NFL Week 11.5: 48 Hours Mystery, Who Really Killed Seattle's Dynasty?

Jace, Extat

Yeah, right now, if there is a team to beat in the AFC, its the Pats; they have every reason to be happy: QB playing about as well as anyone out there; resurgent running game, suddenly fierce O-Line, excellent DBs, solid LBs, great coaching. Since that disaster to the Chiefs, Pats look like this:

7-0

Outscored opponents 243-128, and averaging ~35 points a game.

Only one of their games- v. Jets - was decided by less than 15 points

Brady's line: ~1700 yards, 20TD v 3 INTs

What I think is so notable about the Patriots, no surprise, is the coaching and how we just take it for granted that shit gets fixed. I mean I would've sworn they were dead in the water after that Chiefs game. Either age had finally caught up with Brady or the O-line was irrevocably broken with Logan Mankins or both. And now several weeks later after one of the great offensive explosions in the league and a game where they absolutely road-graded a playoff team with Madden Name Generator RB X, and controlled both lines of scrimmage and we once again look silly for ever doubting Belichick and the things he does.

This doesn't happen on other teams. The Redskins O-line is broken and I have zero belief it's going to get any better the rest of the way. They're a terrible team so you expect that but most teams are never able to correct their weaknesses. They're bad at one (or several) things and they stay that way the whole year. However when the Patriots get blown out and humiliated that's generally just a prelude to going on a long run. I still remember that dominant '03 team which started out its season with a 31-0 shellacking to former-Patriots Bledsoe and Milloy. Everyone was questioning all the guys the Patriots kept vs. the ones they let go. Of course amidst all the turmoil, Belichick responded by winning 17 of his next 18 games. Or the '07 team reeling from the Spygate controversy that then won the next 18 games in a row. Or the '08 team that looked hopeless during its first few games with Matt Cassel (AKA Rusher McFumbles) and somehow scrapped together an 11-5 season with a QB who hadn't played since High School. It's nuts. It just keeps happening. This is a team that wins Superbowls with WRs playing DBs.

And yeah Brady is fantastic and a big part of all of this resiliency. He's one of the best QBs ever and we can debate where he ranks. But, in my mind, Belichick stands alone at this point as a coach. The difference between him and your average John Fox type coach it's like, it can't even be quantified.

The darkness within compels me to talk about the Redskins game I had the misfortune of watching yesterday.

It was really bad. RG3 was bad. The O line was bad. The pass rush was bad. The kicking game was bad. The coaching was bad. I don't know that any element of the team was really consistently good, Afred Morris was the only player who really made a positive impact. If I were going to pick a Least Valuable Player, I would actually give it to Kai Forbath, who missed 46 and a 50 yard field goals. Both of those misses were BRUTAL in terms of momentum, and after the second one, the whole team just fell apart. Apparently fans were calling for Colt McCoy, and I cannot dismiss them for impatient idiots like I do most weeks. This was the first game that, for me, really called into question whether Griffin can develop into a pro quarterback. Always before the question was whether he could get healthy and stay that way. But he is just making some mistakes that he really shouldn't be making anymore. This is his third year in the league, and he is getting towards 30 starts now, it is getting towards time to really demonstrate improvement.

But one thing that doesn't need improvement? Arm strength. My god, twice Griffin threw the ball with just a quick flick of the arm, and both times he overthrew Desean Jackson fifty yards down the field. I've never seen anybody throw so far without trying, not Vick or Stafford or anybody.

But he is just making some mistakes that he really shouldn't be making anymore. This is his third year in the league, and he is getting towards 30 starts now, it is getting towards time to really demonstrate improvement.

I remember even before Griffin was drafted, it struck me that here was a guy who always said precisely the right thing. Was an incredibly rare attribute for a 22 year old. But since confronted with adversity he too often displays this odd mix of bravado and passive aggressiveness. Sally Jenkins had a column a couple months back focused on whether RG3 realizes he still needs to improve considering that bravado and seeing the results on the field, I'm now wondering it too. Attitude reflects actions and too often I see a guy making vague statements about leadership or needing help from his teammates when really all she should be saying is that he needs to go back to the drawing board and fix what he can control (i.e.: the mistakes he's making, not maximizing his play to put points on the board). Yeah the O-line is terrible, anyone can see that. He's still responsible playing the hand he was dealt as best he possibly can and he flat hasn't.

Always said that I thought it was only injuries that could derail his career. Now i'm not so sure attitude won't be equally responsible unless he gets that fixed stat.

Even moreso, the Skins lost by 20 at home off a bye to a 1-8 team that by a few measures has played the worst of any team since the 2009 1-15 Rams. The Giants lost because Eli Manning threw 5 picks and couldn't get in the end zone with 4 attempts from the 4 yard line (fittingly 3 failed fades and a pick). And the Eagles got blown out of the building in all phases and had this play as the cherry on top.

Only way this weekend could be better for Cowboys fans is if Brandon Weeden announced his retirement.

Even moreso, the Skins lost by 20 at home off a bye to a 1-8 team that by a few measures has played the worst of any team since the 2009 1-15 Rams. The Giants lost because Eli Manning threw 5 picks and couldn't get in the end zone with 4 attempts from the 4 yard line (fittingly 3 failed fades and a pick). And the Eagles got blown out of the building in all phases and had this play as the cherry on top.

Only way this weekend could be better for Cowboys fans is if Brandon Weeden announced his retirement.

My goodness, i wish.

Did I just hear TK on PTI right... 'Stafford is 0-15 on the road playing above .500 teams'?

If so... :eek:

Hey, Matt Stafford was pretty explicit negotiating his contract: $20m/year and he'll play well at home. $40m/year to play well at home and road.

Lions made their choice.

Hey, Matt Stafford was pretty explicit negotiating his contract: $20m/year and he'll play well at home. $40m/year to play well at home and road.

Lions made their choice.

Indeed they did. And this is all with one of the best receivers in the game, as well.

As for this James Harrison bit they just did on ESPN -- Asking him to come back shows just how bad our defense is. Jarvis Jones (2013 1st rd pick) is so far an extreme disappointment, and Harrison filling in for him is a testament to how bad our recent early draft picks have been. They're making him out to be some hero right now, and he had one good game against the Ravens -- that's it. And I absolutely refuse to call him "D-Bo".

Wow, Tennessee takes a lead...

I didn't see you guys mention Jay Gruden blasting RGIII in a press conference, so I'll drop a link.

Surprising to see a coach rip into a player like that, but RG3 did make a dumbass comment.

And yeah Tennessee is looking good tonight, or Pittsburgh is looking like crap. Not sure which one.

Surprising to see a coach rip into a player like that, but RG3 did make a dumbass comment.

I don't have a problem with what Gruden said. He's right.

I was busy at work today and then took a nap as soon as I got home so I didn't see all of this until late today, but I was surprised to see former coaches like Billick and Mariucci (both decent analysts I think) saying they thought Gruden went too far. I thought it was the right move considering Griffin's douchey attitude lately. I think he made an absolute ass of himself after the game yesterday, and Gruden has every right to call him out on his poor play and throwing his teammates under the bus.

I admit that I was never too impressed with ZM when he was at LSU, but he's slinging it out there tonight. Looks easily like a more natural NFL QB than Locker to me.

Doesn't look half bad out there. I'm curious about whether it's the shitty Pitt defense, but he's stepping up in the pocket and getting the ball delivered quickly to guys that are open.

ETA: Grantland said it best on the Patriots running all over the Colts the last two games: "Against the Colts, Bill Belichick has become that asshole who’s found one unstoppable Mortal Kombat move and refuses to do anything else."

Archived