Tarth-Targ Connection?

Did anyone else pick up on subtle mention of the "Targaryen ties" to house Tarth on p 232? This is not in the Targaryen lineage in the back of the book nor has it been mentioned anywhere else to my knowledge. There has been some speculation that Ser Duncan the tall spent some time on Tarth based on some easter eggs in previous books, and ive heard theories that Brienne is a descendent of Ser Duncan as well. However, I find the Targaryen connection interesting. This could mean a lot of things for Brienne and the main story if this is true. Thoughts?

Its an interesting theory, but I don't see that as very likely. I doubt Maekor would marry his daughter to a hedge knight of low birth, despite his close connection to his son. And if you think the marriage occurred while Aegon was king, than why would he then appoint him to the kingsguard?

Wife-y died and in his grief he needed a new purpose?

Could be...but who raised the kiddos when Dunk put on the white cloak?

They could've been raised by egg with his kids, giving Dunk a chance to raise his baby girl without impeding his duties?

Dunk is first mentioned as a KG in 236 AC, during the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion. If he married in the 210s, then all his children, assuming that he had more than one girl, could have long been married by that time.

Considering the circumstances, I doubt that Dunk joined the KG during Maekar's reign. Aerys I would have been a possibility as Dunk might then have expected that neither Maekar nor Aerion may eventually get a shot on the Iron Throne, but it really seems as if he was married before he became a KG. The turning point most likely is Egg's ascension to the Iron Throne as well as the death of Daella or whoever else he may have married.

Dunk is first mentioned as a KG in 236 AC, during the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion. If he married in the 210s, then all his children, assuming that he had more than one girl, could have long been married by that time.

Considering the circumstances, I doubt that Dunk joined the KG during Maekar's reign. Aerys I would have been a possibility as Dunk might then have expected that neither Maekar nor Aerion may eventually get a shot on the Iron Throne, but it really seems as if he was married before he became a KG. The turning point most likely is Egg's ascension to the Iron Throne as well as the death of Daella or whoever else he may have married.

I agree...even though I jest about theoretical connections, the most realistic possibility is that Dunk married Egg's sister, possibly after saving Maekar or impressing him beyond all doubt and convincing him to allow the marriage to Daella. They have a child or children that are full grown or near enough when Aegon takes the throne in 233. Once a slot opens up in the KG, Aegon chooses him. With no wife, a grown child in Tarth (speculation), he joins the KG.

I do like the idea of Wylla just ForestGumping her way through westerosi history.

That is an awesome description. I can see all.

She was at Summerhall as a young serving girl...Sneezing at the most inopportune time, sending an ember across the room into the cache of wild fire.

She started her Wet Nursing at Duskendale...she was leaking a little and needed to quickly change her clothes...she hung her wet top on a bell outside her room in the Dun Fort, muffling it from ringing while she changed clothes.

She was at the Tower of Joy...accidentally tripping Howland Reed who fell onto Arthur Dayne.

Now working at Kings Landing for Lysa Tully, she organizes their belongings, and puts a small vile of liquid she found on the floor near the door back with all the other spices and wines.

Mama always said life was like a song of ice and fire, you never know what it means.

That is an awesome description. I can see all.

She was at Summerhall as a young serving girl...Sneezing at the most inopportune time, sending an ember across the room into the cache of wild fire.

She started her Wet Nursing at Duskendale...she was leaking a little and needed to quickly change her clothes...she hung her wet top on a bell outside her room in the Dun Fort, muffling it from ringing while she changed clothes.

She was at the Tower of Joy...accidentally tripping Howland Reed who fell onto Arthur Dayne.

Now working at Kings Landing for Lysa Tully, she organizes their belongings, and puts a small vile of liquid she found on the floor near the door back with all the other spices and wines.

Mama always said life was like a song of ice and fire, you never know what it means.

Brilliant. Though I'd have had her sneezing at the ToJ in Arthuer's face and the tremendous snotblast she unleashed transforming into a frog thrown by HR through the years just cause he's a dirty frog-eating Crannog.

Now imagine if wylla was secretly immortal? She could've travelled Essos causing the different Long Nights before starting the Doom and heading back to Westeros...

My guess is that Dunk married Egg's sister Daella before he joined the KG. A daughter from that union could be Brienne's grandmother.

The only alternative I can come up with is perhaps Elaene's youngest daughter? Do we know when she married her third husband? It's probably Egg's sister though, you make a compelling argument there.

Archived