If you were Daenerys, where in Westeros would you make your first landing?

Lord Rupert Connington

Victarion lost half his ships just getting to Meereen. Even if the Volanteen slave fleet rises up and joins team Dany, there aren't going to be nearly enough ships to transport all the Unsullied and Dothraki. This idea that Dany is going to land on Westeros with tens of thousands of troops is folly. She'll land with a couple thousand.

Plus, I don't see her leaving Meereen with a power vacuum like she did in Astapor. Most of the Unsullied will remain as an anti-slavery ruling class. I doubt many Dothraki will sail to Westeros either. They'll be used for Dany's anti-slavery crusade in the Free Cities (after Drogon convinces them to change their ways.)

Dorne is the smart and obvious choice.

I do hope that she actually lands on Dragonstone and gets her ass kicked rather quickly and shamefully.

I think it is now but to me the smartest choice before aegon attacked with the golden company was stormlands. there is a power vacuum with a lot of people very unhappy with the tyrells and the lannisters. there is a strong potential ally in dorne that is very unhappy with your enemies very nearby. Landing there forces the strength of the reach to moves away from the crownlands and riverlands area but with the ironmen attacking they cannot afford to concentrate on her alone as the loss of the farms lands of the reach would mean they cannot feed their army , where there is a lot of unrest still from the war like the riverlands loss of that force would lead to a weakening of lannister frey and reach forces that stay behind to the brotherhood and etc...

i also always thought that instead of fighting everyone for the throne the craziness of winter, war and others would have all the lords flocking to her to help them. still think the NW might end up ending kings in westroes.

Victarion lost half his ships just getting to Meereen. Even if the Volanteen slave fleet rises up and joins team Dany, there aren't going to be nearly enough ships to transport all the Unsullied and Dothraki. This idea that Dany is going to land on Westeros with tens of thousands of troops is folly. She'll land with a couple thousand.

I get your argument here. There are certainly going to be limitations on how many people she can bring with her. But, I am inclined to believe that Dany will find sufficient naval craft to get at least a couple of ten thousand troops into Westeros. I mean this Dany were talking about here. She can't take two steps without falling down and finding a misplaced new army or navy. Plus there are probably quite a few ships she could commandeer from Essos. Also, the Voyage isn't going to be as long as it was from the Iron Islands to Mereen.

• 5 months later...

The Vale is far to sail to and also for the Dragons it's far. Going to Dorne using the stepstones for the dragons is the easiest way to cross the narrow sea from where she is now.

But politically it would be better to arrive on Dragonstone and from there invade Kingslanding.

The Tyrells and the Lannisters are at each other throats and will soon have to contend with the Aegon. Rather then risk another brother's war (this time with the Targs) which would only consolidate the Lannister-Tyrells power Id sail North. The Dragons and the unsullied would be enough to tip the balance towards the Manderlys and against the Boltons. Once the North is secured Rickon should be sworn Lord Warden of the North if he bends the knee to Danny. A dragon or two would also be enough to make Sweet Robin shit in his pants and join his army with that of the North + Wildlings, This joint army who should find it easy to topple the weak Frey's control over the Riverlands as Edmure is re-appointed warden of the riverlands and the black fish as counsellor as long they join their army to hers. At that point Id march towards the Westerlands with the Greyjoys hitting the leaderless region from sea. With the Westerlands invaded it would be only a matter of time before the Dornish people join the fray to get their revenge. The Tyrells + the Lannisters will end up surrounded by the enemy from the North and the South

Dorne. But maybe not a welcoming place if Dorne is already allied with fAegon. Particularly if she is coming with Victarion. The Arbor or Oldtown, if Euron has conquered them.

The Dornish people are allied to Aegon and are the only ones who know how to counter dragons. Id hit the underbelly of Westeros, ie the land who need little convincing to grab their weapons again and fight the Lannisters ie the North

The Dornish people are allied to Aegon and are the only ones who know how to counter dragons. Id hit the underbelly of Westeros, ie the land who need little convincing to grab their weapons again and fight the Lannisters ie the North

The North would be the best I agree. But with Winter, the South are the easiest landing places. As some said, a big fleet has no hope to reach the northern latitudes.

