What is it about S4 that makes it so much more watchable than S1-3?

JaimetheConciliator

I think they killed Myranda in a graphically violent, sexually aggresive way. After all the backlash for Craster's Keep and the Cersei rape they probably figured that another unnecessary case of brutal, degrading violence against a woman wasn't their best idea. That's probably part of the reason we ended up with that epic turd of a storyline.

I think they killed Myranda in a graphically violent, sexually aggresive way. After all the backlash for Craster's Keep and the Cersei rape they probably figured that another unnecessary case of brutal, degrading violence against a woman wasn't their best idea. That's probably part of the reason we ended up with that epic turd of a storyline.

There have been people who saw the whole season before it aired and nothing came out of edit and/or changes to that scene. The iasue is more having one scene for a particular storyline which suffer feeling very out of place.

What backlash with the Cersei "rape" scene? Episode 4 had higher ratings than Episode 3. I know full of the problems of the scene but the controversy in mainstream entertainment was something for a few days and really forgotten.

I think the only reasons for that scene were to give Yara some screen time and show that Theon is now a Reek.

It was so poorly edited that you would never believe that it was part of a premier HBO series. I don't know what to compare it with.

The biggest problem this season was editing in general. I think Watchers on the Wall was so good because it didn't jump all over the place. They need to focus on one or two major plot lines per episode, with maybe a cut to Daenerys or Arya, since their stories can be told shorter and generally can't hold an episode on their own. Obviously there are exceptions for major events. The way they used Daenerys' plot as bookends in season 3 was just right.

The war in the North is not something that you can really tell in bits and pieces though. It kind of wastes the Greyjoys to show them in bits in pieces, because they are major contenders and their actions have major consequences all over Westeros.

It was so poorly edited that you would never believe that it was part of a premier HBO series. I don't know what to compare it with.

The biggest problem this season was editing in general. I think Watchers on the Wall was so good because it didn't jump all over the place. They need to focus on one or two major plot lines per episode, with maybe a cut to Daenerys or Arya, since their stories can be told shorter and generally can't hold an episode on their own. Obviously there are exceptions for major events. The way they used Daenerys' plot as bookends in season 3 was just right.

The war in the North is not something that you can really tell in bits and pieces though. It kind of wastes the Greyjoys to show them in bits in pieces, because they are major contenders and their actions have major consequences all over Westeros.

While I agree that particular scene was awful on every level, the concept, execution, editing....I did think that overall the editing of season 4 was pretty good. They always make what I consider strange choices where they spend a ton of time on totally irrelevant stuff and then rush through crucial exchanges, but that's really an artistic writing decision, not editing/direction.

Charlotte Hope confirmed for Seaosn 5, so she's alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Beetles anyone? It's not the only scene from the season where I automatically reach for the fast-forward button, but it is the one that immediately springs to mind.

Thank god someone else has mentioned this, I can't stand the beetles scene whatsoever.

I really disagree with this whole Season 4 being better than the other seasons. Sure, it was a great season, they had a lot of big moments in it, but with Seasons 1-3, they consistently had interesting scenes throughout the whole season. I've rewatched the seasons so many times and I think people forget how good the older seasons were. There's more interesting conversations and the whole season really lays out the plot. Whereas Season 4 isn't the same, with the Mountain and the Viper episode, hardly anything interesting happens in that episode, you're just sat waiting for the fight scene; and it's like that for most of the other episodes, kind of like Joffery's wedding, it was interesting but the first half hour of that episode was pretty average.

Thank god someone else has mentioned this, I can't stand the beetles scene whatsoever.

I really disagree with this whole Season 4 being better than the other seasons. Sure, it was a great season, they had a lot of big moments in it, but with Seasons 1-3, they consistently had interesting scenes throughout the whole season. I've rewatched the seasons so many times and I think people forget how good the older seasons were. There's more interesting conversations and the whole season really lays out the plot. Whereas Season 4 isn't the same, with the Mountain and the Viper episode, hardly anything interesting happens in that episode, you're just sat waiting for the fight scene; and it's like that for most of the other episodes, kind of like Joffery's wedding, it was interesting but the first half hour of that episode was pretty average.

Personally I really liked the Theon/Ramsay stuff in Episode 8.

Well yeah so did I, but that's the point. I practically didn't even remember it without being reminded, not much of that episode sticks with me unless I rewatch it or re-look it up. It's just not very memorable.

I liked the episode as a whole, the main three storylines (Sansa, Theon and KL except the beetles) were good, but I get what you're saying. All my unsullied friends were only interested in the trial itself, but meh, it's their problem.

I can't not see season 4 as a transitional season. The thing is that we had lots of cinematic and awesome particular scenes from the source material.

The Lion and the Rose might have even been my favorite episode of the season. The other big episodes always had a one or two scenes that I really didn't like. Episode 6 had Yara and the dogs, Episode 8 had unprepared Littlefinger, Darth Sansa, Ninja Biter and Rorgexposition and Dany's fascination with the ceiling, Episode 9 didn't end properly and Episode 10 had the skeleton fight.

I liked the episode as a whole, the main three storylines (Sansa, Theon and KL except the beetles) were good, but I get what you're saying. All my unsullied friends were only interested in the trial itself, but meh, it's their problem.

I can't not see season 4 as a transitional season. The thing is that we had lots of cinematic and awesome particular scenes from the source material.

The thing with season 4 is that they tended to focus on one, more dramatic climax with the episode filled with 45 minutes of conversations that are just plain filler e.g. the ten pirate ships joke with Davos, the beetles conversation etc. and just obvious conversation where they're just reminding the viewers of the plot e.g. "remember that time when we did this and now that guy really hates us because of it?"

Another bad thing about Season 4 is that they've moved away from medieval dialogue a lot.

Archived