Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself

Tom the Merciful

Just finished The Blade Itself and loved it. Funniest part for me was when the outlaws formulated the plan that included Black Dow as one of the flank attackers, and while Dogman's wondering what the signal is Black Dow is charging up by himself :lol: I groaned when I found the first chapter with five barbarians wandering around and killing, but they turned out to be some of the best.

I'll echo everybody else and say that Glokta was my favourite character. Interesting narration having the inner monologue in italics for only one of the characters, but it definitely worked.

I also really liked the way that each POV character was first described in another one's chapter; it made for some very interesting contrasts between how they see themselves and how others see them.

Think I'll wait until the last book is out before I read the second though. I've seen the girl naked, and I like her, but I want to guarantee an orgasm before I engage in any more foreplay. (Sorry for the worst metaphor ever.)

Think I'll wait until the last book is out before I read the second though. I've seen the girl naked, and I like her, but I want to guarantee an orgasm before I engage in any more foreplay. (Sorry for the worst metaphor ever.)

Blimey... :stunned:

I've read the second book and am now waiting for the third. A similar metaphor does spring to mind now...

Rimmer - Bearing in mind what you just said, will you be using this smiley once you've finished book 3? ---> :smoking:

I finished this book last night. I loved it.

I had to read it fairy slowly over about two weeks because electrical engineering (seriously) got in the way.

The first chapter when Logen is running from the Shanka sucked me in immediately. I think my favorite part was the long fight scene at the end with Ferro and Logen fighting off the Practicals. When I realized that Logen was about to once again become the "Bloody Nine" and go into a berserker frenzy I thought, 'ohhh, shit!' and there was a big smile plastered across my face.

I've never been a huge fantasy reader. When I started ASOIAF it was only the second fantasy series I had read, Tolkein being the first. That tends to make me skeptical because George has set the bar so high... but both Lynch's series and The Blade Itself have delivered in my book.

Why have just one when you multiple? Seriously, buy it now. :thumbsup:

Yes, SOLDERING. Do you have some problem with electrical engineering? Do you have some problem with the direction in which I want to take my series? So there'll be more stuff about circuit boards in this third book than there were in the other two, so what? To me, that's what's missing from epic fantasy.

Electrics.

Glokta with a soldering iron = badass pain for whoever's on the receiving end.

(this has to be the best comment ever in this thread. :lmao:)

Thanks, Rimmer. Now I have the mental image of Joe's books = orgasms.

Now I have the mental image of Joe's books = orgasms.

Then prepare yourselves for the possibility of one of those massive ones that actually even hurt just a bit, because over the next three months I shall be giving away, yes GIVING AWAY, three bound proofs of the final thrilling installment of the First Law trilogy, Last Argument of Kings, days, weeks, and even months prior to its publication in March '08.

Furthermore these proofs shall be SIGNED, DATED, and LINED with an inscription of YOUR choice, and delivered to your front door courtesy of my dark masters at Gollancz.

Yes, three lucky winners will no longer need to theorise about what will happen at the end of this series, because you will KNOW.

BEFORE ANYONE ELSE.

You will find details of how to enter this once-in-a-lifetime competition here, on me blog.

I am TOO GOOD TO YOU.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to reading The Blade Itself - I really enjoyed it. Easily on par with any of the other lauded releases of the past couple years, and probably better in my opinion (full review at the blog). Now I just have to find the time to slog through this post and all the discussion about the book.

Oh, and Joe and I are cooking up a 5 questions interview, so stay tuned.

Archived