Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself

Tom the Merciful

I've just finished reading this book and I really enjoyed it. I loved the character of Glokta, and even found myself like Jezal when I didn't think I would. There are quite a few archtypes around, such as the warlike northern barbarians and old wizards, but the main core of characters are very different, with their own internal conflicts and such that kept me interested.

Great news that I don't have to wait for the next book, too.

One question, though. Why don't the Eaters control the whole world? Considering that normal soldiers seem unable to so much as hit them, they shouldn't have much competition if they wanted to conquer the world.

I don't get it. Is it anti-American and anti-pinko? Or anti-American but pro-pinko? And does 'pinko' mean that Britain is Communist, gay or having something going on with its toes? Or all three?

:huh:

Anyway, started reading this today. Good opening, strong characters, making me want to read more. Job done, Joe. Next time there's a London meet-up we'll have to invite you along to sign our books in return for beer. :cheers:

Good opening, strong characters, making me want to read more. Job done, Joe. Next time there's a London meet-up we'll have to invite you along to sign our books in return for beer. :cheers:

Really glad you like the book, man, and I hope the enjoyment continues. Now that I've got a baby I'm not allowed to actually have fun, unfortunately. I daresay I can still sign a book or two, though . . .

One question, though. Why don't the Eaters control the whole world?

An Eater is more than human, sure, but they're clearly not invincible. And they've got other priorities than ruling the world . . .

I finished it a few hours ago, and I really enjoyed it. Glokta was a great character, and I loved his internal monologue. Severard was a good secondary character who I hope we get to see more of in the future books. Logen's 'Han Solo'-esque humor was great ("I surrender" LOL).

SPOILER: Logen
his transformation into the 'Bloody-Nine' was a little unexpected - kind of 'Hulk SMASH', but looking back on his character it really doesn't fit with what we know of him as The Bloody-Nine
I'm still not a big fan of Jezal - he reminds me of Sansa, of course by the end of the series I'm sure he'll end up being one of my favorites (or completely despised).

Lots of good battle/fight scenes. Always appreciated in a fantasy novel. And plenty of political intrigue/pending war.

SPOILER: Glokta
Glokta in charge of Dagoska should be very interesting.

I eagerly await book two.

I liked Glotka the most too, along with his two Practicals. Their scenes almost had this weird buddy movie vibe to them - if there was a buddy movie about deformed torturers. Logen's little band that got left behind, the Dogman and the rest, I'd really like to see more of them. And Logen himself - you got to appreciate a hero who spends most of the book getting the crap kicked out of him.

Quick question for Joe if he's around - what do the Shanka look like?

Quick question for Joe if he's around - what do the Shanka look like?
There are some more expicit descriptions of them in the next book. In the meantime, though, I hope you don't mind if I let you guys' over-active imaginations fill in the blanks. As a reader, I've always preferred it that way . . .

A bit like this, I believe.
Oh dear me, nothing like as sub-human as that!

3 Word Review.

The Bloody Nine...

Thats all the book needs.

Fuckin Flatheads are a cross between Goblins from LotR:FotR, thoose wierd little aliens from Galaxy Quest(the ones on the mining planet), a United States Marine and a Pit Bull Terrier.

They have the intelligence of the smartest of thoose 4 things, ie the Pit Bull Terrier...

Fuckin Flatheads are a cross between Goblins from LotR:FotR, thoose wierd little aliens from Galaxy Quest(the ones on the mining planet), a United States Marine and a Pit Bull Terrier.
See what I'm saying? How could I possibly have come up with something as good as that?

I haven''t even finished the book yet, but I imagine the Flatheads as being some kind of pre-Homo Sapiens hominids (like the Neanderthals or Homo Erectus).
Tee hee. You said Erectus.

I've just put this one down after racing through it.

On the shallow end - Joe, you made me miss some fine Aussie cricket to finish this one. :D

On the book itself, I liked the style, which reminded me at times of KJ Parker in the Fencer trilogy. Glokta is indeed a character to appreciate. I want to know more about all of them and such is a sign of a top read. The magic concept is tantalising and no doubt will be explored more in the books to come.

In a year of debuts that have revitalised the genre, this one stands out for me.

Cheers,

Stubby

Wow. Given the fuss over Locke Lamora, I was expecting Blade to be an also-ran book, nearly but not quite as good. Instead it stands toe-to-toe with Lamora. At the moment I'm finding it difficult to say which is the better book (and the only reason I'm comparing them is that they were pushed hard by the same publisher within weeks of being released at the same time as one another, so it's a natural comparison). I'll call it a draw of mutual excellence.

Blade is more 'traditional' (in that it has more of the tropes of the epic fantasy than Lamora), but it also has a much bigger cast of characters, all drawn very well.

SPOILER: TBI
Luthar is a bit of a tool and it'll be interesting to see how he develops in future books. Was it my imagination that his severe insufferability increased dramatically after Bayaz helped him win the Contest, or was it just muted for a while because of his romance with West's sister? Hmmm. I also liked the backstory revelations. Already I want to know more about the war where West fought and Glokta was wounded, and how Logen came to command his band.

I did feel at times the lack of a map (and yeah, I know the reasons for and against them). I couldn't work out if Angland and the Northlands are a totally seperate landmass north of the Circle Sea, away from Midderland and the bulk of the Union (but if they are presumably Beothod is not a major threat then), or if there is land connecting them. But if there is land why does the Union Army sail? Is it simply for speed and convenience? And whilst the book tells us what is north of the Union (Angland and the Northlands); what is to the west (the Old Empire) and what is to the south (Gurkhal), the east is never mentioned.

But these are less than quibbles. I enjoyed this book muchly. It kicked serious arse.

Archived