ETA: But for assisting Daenerys, I'm not sure. The North has never been much friend with the Targaryens.

The Riverlands , there you have food ,allies(pro Targaryens).,close to the Lannister's power base . You can cut Westeros in half

Food? The Riverlands are in a famine

Allies? The Iron Throne holds hostages of most of the (depleted) Houses there

Close to the Lannister power base? Yes, if you cross the Golden Tooth and fight the Lannister/Frey forces to get there

If she can circumnavigate the world and get to the Iron Islands, it'd be peachy. Euron's Ironborn seem to be the best shot at allies she has, and from Pyke she can invade the Westerlands via Lannisport and the Reach using Euron's footholds there

The Tyrells and the Lannisters are at each other throats and will soon have to contend with the Aegon. Rather then risk another brother's war (this time with the Targs) which would only consolidate the Lannister-Tyrells power Id sail North. The Dragons and the unsullied would be enough to tip the balance towards the Manderlys and against the Boltons. Once the North is secured Rickon should be sworn Lord Warden of the North if he bends the knee to Danny. A dragon or two would also be enough to make Sweet Robin shit in his pants and join his army with that of the North + Wildlings, This joint army who should find it easy to topple the weak Frey's control over the Riverlands as Edmure is re-appointed warden of the riverlands and the black fish as counsellor as long they join their army to hers. At that point Id march towards the Westerlands with the Greyjoys hitting the leaderless region from sea. With the Westerlands invaded it would be only a matter of time before the Dornish people join the fray to get their revenge. The Tyrells + the Lannisters will end up surrounded by the enemy from the North and the South

This actually sounds like a good plan..

Personally, I can't decide. It's either the Vale or Dragonstone.

The Vale:

Untouched by war and the political situation is very unstable. If Daenerys could get control of the Vale lords, she would certainly have a very large force. I think that the key player would be Bronze Yohn. If he decides to back Dany, I'm sure that the other powerful Vale lords would follow. I also think that Tyrion, as Dany's adviser, would have an enemy in common with Bronze Yohn -Littlefinger. Yes, they fought against Aerys, but if they had to have the choice between Cersei, Stannis, Dany and Aegon (who they'd think would be fake), I'm sure that Daenerys would be their choice.

One problem with your Vale theory. Tyrion has no idea about most of the conflict there. He might not even know that Lady Lysa is dead, in which case there's not much political drama there. Plus Tyrion knows she hates him.

As for where Dani might land, I think the North could make sense to land at for several reasons.

1) Jon Snow is there. Ser Barristan might have his own suspicions on Jon's true parents, since he likely knows the truth about Lyanna. Even if he lacks any proof, he might have suspicions. Dani might ask Barristan when learning of Aegon if he knows of any other possible secret Targs out there.He might tell Dani that Howland Reed in the north is the only man who can confirm such suspicion if Jon Snow is a Targ. And Tyrion will know that Jon Snow is at the wall.

2) The North is quite simply easier to conquer at the moment, and more likely to be receptive to a rebel queen seeking to overthrow the Iron Throne and with it the Boltons and Freys (if they're still around and in charge).

3) I think the symbolism of going from conquering the north last, to conquering it first the second time around makes symbolic sense.

4) Not knowing the truth about Aegon yet, it might be wiser to ignore him for the moment while Dani's people investigate him farther. Plus even if he's false, there's the risk she'll be forever branded a kinslayer if she kills him. So it's better to try to avoid picking a fight with Aegon very early in her invasion before she's conquered many others.

I'm going to vote for Dragonstone. It gives her added legitimacy. Plus, you can hold your fleet back, so when anyone sails to oppose you, you show them dragonfire. Voila, control of the sea. send out ravens and see who will declare for you. if you can get White harbour, Gulltown, Storms End to declare for you, make that your landing point. If not, land at Duskendale, and hit KL from sea, shore and air

Archived