Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself

Tom the Merciful

Well, speaking of filling Joe's wallet, I think you can all pre-order Before They Are Hanged.

I recently went to preorder Hanged and the mass market paperback of Blade, which I haven't read yet either. Then I saw that Amazon UK wanted a goddamned motherflipping $20 just in shipping and handling. Eat sh*t and die, British Pound. Guess I'll be waiting for the US or Canadian releases, whenever they are.

Bah, clearly another victim of the horrible reviewer-bribing scandal that has swept across SF&F this past year. For shame! For shame! Oh well, if you can't beat them, join them. My reviewing rates are as follows:

Initial scene-setting blurb featuring the phrase nearly as good as Terry Goodkind!: free

Unashamed use of the word scintillating: £1 per occurrence

Deployment of the phrase A ferocious action-adventure that leaves the reader demanding more!: £1.50 per occurrence

Comparison of author to Frank Herbert: £10

Comparison of author to Brian Herbert: 15p

:D

And I pre-ordered the hardcover. Do you get any extras for that?

Heyy. Stop giving the authors money. It is a well known fact that once they have amassed enough money, they will create a huge pile and just lay on it, preventing any worthwhile future books. ;)

Myself ? I have off course pro-ordered the hardcover. :drool:

Just finished Before They Are Hanged. If you enjoyed Abercrombie's debut, I daresay you'll love this one.

It's got everything which made The Blade Itself a good read, but the sequel is also a marked improvement in every aspect. A satisfying read, to say the least!

Check the blog for the full review! ;)

Patrick

Entertaining interview, my only quibble being that Tolkien was misspelled more than once. Ariel probably did that deliberately!

BTW: Someone bought that unproofed copy of Before They Are Hanged. When I finally went to buy it, it had gone. Well, at least the money for a book that shouldn't have been on sale in the first place went to charity.

Mine did too, but I put my fingers in my ears and refused to listen. ;)

Are you going then? I've been prevaricating on it but if there's a good turn-out I may pop along.

Yep! And I promise I won't look like my current avatar. David Walliams is significantly taller than I am, for a start.

Awesome. I'm going to see if I can swap my days off around. Usually it's hard to get Saturdays off, but I think they'll go for it this week (my supervisor's off and we're moving the whole department around over the course of the week, so they may prefer to have me in on Thursday when the move is on full-swing and let me have the Sat off).

Archived