will never be lies ever again. I'm pointing out that the fabrications in the story have been building up and getting bolder for a long time and the realm has been suffering for it. Surely you have noticed that?

Who's saying anything about military strategy? I'm just saying she was probably taught like any Essosi princess would have been taught.

but the gaps in her knowledge are so obvious and mentioned time and again.. She only ever mentions learning things from Viserys, and a lot of that is of course wrong

So she's an untrained girl who hatched dragons somehow - dragons who were about as dangerous and useful as chickens, but she ensured they survived. Without any training on how to raise dragons either!

She fed them. What an accomplishment.

#cheap

I'm sure that Dany would be just as successful without the last three dragons in the world.

but the gaps in her knowledge are so obvious and mentioned time and again.. She only ever mentions learning things from Viserys, and a lot of that is of course wrong

Sure, and she knows how to speak Valyrian because...?

How can YOU imagine it when we've never seen Aegon deal with anything like that? There's not enough information about Aegon to discern what he would have done in any situation.

Unless Aegon meets an insurgency by being oblivious to the head of said insurgency literally sitting across from him at the dinner table, I'm not sure how he could do worse.

Also this idea that "you can't manufacture a king" goes against pretty much every established pattern of rearing royal kids in the medieval period. They had their own tutors, chaplains, guards, households, etc. They "held court" at their households. They learned languages, reading and writing, math, politics and cultural pursuits like art and music. They were groomed to one day rule the country, their husbands' households, their own duchy, whatever. From birth they were educated and trained to be rulers.

She fed them. What an accomplishment.

I'm sure that Dany would be just as successful without the last three dragons in the world.

In Astapor

*I want to buy these unsullied. I'll give you my bear for exchange for them"

*(In Ghiscari) Take this whore to Yunkai. She'll make a fine bed slave. Send the big hairy one that smells like day old underclothes to Mereen. I'm sure he'll be fine in the fighting pits. And take the old Dothraki and feed them to the pigs.

*whip whip.

And so ends the tale of Dany.

Unless Aegon meets an insurgency by being oblivious to the head of said insurgency literally sitting across from him at the dinner table, I'm not sure how he could do worse.

Also this idea that "you can't manufacture a king" goes against pretty much every established pattern of rearing royal kids in the medieval period. They had their own tutors, chaplains, guards, households, etc. They "held court" at their households. They learned languages, reading and writing, math, politics and cultural pursuits like art and music. They were groomed to one day rule the country, their husbands' households, their own duchy, whatever. From birth they were educated and trained to be rulers.

She is right about that one, hard to argue there :D

Archived