Ned Stark on the Wall

Carllav

I can't help but think how different the whole story would be if Ned had ended up joining the Nights Watch. Would the Fists of the First men still would have happened? Would Mormont still be alive? Would Ned have let the wildlings cross the wall?

He probably would be killed on his way/on Wall. He knows to much about Varys , Littlefinger and Cersei.

I doubt that. By all accounts, he was supposed to have lived out the rest of his life on the Wall. Varys and Cercei were both pushing for this and were both furiously trying to change the king's mind about beheading Ned in the few moments of complete chaos that ensued after Joffrey demanded Ned's head.

They knew that Ned was completely rigid in his unwavering duty and honor. They had nothing to fear from him once on the Wall.

I doubt that. By all accounts, he was supposed to have lived out the rest of his life on the Wall. Varys and Cercei were both pushing for this and were both furiously trying to change the king's mind about beheading Ned in the few moments of complete chaos that ensued after Joffrey demanded Ned's head.

They knew that Ned was completely rigid in his unwavering duty and honor. They had nothing to fear from him once on the Wall.

So they really lucked out on home being beheaded. Cause otherwise, he would have been a huge problem in their plans

Ned absolutely had to die for this story, as we know it, to even happen. So, Martin made sure he died ;) If Ned had gone to the Wall would Robb have declared himself King of the North? I don't think so and that means Winterfell would never have fallen to Theon and the Iron Born and the Boltons would probably still be in check. In addition, I don't believe for a second that Ned wouldn't have still done what he could to help his kids (especially Sansa and Arya until they were safely back home) even though he was on the Wall given what we know of his history in terms of "honor". Finally, Ned would have immediately become Mormont's right hand man and would have been an absolute no-brainer shoo-in as the next Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Mormont may have even stepped down very quickly for Ned to take over.

So, yep, Ned had to be completely removed from the story in order for the next generation, so to speak, (i.e. his kids, nephew-I believe R+L=J, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, Cercei, etc.), to become the central characters. This was always the plan. And, if Ned were at the Wall or better yet LC, we readers would spend the rest of the story asking why he's not doing this or that to help because he certainly could? And furthermore, saying that he took an oath not to would not be satisfying or realistic, imo, given what we already know of his history (i.e. protecting his family/children/innocents, taking hits to his honor, etc.)

Well if Ned had gone to the Wall, Robb would have gone home, to be the Stark and married Wylla Manderly or Alys Karstark, Sansa would have married Joffrey or tyrion, Arya would have traveled home with daddy, Mormant would STILL have gone ranging, leaving Ned at the wall, Jon would probably have had a similar story, but not being LC, Bran wpould still become a grenseer but more slowly, Rickon ?????

Would Ned have arrived at the Wall prior to Mormont setting out? They left very early on in ACOK, and a sea journey from King's Landing to Eastwatch isn't instantaneous. Furthermore, Ned's leg is still banged up, so he's probably not ranging. More likely than not he would have assumed command after Mormont left, listened to Jon when he arrived, and the ensuing battles would have been pretty much the same. Stannis still shows up when he does, he and Ned square off a bit, Ned is elected LC. He takes some of Jon's advice on incorporating the wildlings but not nearly as much. Oh, and as said above Robb does not declare himself king, Roose stays in line, and pretty much the entire Northern part of the WOT5K is avoided. I assume Stannis and Renly would have followed a similar path, though one of them may have been drawn into battle earlier without Robb for Tywin to consider.

Ned absolutely had to die for this story, as we know it, to even happen. So, Martin made sure he died ;)

Yep. Ned was too stable. Always bound by honor, not greedy, or wrathful, or lazy.

If he did not lose to Cersi, there would probably have been no war at all (maybe a little noise from the Lannisters, but it would not have lasted long). He would have paid the kingdom's debts, he would have sent more men to the well, he would have left Daenerys alone... basically, there would be no story.

If he were sent to the wall, his honor would have prevented him from trying to escape in any way. The Starks (and the entire North) would have been kept under-control. Again, multiple wars would have been avoided. And Ned would have probably been the perfect leader for the wall. So things would have gone much more smoothly in that area. Not to mention that, again, without war more men would have been sent tot he wall. Especially since people would have listened to Ned when they started sending out ravens asking for help.

And if you keep going down that path, it is easy to assume that Tywin would not have been killed. Which means that Cersi would have been kept under control.

Like you said, Ned very much had to be killed. The world was relativity stable with him in it.

Granted... the people pulling the string in the background would have still been manipulating events towards their goals. So, Ned likely would have been killed on his way to the wall. Which probably would have still lead to the North revolting.

Ned absolutely had to die for this story, as we know it, to even happen. So, Martin made sure he died ;) If Ned had gone to the Wall would Robb have declared himself King of the North? I don't think so and that means Winterfell would never have fallen to Theon and the Iron Born and the Boltons would probably still be in check. In addition, I don't believe for a second that Ned wouldn't have still done what he could to help his kids (especially Sansa and Arya until they were safely back home) even though he was on the Wall given what we know of his history in terms of "honor". Finally, Ned would have immediately become Mormont's right hand man and would have been an absolute no-brainer shoo-in as the next Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Mormont may have even stepped down very quickly for Ned to take over.

So, yep, Ned had to be completely removed from the story in order for the next generation, so to speak, (i.e. his kids, nephew-I believe R+L=J, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, Cercei, etc.), to become the central characters. This was always the plan. And, if Ned were at the Wall or better yet LC, we readers would spend the rest of the story asking why he's not doing this or that to help because he certainly could? And furthermore, saying that he took an oath not to would not be satisfying or realistic, imo, given what we already know of his history (i.e. protecting his family/children/innocents, taking hits to his honor, etc.)

Sad but very true.

Archived