Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself

Tom the Merciful

Guest Ser Jaime

Thanks for the information about the Canadian mass-market paperback, Brahm.

I was just about to post that there are no mass-market editions of The Blade Itself available in Canada yet (I should know, I've been looking for the past few months). If there was a mass-market paperback to be found anywhere on store shelves, I would have snatched it up by now.

October 9th, then. Sounds good.

P.S. -- the Last Argument of Kings cover kicks ass!

I have finally read "The Blade Itself" and I have to say that I was very pleased. Sure, the whole "assemble an unlikely company of heroes" plot line was cliché, but I really liked the execution. I also enjoy the advantage of having never read Eddings beyond a single book about Sparhawk and some bint of a queen, so the inscrutable and irascible Mage was quite OK with me ;). Like so many others, I am a Glokta fan, however much it may disturb me. Apparently, I can really forgive anything if a character is witty, sarcastic, suffering and clever :stunned: . Also liked Logen, he seemed a very hm... realistic take on a relatively decent medieval warrior. Hope that the author keeps tight reigns on the "heart of gold" though, or he'd be ruined. Anyway, for some reason the female characters and Jezal fell flat for me. They seemed much more clichéd and contrived than the others and the romance was unconvincing.

It is a pity that we appear to be in for yet another "save the world" plot, but so far I am confident that the writer can pull it off in an interesting manner.

So, anybody up for a detailed discussion thread or did most of you early adopters already move on?

I thought the jezal love stuff was fine, young love is oh so obsessive at times.

I also liked jezal, flawed as he was, trying to grow against his crippling hierarchical upbringing.

glokta asking himself why he does the things he does and nine fingers rejoicing he was alive every time he survived a battle added a sense of realism.

the old wizard was a bit like belgarath, but he wasn't a bad character for the first seven or so books now was he.

ferro is one crazy bad ass bish but some of us have a thing for the arya style of woman.

overall I found the balance between the quest and political intrigue quite good and the world building was less confusing than lynche's world.

Sometimes I miss the maps old school fantasy books used to have.

I'm surprised I was able to get it earlier in germany than in the US, I guess europe is occasionally good for something.

I hope Joe doesn't disappear from the boards once he becomes all big and famous, like Scott Lynch did.
Scott could be having a personal life or something like that. :) Real life can get in the way of the internet at times.

Scott could be having a personal life or something like that. :) Real life can get in the way of the internet at times.

Yeah, it's not like Joe has a new baby at home or anything :P (if you haven't read the whole thread I think that's somewhere around page 7-9).

How dare you imply that I have no personal life?

Yeah, but having a new baby around tends to mean you're in more and awake more, both of which tend to increase the amount of time spent on the Internet talking bollocks, at least in my experience. :)

How dare you imply that I talk bollocks?

Ah , kiddiewinks , I go away for a weekend and everyone get's all witty .

Say one thing about the M00bs , say he writes a good and nippylicious passage exploring the impact of years spent both sides of the knife on a person's nightime saucy head wanderings .

It also took a while to get the unfortunate Herr Flick from 'Allo 'Allo/Glokta association out of my mind .

Hmmm :ack::unsure:

Archived