Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself

Tom the Merciful

I won't be waiting - I have the second book on preorder. If I am going to be reamed on the shipping and exchange rates, I console myself with the thought that it will be an excellent book AND it will be a jolly good British and proper reaming. ;)

Where did you order it from? I've used The Book Depository a couple of times, because they have free international shipping. The dust jackets haven't been super crisp and clean, but all the books I've ordered through them have been out many months - so I've probably been getting last of their stock.

Unfortunately they (The Book Depository) don't seem to take pre-orders. There are at least three I'd like to buy, but I'm not sure whether it's worth waiting until closer to each release date to order. I tend to forget things until the last minute, so it's nice to know I have everything lined up early. :P

Sakey's is actually a pretty impressive debut crime novel. It's right up your alley if you are a fan of writers like George Pelecanos or Dennis Lehane.

Damn, I really am a fan of that type of stuff as well. I reckon the Wire is about the bestest thing ever.

I console myself with the thought that it will be an excellent book AND it will be a jolly good British and proper reaming. ;)

You BET it'll be an excellent book. And although you don't see as much of it as you did in the 19th century, say, it's still true. There's no reaming like a jolly good proper British reaming.

There's no reaming like a jolly good proper British reaming.

I've been led to understand that, if done correctly, a jolly good proper British reaming can be described as a rogering.

For those of us in the States who want to read Before They Are Hanged in March, Amazon UK is offering the trade paperback for 5.99 pounds, with shipping at 6.98 pounds, for a total of 12.97 pounds, which if I am using the right converter currently comes to $25.50.

Amazon Canada offers the paperback for $15.72 Canadian (currently $13.26 US) but is going to be released on May 1st. I've never used Amazon Canada and was too lazy to register just to see what shipping would be to the US.

The book isn't yet listed on some of the other suggestions in this thread, Clarkesworld or The Book Depository.

I'm willing to pay the $25.50 (a pretty good reaming, if not quite a rogering) to read it in March, but if anyone can figure out how to get the British edition sent to the US for less cash, please let us know. I'll probably wait until early March to order it.

I've been led to understand that, if done correctly, a jolly good proper British reaming can be described as a rogering.

For those of us in the States who want to read Before They Are Hanged in March, Amazon UK is offering the trade paperback for 5.99 pounds, with shipping at 6.98 pounds, for a total of 12.97 pounds, which if I am using the right converter currently comes to $25.50.

Amazon Canada offers the paperback for $15.72 Canadian (currently $13.26 US) but is going to be released on May 1st. I've never used Amazon Canada and was too lazy to register just to see what shipping would be to the US.

The book isn't yet listed on some of the other suggestions in this thread, Clarkesworld or The Book Depository.

I'm willing to pay the $25.50 (a pretty good reaming, if not quite a rogering) to read it in March, but if anyone can figure out how to get the British edition sent to the US for less cash, please let us know. I'll probably wait until early March to order it.

Assuming the price is the same as for The Blade Itself, from The Book Depository the hard cover will cost £13.81, and you will get free shipping for purchasing the hard cover. For a mere £0.84 more you can get a hardcover instead of a trade PB. You just have to remain vigilant, and order as soon as they make it available.

Plus if you saw Brandon Sanderson's blog post about HC vs. PB; I'm sure you'll realize how much Joe will appreciate you purchasing the HC instead :leer:

same here

one hell of a ride

was doubtful at the beginning though

the style seemed ... hmm... simple

oversimple even

not to say bad

and the characters were an awful cliché

a barbarian, puh-leeeze, how many times have i met conan-like characters? on the verge on dying and guess what, he survives

blah

i knew it was a first novel but was expecting better than that

well, maybe my reaction was due to my previous reading being cassandra kresnov (movie like packed action, awesome)

anyway, as soon as i met glokta, it was all good

funny caustic little bastard him

fun that's the word

been a long time a book made me laugh like this

of course, fun isn't the only good thing about this book, just the little "more"

characters, that's what it's about (or did i completely misunderstand?), you come to love them

all in all, excellent really

hell, couldn't stop reading the damned stuff

was reading in the subway

was reading in the bathroom

was reading while cooking

was reading when should be sleeping...

finished the book today at 3am, had a big meeting early this morning... am not sure i made a great impression...

I blame the author

say one thing about him, say he's the enemy of work. and sleep.

he better sends me the sequel

as in now

maybe i'll forgive him then.

Depends whether the third book is sent also i guess

Joe Abercrombie, you reading? you don't want to wake the dragon, no you don't. The Bloody Nine won't be enough to stop me, he's welcome to try. So take the wise course and send me the bloody book

Please?

:P

anyway, all that to say : read it, you'll like it

hmm, ok, maybe it's more "read it, liked it" but i've got to spread the love :)

indeed.

one of

the

most unreadable

posts i have

ever saw at

this board.

w

t

f

mate?

