A New Look At Guessing Games: Biggest Badass in Asoiaf

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

She's not a master assassin and she's not 9. She's an 11-year old assassin in training.

When she was 9, she was a child running through the Riverlands, constantly escaping and getting captured and escaping again, living through and witnessing all sort of horrors and surviving.

She was #1 on my list. Not because she is a great warrior (she is not a warrior), not because she is great with a sword (she's not, she just had a few months of training), not because she's a superhero who kicks ass all on her own (she's not - she's a skinny tiny child and would have been dead long time ago if not for the help from Syrio, Yoren, Jaqen and Sandor, among others, and she's constantly being caught by someone and escaping throughout ACOK and ASOS).

She was #1 on my list because she's a tiny skinny traumatized child with little physical strength and nothing but a few months of training in using a sword, who's nevertheless incredibly brave, determined, resourceful, defiant, rebellious, proactive, a survivor and has major attitude.

PREACH!!!

Then she's an 11 year old assassin in training, still she was killing much stronger men at 9 which didn't sit right with me. Also constantly getting captured wasn't that badass.

Yeah, she was killing much stronger men....but using trickery (like the guard at Harrenhall) or stabbing them while occupied by the Hound (like the Tickler) or by poisoning a coin (like the insurance man). None of that is unrealistic, there are actual child soldiers in RL too.

Here is probably a very odd suggestion. I have some obsession with alphabetical order & putting things in order & am quite aware that someone without this obsession may not find this a great idea for a game so my feelings will not be hurt at all :) but I was thinking of your favorite 20 characters that start with the letter 'A' or favorite characters that start with the letters 'A' 'B' or 'C' if there aren't enough for 'A'

Or just plain ole favorite character. Have we done that yet?

The very first GG I participated in was favorite dynamic duo & it was fun. We could do that also.

Anyway I'm going to post in the OP all the other topics & winners we've had for easy reference. Then new hosts can just copy & add the next topic to their OP :)

Got overwhelmed with visitors and lost track of this game for a few days. Am stunned (in a good way) to see I finished second.

Here's my list complete with comments to Lyanna. As you'll see, I used a completely different definition of "badass" than the rest of y'all. The result is that once the game started, I had to adjust on the fly and ignore the list I wrote.

As promised, I have plundered the EG list from last winter. But it has some startling omissions. The guy I'm about to put #1 is not on the list of 30. A bunch of my top guys are not on the list for who knows what reasons. But then if we all had the same list this wouldn't be much of a contest would it. [;)]

1) Gregor Clegane
2) Khal Drogo
3) Oberyn Martell
4) Daario Naharis
5) Jamie Lannister
6) Shagga son of Dolf
7) Sandor Clegane
8) Euron Greyjoy
9) Tywin Lannister
10) Robert Baratheon
11) Brynden Blackfish
12) Lyn Corbray
13) Gerold Dayne
14) Victarion Greyjoy
15) Mance Rayder
16) Bloodraven
17) Barristan Selmy
18) Styr, Magnar of the Thenns
19) Roderick Dustin
20) Daemon Blackfyre

23) Jorah Mormont

24) Arya Stark

25) Qhorin Halfhand

26) Gerold Hightower

27) Lame Lothor Frey (not physically up to being a badass perhaps, but he has the smarts & evil for it)

28) Tormund Giantsbane
29) Baelor Breakspear
30) Stannis Baratheon
31) Duncan the Tall
32) Bronn
33) Arthur Dayne
34) Lothar Brune
35) Strong Belwas
36) Brienne of Tarth
37) LF
38) Varys
39) Greatjon Umber
40) the Ned [:P]
wooff.
This was way harder than I expected Qhorin & Stannis started in at 6 and 14 on my list respectively. I kept pushing them down in favor of guys who had more of the "bad" and the "ass". King Robert fell from 3rd. He's got some bad in him, but others had more, so down he goes.
The historic badasses are not much in evidence because I have not read most of those stories. Essos feels a little under represented as well. More members of Drogo's Khal could have made it.
Anyway, I now feel pretty good about my badass list. [:P]

Here is probably a very odd suggestion. I have some obsession with alphabetical order & putting things in order & am quite aware that someone without this obsession may not find this a great idea for a game so my feelings will not be hurt at all :) but I was thinking of your favorite 20 characters that start with the letter 'A' or favorite characters that start with the letters 'A' 'B' or 'C' if there aren't enough for 'A'

Or just plain ole favorite character. Have we done that yet?

The very first GG I participated in was favorite dynamic duo & it was fun. We could do that also.

Anyway I'm going to post in the OP all the other topics & winners we've had for easy reference. Then new hosts can just copy & add the next topic to their OP :)

I like the first idea, but with a slight adjustment: how about a list of 26 favorite characters - one for each letter? I have no idea how you would do the rounds, and some letters might be very tough to choose.

I like the first idea, but with a slight adjustment: how about a list of 26 favorite characters - one for each letter? I have no idea how you would do the rounds, and some letters might be very tough to choose.

I love it! We could figure out the rounds. We might have to exclude 'Z' though because I'm not sure there is a notable character that starts with 'Z'

I love it! We could figure out the rounds. We might have to exclude 'Z' though because I'm not sure there is a notable character that starts with 'Z'

Here's the wiki alphabetized character list: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/List_of_Characters#XYZ

X is the letter that has only 2 names. Z has 6 or 8.

Here's the wiki alphabetized character list: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/List_of_Characters#XYZ

X is the letter that has only 2 names. Z has 6 or 8.

This could be fun... now I am wondering tho... could we use nicknames and regular names so I could choose Jaime for J or K...

Perhaps we could agree all to stick to the wiki list. Just keep the order of the first letter of the firstname.

I don't like that idea at all - some letters would have a bunch of great characters, some letters have barely any characters at all. It would be extremely unbalanced.

Perhaps we could agree all to stick to the wiki list. Just keep the order of the first letter of the firstname.

This is probably a good idea. So everyone's list would have 26 entries, starting with each letter of the alphabet. Just to be clear the list would not necessarily have your pick for 'A' at one or 'B' at 2. They would be in order or how you like them

Archived