#AskACop - CNN has a bad day

Fragile Bird

Ask John Crawford, who was killed by cops for the crime of holding a BB gun in a Walmart in an open carry state. Or his girlfriend, who was harassed and berated by cops trying to cover up for their enormous fuckup. Ask Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old who was killed for holding a plastic gun. Ask that toddler who had a hole blown into him when police tossed a flash-bang grenade while breaking into his house to find a drug dealer who didn't live there. There have been no consequences to the police for any of these fuckups.

There should be consequences, harsh ones. Body cameras is a good start on fixing this problem, but as we saw, cameras didn't deter some of these cops. Maybe we need to be more strict on who gets to wear a badge.

That's just mind-boggling. There are several personality traits they could have measured that would be better indications of susceptibility to boredom than IQ, for goodness sake. And it seems to me that someone with a high IQ might actually be able to better figure out how to deal with the boring aspects of any job than someone with an average IQ who had those personality traits.

Scot, your post lent the idea that this was a preposterous position for a police force to take.

Reading the article just ramps that up to mind-blowing. There are so many things wrong with the reasoning for rejecting high-IQ candidates that I don't even know where to begin.

Pretty sure the actual rationale is that they're more likely to be able to find a "better job" in terms of pay/quality of life/whatever. So unless they're someone for whom being a cop is a calling rather than a job, they're inherently a higher turnover risk. I think the boredom thing is just a way to couch that.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves people, so far it seem to be just one small city who has this hiring practice back in 1995. I also think blueray is also correct about the high turnover rate rationale behind it.

I've never heard of it, I remember that it was an issue for Dicrapios character in the Departed.

I don't know if it is hubris or naivety or what, but it does seem like many organizations or individuals in the midst of a controversy seem to think that there is some "silent majority" that wants to voice their support, if only they had an avenue to do so. This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how Twitter works - it is a much better forum for outrage and mockery than it is for nuanced discussion.

Sounds familiar...

Archived