Greatest of all time

Jack Bauer 24

David Chase is from New Jersey.

I'm from the Midwest, but I did grow up in an Italian American family, and much of the show really resonates with me. Not so much the mob parts per se, but the family side.

And there is actually still a pretty prevalent mob presence in the greater NY area. One of the largest mob busts in the history of the country was in 2010 in NY.

That's true, they did touch on that side of it well. Sorry if my comment seemed disparaging to Mid-westerners. And admittedly I live kind of where the "mountains" (read: backwoods) of NJ start, so maybe I'm just not in the right part of the state, but growing up I heard a lot more about the Russian mob than I did about the Italian mob.

And since Mad Men has been brought up, I can also give The Sopranos that I like it more than Mad Men. I tried to get into Mad Men a few times, just ended up getting bored. Not for me I guess.

You know what would make a good comic bit for a TV award show ? All these TV ' badasses' meeting up in some sort of TV characters paradise eg Vic, Walt, Tony, the guys from Wire etc

That would be cool. Gandolfini (Tony) passed away last year though.

Breaking Bad offered a damn good ride, and I'd rather watch Walter White for the hundredth time than anything else airing on TV right now, but it doesn't come anywhere near The Sopranos for me. Now, I'm not saying Breaking Bad is overrated or anything, but a huge deal of its popularity and the fanbase praising it as God's gift to man is due to social media. Most of my friends couldn't stop talking about Breaking Bad, but they just kind of brushed The Sopranos off. Breaking Bad was the show to watch, and honestly, I think that may have been a factor in the whole critical acclaim thing as well. Again, I'm not saying it wasn't a good show, but it was so deeply rooted in pop culture that you can't really look at it objectively.

I've only watched Season 1 of The Wire, so I can't really talk about it all that much besides that it was also a very good show.

Breaking Bad offered a damn good ride, and I'd rather watch Walter White for the hundredth time than anything else airing on TV right now, but it doesn't come anywhere near The Sopranos for me. Now, I'm not saying Breaking Bad is overrated or anything, but a huge deal of its popularity and the fanbase praising it as God's gift to man is due to social media. Most of my friends couldn't stop talking about Breaking Bad, but they just kind of brushed The Sopranos off. Breaking Bad was the show to watch, and honestly, I think that may have been a factor in the whole critical acclaim thing as well. Again, I'm not saying it wasn't a good show, but it was so deeply rooted in pop culture that you can't really look at it objectively.

I've only watched Season 1 of The Wire, so I can't really talk about it all that much besides that it was also a very good show.

If Facebook and Twitter existed back then, you could expect the same phenomenon about The Sopranos actually

Archived