[TWOIAF] Six Dragons and the North

Hardstone

From what we know it is up to the dragon whether or not it will accept whoever presents themselves to it.

When I say no one is given a dragon I mean that the king can not give a particular dragon to a particular person.

Yes the king may give permission for a person to try out for the dragon but unless the dragon holds fire the king's wish is worthless.

For what we know it is the dragon who chooses not anyone else.

How many Targaryen princes and princesses have been killed or seriously injured trying to tame a previously owned dragon (who actually is free)? Joffrey was thrown off be Syrax, but have Balerion, Vaharar or Dreamfyre killed Targaryen tamers?

How many Targaryen princes and princesses have been killed or seriously injured trying to tame a previously owned dragon (who actually is free)? Joffrey was thrown off be Syrax, but have Balerion, Vaharar or Dreamfyre killed Targaryen tamers?

We don't know.

Joffrey/Syrax doesn't count, as Syrax already had a rider at that time. But The Princess and the Queen tells us that there had always been a danger for a son of House Targaryen, claiming a dragon. That would suggest that there have been Targaryens who got hurt before, and possibly even killed.

I thought that Dany had dreams about Dragon, and a special connection to Drogon, even before he hatched? Which then might have come from the fact that she held Drogon's egg first (out of all the nightly sessions of egg-holding).. or simply the most often?

But perhaps putting eggs in the cradle is simply so the Targaryen children won't fight amongst each other for the hatchling when only one egg every so many years hatches or something :p

She didn't breastfed Drogon, btw. Viserion is close to her, even though she isn't his rider. I think, in general, Dany's situation is singular even among dragonlord loves.

As Rhaenys said above, we are told in tRP that it is a risk even for Targaryens to approach an adult dragon.

And if we accept that Alyn Velayron was Corlys's son (or even his grandson) we have some one who was goodly part Targaryen and he suffered where his brother did not.

But it is strange we have not heard of an "Aegon" the Dragonburned or some such who was at least one who took the gamble and lost.

And we see a good few Targaryens (& their cousins) who have not hatched their own dragons but bonded with adult dragons tho mostly it seems ones who were already domesticated. Somewhat similar to skinchanging, once a beast has been "warged" it is easier for someone else to slip its skin.

Maybe in Fire and Blood we will meet one such prince who was rejected by a dragon.

She didn't breastfed Drogon, btw. Viserion is close to her, even though she isn't his rider. I think, in general, Dany's situation is singular even among dragonlord loves.

Interesting point. Drogon is presented as her equal in the birthing scene.

I wonder if that will have any implications going forward - if Dany loses Viserion and/or Rhaegal to someone else/an enemy, will her role as their "mother" help win them back?

But yeah, Dany's situation is probably unparalleled. She brought dragons back to life from stone, just as she is doing with the Targaryen dynasty.

We don't know.

Joffrey/Syrax doesn't count, as Syrax already had a rider at that time. But The Princess and the Queen tells us that there had always been a danger for a son of House Targaryen, claiming a dragon. That would suggest that there have been Targaryens who got hurt before, and possibly even killed.

Yeah, that makes sense. I kind of imagine that the dragon taming process is like the dragon accepting you as the dominant dragon, which would explain the importance of blood imprinting/Valyrian blood. I doubt anyone died trying to tame a hatchling, though - which is, of course, why Dany's had to go feral...

Interesting point. Drogon is presented as her equal in the birthing scene.

I wonder if that will have any implications going forward - if Dany loses Viserion and/or Rhaegal to someone else/an enemy, will her role as their "mother" help win them back?

But yeah, Dany's situation is probably unparalleled. She brought dragons back to life from stone, just as she is doing with the Targaryen dynasty.

Because Rhaegal and Viserion were hatched simultaneously with Drogon, they must have some sort of lasting bond with Dany, even if the bond with Drogon is the closest. One person hatching three dragons probably hasn't been done since before the Doom.

Archived