If you were Daenerys, where in Westeros would you make your first landing?

Lord Rupert Connington

Landing on Dragonstone would be ridiculous. Its too close to King's Landing (which at present has thousands of Tyrell troops), and even if the lords of Blackwater Bay were to join her, they can't have any men left. Most of them are probably dead or in the North with Stannis.

And the Vale would be risky. The lords of the Vale seem to be incredibly honorable, and I don't think they would easily forget that Jon Arryn rose up in rebellion after Daenerys' father tried to make him kill young Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon. And there's really no telling what LIttlefinger would do. It's super risky.

Her best option in my opinion would be to land somewhere in the west. Firstly, she could take Victarian's ship and save Oldtown. Of the lords in the South, Lord Leyton would probably have the most men to give her, and he would probably be super grateful to whomever saved his city from the Ironborn. But she'd have to convince him to go to war against his son-in-law, daughter, and his grandchildren.

The other western option is to land in the Westerlands and hope Tyrion can rally the western lords as the Lord of Casterly Rock. It would be a hard sell, but its possible. Genna Lannister could see the genius in Tyrion, so maybe the other lords did as well. And with Kevan's death, they really don't have any options left. Of the descendants of Lord Tytos, there's Cersei (who is incompetent and stuck in King's Landing), Lancel (a Warrior's Son), Lancel's younger brother (a child), Lancel's sister (a toddler), or Genna's brood of Freys. Tyrion would probably look good in such company.

Personally, I can't decide. It's either the Vale or Dragonstone.

The Vale:

Untouched by war and the political situation is very unstable. If Daenerys could get control of the Vale lords, she would certainly have a very large force. I think that the key player would be Bronze Yohn. If he decides to back Dany, I'm sure that the other powerful Vale lords would follow. I also think that Tyrion, as Dany's adviser, would have an enemy in common with Bronze Yohn -Littlefinger. Yes, they fought against Aerys, but if they had to have the choice between Cersei, Stannis, Dany and Aegon (who they'd think would be fake), I'm sure that Daenerys would be their choice.

Dragonstone:

If she lands on Dragonstone, I think that she will be able to gain the Celtigars, Stauntons, Sunglasses ( :cool4: ) and the remaining Velaryons and Bar Emmons (most of their forces are away with Stannis, I presume). It could also mean that Cracklaw Point would declare for her as well. Also, with her being so close to King's Landing, it will put a little bit of fear into whoever sits the Iron Throne at her point of arrival.

The Vale: Yes its untouched by the War, but what makes you think that they will suddenly through their might behind Dany because they favor her over the others. No where does it say that the Vale lords are anti-Stannis, they would most likely support him over a Targ. The only one preventing them from fighting was crazy Lysa Arryn and as such LF. If the Vale lords were to get rid of him, they would support Stannis. So to imply that they have a love for the Targs is a little far fetched

DS: Most of the Houses you mentioned are up at the Wall with Stannis, also they have very little amount of troops to offer her. The Celtigars may be the only ones, and even they have very little amount of men after BW. But DS would be a great place to regroup after a long long trip from Meereen, and acts as a nice spring board to attack KL.

But people need to remember there is a difference between being loyal to someone out of fear, and out of love. So to say someone was a Targ supporter means nothing, if Dany or Aegon have no chance in winning no one is going to back them.

Landing on Dragonstone would be ridiculous. Its too close to King's Landing (which at present has thousands of Tyrell troops), and even if the lords of Blackwater Bay were to join her, they can't have any men left. Most of them are probably dead or in the North with Stannis.

Given the Golden Company invading the Storm Lands and the Iron Born threatening Oldtown/ Highgarden that won't remain the case for long. The primary reason for the Tyrell soldiers being there now is the trial. Once that is resolved they will have to put those troops back into the field or send them home.

Also the capital has no naval strength. So if Dany has the Iron Fleet with her, all the soldiers of the Reach could be in King's Landing and it wouldn't stop her from taking Dragonstone.

Given the Golden Company invading the Storm Lands and the Iron Born threatening Oldtown/ Highgarden that won't remain the case for long. The primary reason for the Tyrell soldiers being there now is the trial. Once that is resolved they will have to put those troops back into the field or send them home.

Also the capital has no naval strength. So if Dany has the Iron Fleet with her, all the soldiers of the Reach could be in King's Landing and it wouldn't stop her from taking Dragonstone.

But as Tyrion points out in a Clash for Kings, unless Daenerys plans on using her dragons to burn King's Landing to the ground, the city won't fall in a day. Cersei will probably have enough time to send for help from the Reach, the Westerlands, or the Riverlands.

But the appeance of the claimed Prince Aegon complicates Dorne's support. Will they support Daenerys over Aegon, who (if it is him) is the son of Doran's sister?

