Greatest of all time

Jack Bauer 24

I'm currently watching The Wire and I would have said before watching it that there's no way anything is better than Breaking Bad, but the Wire may beat it out. I'll know once I'm done. I'm on Season 4 and it has shocked me that the show is getting better as it goes along. That usually doesn't happen with TV shows. Plus, the Wire had Idris Elba. I don't think that he alone should be an argument for why it's better, but he is Idris Elba.

I'm currently watching The Wire and I would have said before watching it that there's no way anything is better than Breaking Bad, but the Wire may beat it out. I'll know once I'm done. I'm on Season 4 and it has shocked me that the show is getting better as it goes along. That usually doesn't happen with TV shows. Plus, the Wire had Idris Elba. I don't think that he alone should be an argument for why it's better, but he is Idris Elba.

I personally think that The Wire was better than Breaking Bad, but that's just my opinion.

Unfortunately the final season is the worst, but it has a great finale.

Firefly is the best thing to ever hit a television screen in broadcast...

Breaking Bad is by far a superior show than The Wire... As I have mentioned often, The Wire is incredibly over rated.

You should probably explain that your opinion of The Wire is based of like a season and 1/2 of the show. IIRC you quit in the middle of S2.

If either of the shows are overrated it's Breaking Bad.

I think you could call The Wire overrated mostly because it was something of a failure at it's own medium. In order to really enjoy and appreciate The Wire, you need to view entire seasons. It's not just a matter of having an overarching plot, but that the episodes are difficult to enjoy or even follow if viewed out of order. Lots of great shows (Mad Men, Deadwood) suffer from this to some extent, but none as much as The Wire. If it weren't for the ability to purchase or stream entire seasons, I think the Wire would be largely forgotten, or at best something that only a few hardcore fans are passionate about.

In this respect, I think that shows like The Sopranos and Band of Brothers have been much more successful in making episodes that are simultaneously engaging in an episodic format, but have great depth over their entire season-long run.

You should probably explain that your opinion of The Wire is based of like a season and 1/2 of the show. IIRC you quit in the middle of S2.

If either of the shows are overrated it's Breaking Bad.

Nope... I finally choked down the rest of the series... Season five was awful... Season three had its best moments. Season two was not very good, and seasons one and four were mediocre...

The Wire is the most over rated TV show of all time.

I think you could call The Wire overrated mostly because it was something of a failure at it's own medium. In order to really enjoy and appreciate The Wire, you need to view entire seasons. It's not just a matter of having an overarching plot, but that the episodes are difficult to enjoy or even follow if viewed out of order. Lots of great shows (Mad Men, Deadwood) suffer from this to some extent, but none as much as The Wire. If it weren't for the ability to purchase or stream entire seasons, I think the Wire would be largely forgotten, or at best something that only a few hardcore fans are passionate about.

In this respect, I think that shows like The Sopranos and Band of Brothers have been much more successful in making episodes that are simultaneously engaging in an episodic format, but have great depth over their entire season-long run.

I actually like this about the Wire. I'd much rather watch a show that feels more like 10 hour movie than a show where every episode is it's own little adventure. This is probably why I like GoT more than many other people on this site.

Nope... I finally choked down the rest of the series... Season five was awful... Season three had its best moments. Season two was not very good, and seasons one and four were mediocre...

Gonna drop my customary "Season 2 is so underrated." comment right here.

I actually like this about the Wire. I'd much rather watch a show that feels more like 10 hour movie than a show where every episode is it's own little adventure. This is probably why I like GoT more than many other people on this site.

Yeah, some people like it for sure. I personally like the individual episodes to have more punch to them, because I just never have the time to watch more than 1 or 2 Wire episodes in a row.

It's not like my criticism is some harsh indictment, I think The Wire is a great show, but it definitely contributed to it's failure to garner a large following the way these other shows have.

Yeah, some people like it for sure. I personally like the individual episodes to have more punch to them, because I just never have the time to watch more than 1 or 2 Wire episodes in a row.

It's not like my criticism is some harsh indictment, I think The Wire is a great show, but it definitely contributed to it's failure to garner a large following the way these other shows have.

:cheers:

Gotta have a minimum of 10 explosions per episode or it's not worth it.

I can't take any of this seriously if you are saying Firefly is the best show ever.

Rockroi posted this in the Deadwood thread but I think it is relevant to saying shows like firefly are theGOAT as well

I think that Deadwood is the "trendy" show to mention as "one of the best shows ever" merely because it never achieved wide-ranged recognition, acclaim or popularity. And it left us way way way too soon.

Its sort of having a conversation about "all time great comedians" and people start nodding and say "George Carlin was a genius" and people nod; then somebody else says "For longevity, Bill Cosby was amazing" and people nod; then another says "Richard Pryor was the greatest" and more people nod. An dthen the names start flying around - Roseann, Don Rickles, Gerry Seinfeld, Bob Newhart" And then somebody say s"Louis CK" and people nod, but other people groan because "He's gotta do more" and then it devolves - people say "Woody Allen" and that starts TWO different debates- does he count as a stand up comedian and if we want to discuss outsdie controversy. And thenames are flying back and forth.

And then... in the shadows, a guy flicks a cigarette, purposely missing his ashtray. Ad he puts on his sun-glasses even though its dark inside. And he says "Bill Hicks is the Greatest Comedian who ever lived."

And nobody says a word.

Deadwood is the Bill Hicks of TV shows.

I agree about The Wire, but I think Mad Men is actually very good at this. Often because it's able to frame episodes around a 'pitch of the week.'

Archived