R+L =J v. 115

BearQueen87

This is a different case. Tyrion believed his marriage to be invalid, since the vows were made in bad faith and he had been 'tricked'. Tywin wanted it that way. He kept it quiet, and few knew Tyrion had ever been married in any way. It's a case of willful misinformation, not of legal polygamy.

What you are saying is that Tywin is willfully breaking the (imagined) law against polygamy by having Tyrion marry Sansa?

I'd rather question the validity of his marriage of Sansa that has not been consumed.

It doesn't invalidate the marriage, but the marriage can be annulled because it was not consummated.

Nah. Blue roses = X+L, via kidnapping. That's the Song of the Winter Rose.

Are you saying you also don't believe that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna? (whether you want to put quotation marks around kidnapped is up to you...)

ETA: and if this is what you believe, then I'd really like to hear your theory now. I know you said that you don't need to prove anything in order to negate RLJ, but I would like to read what you think is going on outside of "gotcha!" by GRRM

Nah. Blue roses = X+L, via kidnapping. That's the Song of the Winter Rose.

Yes, they would very obviously mean someone + Lyanna and not the man who actually was known in all of Westeros for giving Lyanna a crown of blue roses.

Where did GRRM set this precedent of three days?

It was in Rogues, one of the births was accompanied by child bed fever, and she succumbed in three days. Real world that is a short period, as the standard deviation is 5-10 days. The standard deviation should contain 95% of all cases, some may be shorter and some may be longer.

ETA: The standard deviation is based upon all recorded incidents, but modern medicine has had an effect on it. It would not be incredible to assume 3-7 days in medieval times.

Colors do show, just not different fonts. Bold and underline show up on Tapatalk as well.

The reason that I asked, I was trying to establish a standard of blue Times Roman for quotes. At least the blue will stand out for Tapatalk users.

Are you saying you also don't believe that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna? (whether you want to put quotation marks around kidnapped is up to you...)

ETA: and if this is what you believe, then I'd really like to hear your theory now. I know you said that you don't need to prove anything in order to negate RLJ, but I would like to read what you think is going on outside of "gotcha!" by GRRM

I think it's highly likely that the majority of in-story characters / people would conclude that Jon is Rhaegar's son, if and when it becomes known that Jon's mother was Lyanna. In order to set that up effectively, Martin has to position his readers in such a way that we will sympathize with that view - particularly if that mythology is going to affect Jon's storyline in a significant way.

At the same time, it appears to me that Martin is holding back the facts of Lyanna's story - carefully, painstakingly, refusing to reveal the truth. It is a glaringly obvious narrative hole, that is at least as remarkable for its failure to confirm, as for its failure to contradict, the theories we write to fill it in.

I think it's highly likely that the majority of in-story characters / people would conclude that Jon is Rhaegar's son, if and when it becomes known that Jon's mother was Lyanna. In order to set that up effectively, Martin has to position his readers in such a way that we will sympathize with that view - particularly if that mythology is going to affect Jon's storyline in a significant way.

At the same time, it appears to me that Martin is holding back the facts of Lyanna's story - carefully, painstakingly, refusing to reveal the truth. It is a glaringly obvious narrative hole, that is at least as remarkable for its failure to confirm, as for its failure to contradict, the theories we write to fill it in.

I see nothing remarkable about it. Martin holds back the details because he doesn't want to give too much away before he is ready. He's already said that he intends on a Book 6 reveal, so it would make no sense to give out anything too obvious before then.

It was in Rogues, one of the births was accompanied by child bed fever, and she succumbed in three days. Real world that is a short period, as the standard deviation is 5-10 days. The standard deviation should contain 95% of all cases, some may be shorter and some may be longer.

ETA: The standard deviation is based upon all recorded incidents, but modern medicine has had an effect on it. It would not be incredible to assume 3-7 days in medieval times.

Ah, I see. Thanks.. :)

For some reason comic sans isn't showing up on Tapatalk, which is how I visit this forum. [emoji16]

Different fonts don't show on simply the mobile site either.. :(

I love your posts, and you are generally on the mark.

No offense, but if you're going to correct me, just do it. You don't need to blow smoke up my ass beforehand. I generally don't care what people on here think of me, and you're no exception.

As to the point, I'm aware of the two week measurement that some people use. However, given that human gestation is closer to 40 weeks than 36, I feel fairly comfortable extending the window of Jon's birth further out than two weeks after the Sack. I'd rather use too broad a window than too narrow. You may disagree; I don't particularly care.

Every time GRRM has ever written something that is below face value, it's resolved fairly quickly. We're 5 books in, Jon Snow is dead, and yet the books still tell us he's Ned's bastard. It's highly unlike him that he'd string you along for so long

This is essentially, in all likelihood, the single biggest mystery of the entire series. Do you get mad at mystery novelists when they don't tell you who the killer is two chapters in? I hope not. So why do you expect GRRM to solve this mystery that early on in the story?

Archived