What is it about S4 that makes it so much more watchable than S1-3?

JaimetheConciliator

Season 4 for me was massively disappointing, I was seriously considering giving up watching GOT after season 4 ended. They killed it. way too fast paced, it sometimes seemed like watching a series of clips about a show, where you were left thinking, oh that looks like it might be a good show I'll have to try and catch it.

The additional scenes were awful, that dreadful Orson dialogue with tyrion & Jaime, the wooden "This is who I am" dialogue with oberyn & Tyrion.

I have some hope after seeing the season 5 trailer this morning, but I'm not holding out.

Season 3 was a great waste I feel. The Starks had so little screentime. And what little they had was hardly memorable. Well I guess I do remember their ridiculous plan to attack Casterly Rock and the grand music that was playing as though it was the best plan ever (another peeve is the way they dumbed down the strategies involved in their battles but I am sure the writers rationalised that it makes the show more accessible). I think Theon Greyjoy had more screentime than Catelyn Stark before episode 9. Which was a great pity since it sort of took away the impact of an otherwise excellent scene (I had goosebumps when the Rains of Castamere began playing).

Season 3 was a great waste I feel. The Starks had so little screentime. And what little they had was hardly memorable. Well I guess I do remember their ridiculous plan to attack Casterly Rock and the grand music that was playing as though it was the best plan ever (another peeve is the way they dumbed down the strategies involved in their battles but I am sure the writers rationalised that it makes the show more accessible). I think Theon Greyjoy had more screentime than Catelyn Stark before episode 9. Which was a great pity since it sort of took away the impact of an otherwise excellent scene (I had goosebumps when the Rains of Castamere began playing).

To be fair Robb's book plan wasn't that good either. I'm more pissed about their clumsiness with the troop numbers. Karstarks composing half of Robb's army, the Tyrells having less men than the Starks and the Lannisters and yet Renly has 100K men and that sort of things.

Season 4 for me was massively disappointing, I was seriously considering giving up watching GOT after season 4 ended. They killed it. way too fast paced, it sometimes seemed like watching a series of clips about a show, where you were left thinking, oh that looks like it might be a good show I'll have to try and catch it.

The additional scenes were awful, that dreadful Orson dialogue with tyrion & Jaime, the wooden "This is who I am" dialogue with oberyn & Tyrion.

I have some hope after seeing the season 5 trailer this morning, but I'm not holding out.

Which dialogue is that? Their first one? I thought it was terrific.

It was dreadful so wooden. The way had to explain who he was and what the Lannister's did to his sister etc. good writing sets it up so that the audience understand the relationships and can recall the back story without having to have it spoon fed If they spent a not more time name dropping the other houses, the history ect and a bit less inventing bollocks they could have avoided that dreadful scene. Show only friends were asking me who prince Rhaegar is, and had completely forgotton Danaerys was a former royal of Westeros. One even had to ask me who the Targaryens were and was astonished when I explained Khalisi is one!

Part of it is that S4 is a pretty faithful portrayal of the 2nd half of ASOS, which is arguably the best 400 pages of fantasy writing of all time

But part of it is that the production and writing team is doing an amazing job, top-to-bottom. It's why I have faith in their ability to make the difficult adaptation decisions that are needed from here on out

Top 15 Episodes of the Show for Me

1. Blackwater (2x09)

2. The Rains of Castamere (3x09)

3. The Lion and the Rose (4x02)

4. Baelor (1x09)

5. And Now His Watch Is Ended (3x04)

6. The Children (4x10)

7. Fire and Blood (1x10)

8. The Mountain and the Viper (4x08)

9. Valar Morghulis (2x10)

10. A Golden Crown (1x06)

11. Second Sons (3x08)

12. You Win or You Die (1x07)

13. Watchers on the Wall (4x09)

14. Mhysa (3x10)

15. The Old Gods and the New (2x06)

I don't know why more people don't go nuts for Watchers on the Wall. The only other thing in the series that compares to Grenn's last stand is Tyrion's giant green fireball.

The Kingsroad (1x02) does an amazing job delivering a truckload of exposition and a gripping story at the same time.

No list of best episodes is complete without The Old Gods and the New (2x06).

1. Blackwater

2. The Rains of Castamere

3. Baelor

4. The Lion and the Rose

5. The Watchers on the Wall

6. The Children

7. Kissed by Fire

8. You Win or You Die

9. A Golden Crown

10. The Laws of Gods and Men

11. And Now His Watch is Ended

12. The Mountain and the Viper

13. Fire and Blood

14. What is Dead May Never Die

15. Mockingbird

16. The Kingsroad

17. The Pointy End

18. Winter is Coming

19 . Second Sons

20. Valar Morghulis

I don't know why more people don't go nuts for Watchers on the Wall. The only other thing in the series that compares to Grenn's last stand is Tyrion's giant green fireball.

The Kingsroad (1x02) does an amazing job delivering a truckload of exposition and a gripping story at the same time.

No list of best episodes is complete without The Old Gods and the New (2x06).

It was a disappointing episode for a lot of people. People who weren't Jon fans didn't want to spend a whole episode at the Wall, a lot of people wanted to know what's going to happen with Tyrion and Stannis fans were disappointed for obvious reasons.

Well, I'm glad you liked it! Don't see how the series would be better served by a smaller and not-so-epic battle for the wall.

Tyrion got his fair shake in eps 8 and 10, and it's not 4x09's fault that the producers refuse to give us even a hint of Mannis fan service. (Seriously, if Stannis doesn't nod to Jon, I'm gonna need a pillow handy so I don't throw something breakable across the room.)

Let's play!

1. Baelor (01x09)

2. Blackwater (02x09)

3. The Rains of Castamere (03x09)

4. Fire and Blood (01x10)

5. And Now His Watch Is Ended (03x04)

6. The Watchers On The Wall (04x09)

7. Kissed by Fire (03x05)

8. The Children (04x10)

9. The Lion and The Rose (04x02)

10. What Is Dead May Never Die (02x03)

11. The Mountain and The Viper (04x08)

12. Mockingbird (04x07)

13. The Laws of Gods and Men (04x06)

14. The Old Gods and The New (02x06)

15. A Golden Crown (01x06)

1. The Watchers on the Wall (4x09)

2. Blackwater (2x09)

3. The Old Gods and The New (2x06)

4. And Now His Watch Is Ended (3x04)

5. The Kingsroad (1x02)

6. Two Swords (4x01)

7. The Mountain and The Viper (4x08)

8. A Golden Crown (1x06)

9. Oathkeeper (4x04)

10. You Win or You Die (1x07)

1. The Rains of Castamere (3x09)

2. Kissed by Fire (3x05)

3. The Lion and the Rose (4x02)

4. Blackwater (2x09)

5. Baelor (1x09)

6. The Mountain and the Viper (4x08)

7. Garden of Bones (2x04)

8. Watchers on the Wall (4x09)

9. And Now his Watch is Ended (3x04)

10. The Laws of Gods and Men (4x06)

Since lists are sort of a thing now.

Soundtracks:

1. Season 2

2. Season 1

3. Season 3

4. Season 4

Directors:

1. Neil Marshall

2. Alik Sakharov

3. Daniel Minahan

4. Alex Graves

5. David Nutter

Official Posters (lol):

1. Season 2

2. Season 1

3. Season 3

4. Season 4

Not sure what the poster list has to with the watchability of the seasons, lol.

Archived