Maybe Dorne can broker an alliance between the two. If I'm Dany I'd rather take the Throne with Aegon than fight him for it. Deal with any sticky aftermath later on

Maybe Dorne can broker an alliance between the two. If I'm Dany I'd rather take the Throne with Aegon than fight him for it. Deal with any sticky aftermath later on

By the time Dany comes to Westeros, she might learn more clues that fAegon is an impostor. After all, she was warned about the mummer's dragon.

By the time Dany comes to Westeros, she might learn more clues that fAegon is an impostor. After all, she was warned about the mummer's dragon.

Yeah, but in this scenario we are Dany, and I don't give a toss about mummer's dragons, prophecies, or visions. So yeah.

But as Tyrion points out in a Clash for Kings, unless Daenerys plans on using her dragons to burn King's Landing to the ground, the city won't fall in a day. Cersei will probably have enough time to send for help from the Reach, the Westerlands, or the Riverlands.

Who said anything about King's Landing?

Take Dragonstone as a base and use your naval superiority to dominate Blackwater Bay. The Crown has no Navy. The Lannister fleet is for protecting Lannisport. They're not gonna sail all the way around the country and leave their own city exposed. And even if they did Victarion would smash them. No one, apart from the Redwynes, can challenge the Iron Fleet and they'll be on the other side of the country or maybe even defeated by Euron.

Take Dragonstone as a base and use your naval superiority to dominate Blackwater Bay. The Crown has no Navy. The Lannister fleet is for protecting Lannisport. They're not gonna sail all the way around the country and leave their own city exposed. And even if they did Victarion would smash them. No one, apart from the Redwynes, can challenge the Iron Fleet and they'll be on the other side of the country or maybe even defeated by Euron.

Dragonstone is a barren location without huge stores. Daenerys is coming with a huge fleet of soldiers and perhaps also civilians. It really isn't a good place to drop off her army, since her landtroops have nowhere to go and there isn't much in the way of food there. Plus, by the time she gets there, the chances are big that the Crown will have a navy.

There is a reason why the conflict between Daenerys and Faegon is described as the Dance 2.0. One of the major similarities with that war is going to be that Faegon has the navy of the Three Daughters at his back. Usually, they wouldn't give a fig, but Daenerys has abolished slavery and will probably control Volantis by that time. All good reasons for the Three Daughters to ally with Faegon and fight her. Plus, at least two of the cities in question have another unique reason to go after her.

We also don't know the condition of Dragonstone as of kow. Does Roland Storm still rule there? Are the Lannisters besieging it? Or was Loras completely truthful and did he in fact take the castle by storm? I think Daenerys will definitely lay claim on it. If she sends a small fleet with men and flies over there with Drogon it will probably fall. But it just isn't a good place to be any kind of threat.

Dragonstone is a barren location without huge stores. Daenerys is coming with a huge fleet of soldiers and perhaps also civilians. It really isn't a good place to drop off her army, since her landtroops have nowhere to go and there isn't much in the way of food there. Plus, by the time she gets there, the chances are big that the Crown will have a navy.

There is a reason why the conflict between Daenerys and Faegon is described as the Dance 2.0. One of the major similarities with that war is going to be that Faegon has the navy of the Three Daughters at his back. Usually, they wouldn't give a fig, but Daenerys has abolished slavery and will probably control Volantis by that time. All good reasons for the Three Daughters to ally with Faegon and fight her. Plus, at least two of the cities in question have another unique reason to go after her.

We also don't know the condition of Dragonstone as of kow. Does Roland Storm still rule there? Are the Lannisters besieging it? Or was Loras completely truthful and did he in fact take the castle by storm? I think Daenerys will definitely lay claim on it. If she sends a small fleet with men and flies over there with Drogon it will probably fall. But it just isn't a good place to be any kind of threat.

Aren't Myr, Tyrosh, and Lys all currently at war with each other? I guess they could put that aside to ally against Danny, but why? By the time she leaves Slavers Bay it's not like beating her is gonna reopen the slave trade.

I think The Redwynes declaring for Aegon in exchange for his help against the Iron Born seems more likely. But It's hard to predict since we don't know who will even be sitting the Iron Throne by the time she arrives.

Also if it is Dance of the Dragons 2.0 then a Queen at Dragonstone challenging King Aegon in the capital fits as well, no?

"There is talk that the Archon of Tyrosh has offered terms to Lys, to end their present trade war. It had been rumored that Myr was about to enter the war on the Tyroshi side, but without the Golden Company the Myrish did not believe they . . .”

I think the Three Whores are about to reassemble.

Aren't Myr, Tyrosh, and Lys all currently at war with each other? I guess they could put that aside to ally against Danny, but why? By the time she leaves Slavers Bay it's not like beating her is gonna reopen the slave trade.

Aside from the passage cited by Mithras Stoneborn, trying to rekindle the slavetrade is exactly what's going to bring them together. Daenerys is the symbol and so far only patron in the quest to abolish slavery. Make no mistake the slave trade is still going strong, but Dany has dealt some severe blows to the more important institutions.

