Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself

Tom the Merciful

• 4 weeks later...
Finished it over the weekend - I had intended to wait for the US release but it was too far away. Amazon.ca, FTW.

Amazon.ca? Oh sure, take the easy way out. :rolleyes:

We flew to the UK to pick up a copy. :P

(No really, we bought it in Gatwick Airport on the way home yesterday.)

No way, man! I thought they only sold proper books at the airport?

Nope. We were down to our last pounds, and we hadn't gotten a chance to make it to a bookstore after meeting you on that fateful drunken Thursday (sorry I wasn't much of a conversationalist -- was totally knackered by the flight). And 'lo! There it was in its glory: The Blade Itself. It was the only decent book in the entire shop, I am quite certain. :D

• 1 month later...

I finished The Blade Itself last night. I really think this book kicks ass! Especially the characters, they carry everything along so well! I can't afford Before They Hanged right now, but can't wait to find out the next part of this adventure!

Am reading it this very moment and utterly enjoying it...yay for the advantages of ZERO shipping-costs of amazon.de, I can live in Germany and don't have to pay a cent for shipping and it only took 3 days instead of the 6 to 9 they'd told me :D

Love the cover-art btw :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd mention that Gollancz seems to have made a deal with Joe for a new book after the First Law trilogy, to come out in April 2009 and titled "Best served cold", apparantly a tale of revenge.

Joe, if you're here next time maybe you could eloborate a bit on this book, unless you're still in the earliest stages of writing/thinking about it of course?

There's a synopsis already:

Mercenaries are a wonderful thing: they fight as you tell them, whom you tell them, and when you tell them, for nothing more precious or complicated than money. And Monzcarro Mercatto, and her brother (and lover) Benna Mercatto, are the two most successful, most popular, and most wealthy mercenaries in Styria...but wealthy, popular mercenaries are not such a good thing. In fact they're a downright dangerous thing. Which is why Grand Duke Orso of Styria arranges to have them dealt with. Permanently. With hindsight, he may come to consider this a tactical error. Through sheer good luck - which her brother doesn't share - Monzcarro survives the long and fatal drop Orso arranged for her, and staggers away from her encounter with a ruined right hand, an opium addiction ...and a plan to come back with a fortune, plently of bladed weapons, and a single-minded determination to kill the seven men in the room when her brother was murdered. Preferably in as gruesome a manner as she can

Best Served Cold: a bloody tale of revenge against an evil restaurant-owner after the hero is served gazpacho soup...warm :stunned:

Does this involve misquoting Space Corp Directives at any point?

Just thought I'd mention that Gollancz seems to have made a deal with Joe for a new book after the First Law trilogy, to come out in April 2009 and titled "Best served cold", apparantly a tale of revenge.

It's true, it's true, it's all true. There's a deal with Gollancz for two stand-alone books set in the same world as The First Law of which Best Served Cold will be the first. I guess you could call it a fantasy thriller, low on magic, high on blood. It's set in Styria, and will feature a few new characters, and some peripheral characters from the previous books in more central roles.

It's about poison, treachery, money, violence, and, of course, revenge.

What's not to like?

Best Served Cold: a bloody tale of revenge against an evil restaurant-owner after the hero is served gazpacho soup...warm :stunned:

An evil restaurant owner may or may not be involved.

Archived