QFT and Beauty *bows to Ro*

I'm a bit confused as to how to deal with a post that is unreadable yet recommends a book that I loved myself. But 'clichè characters'? Joking you must be, it is known.

I can't find a complaint regarding the book(I'll have to admit that I had to google Belgarath though).. awesome characters (which I value more than imaginative plotlines) and a very good storyline. Before They Are Hanged has become the 4th book I have preordered in my life and I can't wait for March.

^^ that post makes my brain hurt :P

See?

My point, exactly !

Told you I'm powerful

Maximus, that is why it must be you !

Hmm, sorry, wrong speech. I meant to say, that is why I must have the book in my hands. My hands on the books. The book.

Anyway, I don't mind paying really. Writers got to earn their living too after all. (Which is not to say I won't be grateful if I get it free. Freebies are always good). What I do mind is the delay between 2 books. (In a series I love I mean. I couldn't care less if, say, TG's next installment was to come in 10 years). Say one thing about me, say I'm impatient. I just can't stand waiting for a book to be published. I hate waiting.

And Before They Are Hanged fall into this category. I. Can't. Wait.

I need it now.

Yeah, it's that good

Joking you must be, it is known.

no i'm quite serious on the contrary

in case you're wondering why i maintain my opinion :

- Logen : barbarian. Mighty warrior. Tired of fighting but still in the middle of battles. The only original thing about him is at the very end . It's worth it though

SPOILER: TBI
(him being schizo à la nikki/jessica from heroes. Awesome !)

- Bayaz : Powerful old wizard full of jokes, rings a bell? as Maltaran said, he could be Belgarath under another name

- the looser apprentice (don't remember his name). Can't do anything but I bet you he'll save the day

- Jezal : cocky young "knight" from an old family. Rich, smart, witty, handsome and talented. And overconfident of course. Do you wanna bet he'll change for the better though? (I'm refraining myself so as not to compare him with jaime or i'll be disappointed for sure)

- Jerro : ex slave, full of hate for the entire world. Has only vengeance in her mind. Another one from Eddings work. Taiba if you need a name.

- Glokta : cynical intellectual. The more original of the cast though

of course, you can't reduce these characters to that. There is so much more ! And then there is Glokta. I'm a fan :)

As far as I'm concerned, that's what makes this book a tour de force : you begin with bad clichés and you still end up loving these characters. Or rather, you start with bad clichés and the author turns these clichés upside down somehow so that you care about the characters at the end.

Now that's impressive

Plus if you saw Brandon Sanderson's blog post about HC vs. PB; I'm sure you'll realize how much Joe will appreciate you purchasing the HC instead :leer:

Oh, yes indeed, hardcover is the way to go. Or you could always buy one of each? Or perhaps three hardcovers? One to read. One to seal in plastic against any possible damage. One to put in a bank vault in case the plastic is compromised.

you begin with bad clichés and you still end up loving these characters. Or rather, you start with bad clichés and the author turns these clichés upside down somehow so that you care about the characters at the end.

I'faith, tis a wise fool indeed.

You got the picture,

My friend.

It's all about the cliches.

The characters are just what you expect,

But they're not.

It's obvious what's going to happen,

Only it doesn't.

And the further you go the

Less predictable it

Becomes

Or that's the hope, at least.

As for the rest of you guys, many thanks for the encouragement. I hope you enjoy the next one even more.

I think you will . . .

Oh, yes indeed, hardcover is the way to go. Or you could always buy one of each? Or perhaps three hardcovers? One to read. One to seal in plastic against any possible damage. One to put in a bank vault in case the plastic is compromised.

lol

bought one book in hardcover out of ... 1. Not bad, eh? 100%, that's pretty impressive, i say

you can thank people of this forum. Bought the book because so many people put it on their 2006 best reads list

oh and i'ts thanks to pat also. Indirectly. Wouldn't have bought the book if I had won the contest :P

I'faith, tis a wise fool indeed.

ohhh I looooove compliments, please go on !

You got the picture,

My friend.

just love being right

*smiles smugly*

It's all about the cliches.

The characters are just what you expect,

But they're not.

It's obvious what's going to happen,

Only it doesn't.

And the further you go the

Less predictable it

Becomes

Or that's the hope, at least.

As for the rest of you guys, many thanks for the encouragement. I hope you enjoy the next one even more.

I think you will . . .

well, march is a long time from now, but I'll read it, that's a sure thing

unless you tell me glokta doesn't appear in the book (à la mat in winter's heart)

• 2 weeks later...

Since so many people are excited about Before They Are Hanged, I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm about 100 pages into it and it's pretty damn good so far! :thumbsup:

I'll keep you posted!

Patrick

Since so many people are excited about Before They Are Hanged, I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm about 100 pages into it and it's pretty damn good so far! :thumbsup:

I'll keep you posted!

Patrick

I'm jealous now. I'm happy for you, but the only reason I have not called you a wanker is that you did not use this smiley: :smug:

Archived