Favourite Ruler Described in AWOIAF?

There's a scene in the show when Tywin Lannister asks Tommen what makes a good king, and so to address it towards AWOIAF, of all the kings mentioned in the book, who was the best?

Myself, I'd probably choose Daeron I, else I would choose the first Justman of the Riverlands, or perhaps even Aegon the Conqueror.

No, Tommen does not adress it towards AWOIAF. There never was a King Orys who was murdered by his own brother, so that's a major flaw there.

My top 5 would be

The Old King (with the name hard to spell)

Tywin Lannister

Daeron II

Jon Arryn

Aegon the Dragon

• 2 weeks later...

Nymeria (No need to explain this)

Jaeherys I

Theon Stark (the guy was nothing short of a badass- he repelled the Andals, Iron Born. and the Wildlings)

Tohren Stark (he saved a lot of lives by bending the knee)

Aegon III (he really wanted to help the smallfolk and reminds me somewhat of Edmure)

Honorable mentions: While Meria Martell's resistance costed lives, she managed to tell a lady with a gigantic, fire-breathing lizard to get out, resisted the Targaryens repeated attempts to conquer Dorne and kept the Dornish independent, which is very impressive.

I was intrigued by the Fisher Queens and the way everyone paid tribute to them. They must have had something going for them to be favoured by the gods and be sought out so much for counsel.

It also made me think a bit of the Gardeners and if the first men did come from the Grasslands maybe the Gardeners modelled themselves on the Fisher Queens as being the top dogs in the region whilst also others having power too but peace being maintained because everyone respected the primacy of House Gardener.

Nymeria and Benedict Justman were two great pre-Targaryen rulers. Wise, fierce, intelligent, just and good.

I think that my two favorite Targaryen kings are Jaehaerys the Conciliator and Baelor the Blessed. Jaehaerys was, in essence, everything a king should be. He gave the Seven Kingdoms over fifty years of peace and plenty, reformed the laws, improved Kings Landing, built the great roads, and united a divided continent. He was just incredible.

Baelor is very underrated king, as far as I'm concerned. He was brave, as shown by his walk to Dorne. He was intelligent and diplomatic, as shown by his peace treaty with the Martells, which helped pave the way for the later peaceful union of Dorne with the rest of Westeros. He gave away the crown's money to feed the poor, built the Great Sept, and ruled over a decade of happiness after a devastating war. He might have been eccentric, but I think he was a great ruler.

totally agree

I agree that Benedict I, founder of the Justmans, seemed to be a decent chap. Quellon Greyjoy was also admirable.

sadly none of quellons kids seems to have got his wisdom

Quellon Greyjoy, he seemed to be a very rational leader, also he introduced maesters to the Iron Islands, that is something that cannot be underestimated!

Yet in the end he proved too cautious, IMO. Robert's Rebellion was a great opportunity for the Ironborn to make real gains and alliances, yet Quellon insisted on doing nothing until the very end (which was also Tywin's strategy but his actions actually had an important effect).

Yet in the end he proved too cautious, IMO. Robert's Rebellion was a great opportunity for the Ironborn to make real gains and alliances, yet Quellon insisted on doing nothing until the very end (which was also Tywin's strategy but his actions actually had an important effect).

Quellon's problem had less to do with making alliances and gains and more to do with his dipshit son throwing away the advances and progressions he'd given the Iron Islands in favor of living out the good old days all over again.

Quellon was a badass fighter even, but because he wasn't an illiterate pirate chucklefuck who thought rape and pillage was truly the absolute height of societal sophistication his people could aspire to he wasn't well-liked by Balon.

Archived