If Daenerys is allowed to remain undefeated, she will eventually finish of the rest of the slavetrade, which is invaluable to the ruling class of the three daughters. Going forward Daenerys can only become stronger and if she gains victory in Westeros, the Three Daughters are truly screwed, because than she has the resources of an entire continent to pour into her mission (+ her dragons are only getting bigger).

They need to defeat her now as quickly as possible, or see the main source of their wealth and power disappear. On top of that, the Three Daughters will feel threatened by her control of Volantis. It was a war with Volantis that brough them together the first time and the second time will be no different.

Add to that that Tyrosh seem to have strong bonds with the Blackfyres (the Archon's brother was present at Illyrio's party) and that Lys has a Blackfyre connection of its own (Samarro Saan, Sallador's grandfather was part of the Band of Nine), plus Lys also has Lynesse Hightower, in a position of great influence. Since her family is fighting the ironborn and Daenerys will have the Iron Fleet at her back, she won't be pleasantly disposed towards her.

Let me tell you where she will land: As close to Aegon as possible to save his ass.

Another factor is time. By the time she makes her landing she may well know she is desperately needed on The Wall and thus she needed to unify the realm under her quickly. In this case she'll probably also land near Aegon then rush Kings Landing, claim the throne and shatter any army dumb enough to oppose her then rush north.

As for what she should do?:

She should make a base in the most friendly free city and send out spies and diplomats to find out the situation. Then she should land wherever she has the most beneficial and easiest landing.

This is almost certainly Dorne. Of all the existing lords the Martells are the most pro-Targaryen. All their armies are still intact. Sunspear is close to Essos and far far away from any Iron-Throne aligned forces by land. Once she is actually in Westeros, on land with her armies and dragons a lot more people will come over to her. It gives her a strong position to advance from and retreat into. If the Tyrells decide to oppose her they will be the most significant armed enemy force and will probably have her beat in terms of numbers, even with Dorne. So luring them on your own ground is probably the way to go and where better to do that than in Dorne?

At the end of the day Dorne is the only place garunteed to support her.

"There is talk that the Archon of Tyrosh has offered terms to Lys, to end their present trade war. It had been rumored that Myr was about to enter the war on the Tyroshi side, but without the Golden Company the Myrish did not believe they . . .”

I think the Three Whores are about to reassemble.

Aside from the passage cited by Mithras Stoneborn, trying to rekindle the slavetrade is exactly what's going to bring them together. Daenerys is the symbol and so far only patron in the quest to abolish slavery. Make no mistake the slave trade is still going strong, but Dany has dealt some severe blows to the more important institutions.

If Daenerys is allowed to remain undefeated, she will eventually finish of the rest of the slavetrade, which is invaluable to the ruling class of the three daughters. Going forward Daenerys can only become stronger and if she gains victory in Westeros, the Three Daughters are truly screwed, because than she has the resources of an entire continent to pour into her mission (+ her dragons are only getting bigger).

They need to defeat her now as quickly as possible, or see the main source of their wealth and power disappear. On top of that, the Three Daughters will feel threatened by her control of Volantis. It was a war with Volantis that brough them together the first time and the second time will be no different.

Add to that that Tyrosh seem to have strong bonds with the Blackfyres (the Archon's brother was present at Illyrio's party) and that Lys has a Blackfyre connection of its own (Samarro Saan, Sallador's grandfather was part of the Band of Nine), plus Lys also has Lynesse Hightower, in a position of great influence. Since her family is fighting the ironborn and Daenerys will have the Iron Fleet at her back, she won't be pleasantly disposed towards her.

Very good points. I thought they were too divided to make an alliance at this point but your argument is pretty convincing.

Thanks for the info

Dragonstone as Aegon the Dragon did. She probably will have support of Velaryons and Aurane Waters.

It would also be epic if she sends ravens announcing her claim. Also, if Tyrell fleet goes to fight Ironborn , Crown doesen't have forces to attack her there.

This. I think Dragonstone is great for symbolic reasons and PR.

And then on directly on Kings Landing.

Exactly. If Dany comes, she's going to presumably come with at least 10,000 mouths to feed. Where on Dragonstone is she going to get the supplies to support that number of people? Is Dragonstone itself even big enough to properly house that many people?

So she takes Dragonstone, and then what? All that does is give the Lannisters/Tyrells time to start seige preperations for King's Landing. Depending on how she takes Dragonstone (By storm vs seige), it may even give Lord Redwyne enough time to break Euron's fleet (he's lost most of his fighting ships to Victarian) and make his way back to Blackwater Bay.

I agree. Dragonstone is a horrible place to disembark tens of thousands of troops. You'd have the problem of feeding that many troops. Disembarking and rembarking that many would be a frickin goat rope. Plus, you'd worry about damage to your naval craft should a bad storm occur. I just can't see any good reason for wanting to screw around there for long. I can understand sending a small task force there. But, it being your major landing place. Hell no.

Archived